Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long did it take you to build your oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How long did it take you to build your oven?

We put the soapstone in afterwards. We make a template, have it cut and then install it.
    Wow, that is one handsome floor! Soapstone is so heavy I can't believe you got it to fit so nicely inside after the dome was built. Would love to hear how the floor performs in cooking various itesms (pizza & flatbreads, hearthbread and roasts).

Thanks for the pics!

Comment

Thanks! My brother and I do cut and fit a lot of other things together, so this was not too much of a stretch for us, thankfully. We have orders for two more to do now. Four so far. I consider us lucky to be able to do it. The soapstone was a piece of cake to put in really. We just made a template. It is heavy, but is so flippin nice to cool on. It does crack, but if you never take it out, the crack doesn't really matter. It just slips in and looks so beautiful. Here is a link to a better selection of pics. Not all by any means, but you can see them better at least.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...OAJ&feat=email

Comment

Four years and counting, but who's counting? (Oh, I guess I am!)
        Picasa web album
        Oven-building thread

Comment

Incredibly, my oven took 1 year to the day to complete.

Cleared the space for the oven to go on 29/8/09
          Click image for larger version

Name:	04 Cleared Space.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	286302

Finished off the deck around the oven on 29/8/10
          Click image for larger version

Name:	103 Nearly Finished.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	286303
          Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
          (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Six months from this:

To this:

A patio cover and the final finishing and we're done!

P.S. This was our first attempt at pizza John
            Last edited by Lburou; 06-30-2011, 09:04 PM.
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Nice Lee, nice..
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Lee,

Your oven rocks! Great tie-in with the existing bricks. Can't wait to see some pics of the food coming out of it!

John

Comment

This is our whole project. It was probably seven months or so, but we came and went a lot to do other jobs. It was a fun winter job though.

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
                    I built one in seven days, then I woke up and it was time to go to work
                    You should have said 6 days and on the seventh you rested....
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Stevenb,

Each time I look at the pics of your oven builds it is obvious you and your brother are quite skilled and also have your masonry-team processes down in order to build an oven of such quality in 8 days.

However, it appears that you are not installing any insulation between your oven floors and the concrete support slab. This phase of oven construction is felt to be critical to oven performance during and after pizza cooking. Are you putting insulation in and it is so cleverly installed that we can't see it?

More importantly, I am curious why your soapstone floor has significant cracking and the beautiful soapstone stove/heaters from the eastern U.S. do not. Is it the soapstone type or thickness? Modular construction like pavers? Could it be from contact directly with concrete underneath with no insulation? Or could it be from the temperature differential of the soapstone from the interior of the oven and the exposed outside of the oven?

I am just about to finish the dome on my oven that has a 3cm soapstone floor installed.
                      I am concerned that imminent cracks are gonna lead to a re-floor job.

John
                      Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 07-02-2011, 05:48 PM.

Comment

We hide the insulation in the concrete. We pour a high strength 4" slab, then top with the kaowool, and pour 2" around it to hide it, hold it in place, and protect it. Then we install the base firebricks on top of that and start building the dome.
                        As for the soapstone, we have been told that there are only two places where soapstone is mined in the US, by several places in town. Rose mountain and flower mountain. The flower mountain has viens of talc that are weak and crack. The other doesn't have that, but still seems to crack. We are look in to getting the light green plain soapstone if we can find it. It sits on top of the firebricks, which are on top of the insulation. It is 1 1/4" thick slab. The way we I stall it makes it easy to replace, but it is spendy. $800 for the rose mountain, and $400 for the other.

Comment

Btw, the insulation extends to under the walls of the dome, which we like because it seems to help isolate the whole oven from the concrete base for better heat retention.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Awesome build!! Very clean and detailed! That is a great outdoor living area design.

As to your initial question for this thread: 2.5 years and counting. I've had to complete other projects in between (like a 2-level wood deck, a complete kitchen remodel, etc.) so it's not all WFO time. But I'm back with determination and plan to finish my WFO this summer!

aceves

Comment

Working...
                            X