Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A big hello from Green Bay

Originally posted by HummerGB View Post
    After working with this today and working to the arch I see what your saying. I took some measurments, And it is out of round by a half inch. Long to the arch. Maybe after the arch I can make up the half inch. On row six to the O.D. I had 32 1/2". Back to arch 33"
    Remember to that the ideal intersection is inside of arch to inside the brick coming from the chain of bricks. When you have a brick that is just hitting the arch with it's outside lower edge there is no real material from the brick in contact with the arch at that point only a sharp point of contact. This minimal contact also creates a great deal of outward thrust on the arch because there is no down force only outward horizontal force; the arch is strong in downward (gravity type) forces but not strong in lateral.

I hope this makes sense.

Chip
    Chip

Comment

The sharp corners is what I am seeing. Makes perfect sense. Or it's my poor cutting skills. I think I have to divise a plan to reenforce somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post

If the arch bricks were full bricks and back a further 115mm (half brick thickness) they would probably intersect the dome as they should, and no teardrop.

There is a thread here about Mike D's experience
        Quoting brickie --- you may want to rebuild the arch with full bricks, not hard at this point as you can nip them out with an angle grinder at the joints.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

I achieved dome today. I know it has some technical flaws but I am optimistic it will work. Hey big of a deal is it to put the door recess after the vent opening. I screwed that up too.

Comment

HummerGB,

If you are not going to put on a chimney then I don't see a problem making a door to fit inside the entrance like it were a plug. Put a flange around the outside of the door so it doesn't go in too far and cut off the bottom of the flange so it will fit around the two bottom bricks on right and left. That's the best you can do at this point and I'd guess it would be nearly as effective as any other door arrangement. Those two bottom bricks are keeping you from making a reveal. You're almost there except for those.

Cheers,
            Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Originally posted by azpizzanut View Post
              HummerGB,

If you are not going to put on a chimney then I don't see a problem making a door to fit inside the entrance like it were a plug. Put a flange around the outside of the door so it doesn't go in too far and cut off the bottom of the flange so it will fit around the two bottom bricks on right and left. That's the best you can do at this point and I'd guess it would be nearly as effective as any other door arrangement. Those two bottom bricks are keeping you from making a reveal. You're almost there except for those.

Cheers,
              I am going to put on a chimney. I decided today to notch around those brick for the reveal. I had noway to cut the brick so it, will look a little funny. oh well.

Comment

HummerGB,

OK, the basic door design will be the same and you're good to go. I thought possibly you were going to put in a chimney but didn't know for sure. After giving it some thought I figured the door design would suit both situations.

Best wishes,
                Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Originally posted by azpizzanut View Post
                  HummerGB,

OK, the basic door design will be the same and you're good to go. I thought possibly you were going to put in a chimney but didn't know for sure. After giving it some thought I figured the door design would suit both situations.

Best wishes,
                  So Bob Iam thinking to use the 2" drop to my advantage. The neat glass door I have seen on here I would put the sliding vent down there. Now I just have to build the arch. I started today and had some problems. We'll see how tomorrow goes. Wed. I am gone for a week I Reeeally want it done ane let it sit for a week.

Comment

I achieved dome today. I know it has some technical flaws but I am optimistic it will work. Hey big of a deal is it to put the door recess after the vent opening. I screwed that up too.
                    I do not think this is a big deal. Make lemon-aid out of lemons.

You could quite easily cut back the two lowest arch bricks with an angle grinder and make a nice door seal at the outside of your current arch.

A simple notch about 3/4 inch deep would allow for a nice seal and then you could start your tunnel at that point. This has the added benefit of being able to provide a small thermal break at this point also. You could make a very small gap that could be filled with Vermecrete and veneered with fire brick as a thermal break.

Chip
                    Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                      I do not think this is a big deal. Make lemon-aid out of lemons.

You could quite easily cut back the two lowest arch bricks with an angle grinder and make a nice door seal at the outside of your current arch.

A simple notch about 3/4 inch deep would allow for a nice seal and then you could start your tunnel at that point. This has the added benefit of being able to provide a small thermal break at this point also. You could make a very small gap that could be filled with Vermecrete and veneered with fire brick as a thermal break.

Chip
                      I got it notched. Didn't think I was going to get the grinder down in there. Had to do a little chisel action too.

Comment

it rained today so I started making tools a banjo peel and a rake. I have a coal scoop and an ash scoop in the works also a couple of brushes.

Comment

it rained today so I started making tools a banjo peel and a rake. I have a coal scoop and an ash scoop in the works also a couple of brushes.
                          I also plan on making my own tools.

Where did you find brass/copper brush heads? I have been looking around and cannot find any at a reasonable price.

BTW your oven is looking very nice. and a prime choice in beer if I do say so.
                          Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                            I also plan on making my own tools.

Where did you find brass/copper brush heads? I have been looking around and cannot find any at a reasonable price.

BTW your oven is looking very nice. and a prime choice in beer if I do say so.
                            I know, I havn't yet either. Amazon has brass brushes. I may buy 2 and cut the handle off round them down, screw the little devils together, mount on handle. Right now this is what I am thimking.

Comment

I know, I havn't yet either. Amazon has brass brushes. I may buy 2 and cut the handle off round them down, screw the little devils together, mount on handle. Right now this is what I am thimking.
                              6 x 19 Brass/Flat Scrub Brush - Gordon Brush

I found these and they only sell in packs of 12 but if someone was interested in taking some I could work out a deal to reship them via priority mail and thy would only be about $16 each or 2 for $25

Any one interested?

Chip
                              Chip

Comment

Try here.

Oven and Grill Brushes : Braun Brush Co.

The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X