X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intro from California

Bob said it right:

Originally posted by azpizzanut View Post
    There is a lot of latitude when building an oven of bricks and mortar. You can choose the size of the finished oven and materials to suit your needs and even modify the insulation and thermal mass requirements. Some choose to add extra thickness to the dome so as to retain heat for a longer period and some choose to add extra insulation, or both.
    I looked at 2 local (1 commercial) refratcory pizza/bread oven manufacturers in the Los Angeles area and then FB's Casa etc.. and purely by accident clicked on the FORUM link (something I usually avoid on the interwebs) and to say I'm happy with the results is truly an understatement.

When I figured that both (pre-cast and homemade-pompeii) require a footing, a block base, a level floor, sand for leveling, piecing blocks or sections together, high-temp mortar, insulation, wiring to hold the insulation, a housing of some sort....... that's when we said let's just build our own, we have to do all this same work anyway, how hard could cutting firebrick in half be?

If you really want the extended heat retention (but longer heat up/wood use) you can put the floor bricks on edge (instead of flat) like an A. Scott oven and add a little extra dome "claddiing" with high-heat mortar to the outside of the dome and insulate the heck out of it and you'll have a custom bread oven as fine and possibly better than anything you can buy.

If you have the time, I recommend the build it yourself experience, whether you make a pompeii round or barrel arch style (but not the A. Scott type barrel). Pompeii-round is well documented on this forum but both are easy (with our help of course )

Good luck with your decission.,
    -dino
    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Fantastic, everyone! I am shedding that overwhelmed feeling already.
      Dino: What do you mean, "barrel arch style (but not the A. Scott type barrel)"? What's wrong with it? (or is that part of the info that I will learn from all those links, once I get a chance to read them?)
      Last edited by PollyG; 07-07-2011, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PollyG View Post
        Dino: What do you mean, "barrel arch style (but not the A. Scott type barrel)"? What's wrong with it?
        Owh boy this will be good.

They are not that well built from my point of view, but hey Im a brickie so can see faults from 12,000 kms away.

I tend to try not to rain on someones parade but "those" ovens leave a lot to be desired.

If you want a barrel type follow my build, you can modify it as you see fit, at least I can guarantee my oven works, and works well, must be the 30+ years of looking at bricks that does it.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Okay, but what are the critical differences between the two?
          And the overwhelmed feeling has returned, after looking through your photos, Brickie. I want an oven like THAT! and will never have one.

Comment

Polly, Here is short list of SOME of the issues AS ovens have:
            -It's really, really heavy.
            -It has a floating, suspended concrete slab on pins (very difficult to construct)
            -the AS plans call for insulating UNDER the concrete slab floor (very inefficient)
            -Barrel arch has significant outward, lateral thrust (pompeii oven is downward)
            -This thrust requires encasing the whole thing in 4" of concrete.
            -venting is difficult and not clearly documented.
            -heat up time and fuel is considerable: that's why all pictures you see of AS ovens have cords and cords and piles of wood beautifully stacked next to them.
            -all of the above (as you can see from the AS book & the pics in it) need lots of re-bar (building steel) lots of concrete and usually lots of people involved.

I culled this info from other posts on this site although it was Alan Scotts book and design that started me drooling over the idea of a wood burning oven. The owner of this FB site (James) said that it was after he built 2 AS ovens and his frustration over the build and their use that made him start Forno Bravo in the 1st place!

AS ovens certainly have their place, the best but not only may be a community where baking dozens of loaves of bread a couple times a week that has access to lots of forest wood and you have a market for the bread or an extremely large family to feed.

Pompeii ovens may be a bit harder to bake more than a few loaves of bread at a time but their positive points are soooo numerous:
            -very well documented construction-dome is inherently strong-shape is inherently efficient-much less concrete and steel to build-venting works great-they heat up relatively fast-retain heat as well as you want to build it-take up less space than an AS-may be built by as few as 1 person-may be built by man, woman, office geek, computer nerd, person who's garage only contains a $9.99 tool-kit that's never been used you get the point.

I've seen so many beautiful loaves of bread come out Pompeii Ovens on this site but to be able to also smoke a turkey, roast vegis in the coals, cook a steak or whole fish like a bbq AND make world class pizza on a Saturday because you just thought of it that morning is it's best feature. Not to mention you can keep cooking or baking 3-4 days after.

-Dino
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Sage advice Dino
              Last edited by Lburou; 07-08-2011, 02:25 PM.
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Great comparison Dino. Polly, you also have plans here of the dome oven to follow and the indispensable tool make it pretty simple for the novice. Plus all the great advice you can get from this forum. People here have dome ovens that stay hot for days and if baking floor space is an issue, build a bigger one. Get the plans from this site and start reading them. Good luck John
                Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

My greatest concern for the AS oven is the lack of bonding of the brickwork for the dome roof and back wall, which makes the oven inherently weak and more liable to collapse.
                  To compensate for the lack of bonding they put great slabs of concrete to buttress up the brickwork.
                  Plus the seemingly total lack of insulation would concern me, hence the great stack of fire wood.

My oven from cold to pizza temps takes around 1 wheelbarrow full of wood, admittedly it is some of the fiercest burning wood in the world.

Polly pay my return bus fare plus lodgings for a cupla weeks and you too could have an oven like mine.
                  Last edited by brickie in oz; 07-08-2011, 08:33 PM.
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks, Dino (and Brickie, again)! you just saved me a ton of time, and tipped the decision for me yet again....
                    And Brickie: come on over!! Our property is surrounded by those dastardly Eucalyptus trees, (imported here long ago on some wild misbegotten scheme) so you'll feel right at home.
                    Last edited by PollyG; 07-09-2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X