Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hi all from Aussie

Gudday Al (never any offence)

Don't tell my mate but this oven made me glad I'd built a pompeii. Its a oven kit build with no hearth insulation to little perlite over the top and a really small door. It takes a massive lot of wood to heat for pizzas but keeps it heat well for days. It would make a great bread oven but as a backyard alrounder the pompeii designs better. One point though even though Ive been critical of it he loves it and produces great food that I've enjoyed on many occasions
    Yes I've read your build and your oven has the most important thing this oven is missing Masses of insulation along with the mass!!

Regards Dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
      he loves it and produces great food that I've enjoyed on many occasions
      Thats the main thing.....
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I have an interesting note to add....
        regarding wetting the bricks before construction:

i noticed that if i sponged wet the bricks before applying the muck, it would allow me a little longer (not much) to settle the bricks to where i wanted them. Previously if i just layed the muck and placed bricks down, i literally had seconds before the stuff went off, i know this refractory stuff is a little different than the normal render/mortar type mix, but i was amazed how quick it went off. yet, it would stay quite runny in the bucket for some time. I'm quessing the fact that it was about 30C as well, would have promoted early setting as well.
        So....in the instance you mentioned that you dont put water on, i only used it because of that reason, otherwise i probably wouldn't have wet them.
        This is probably common knowledge within the bricklaying community, but i have just learned.
        Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Pete View Post
          I have an interesting note to add....
          regarding wetting the bricks before construction:

i noticed that if i sponged wet the bricks before applying the muck, it would allow me a little longer (not much) to settle the bricks to where i wanted them. Previously if i just layed the muck and placed bricks down, i literally had seconds before the stuff went off, i know this refractory stuff is a little different than the normal render/mortar type mix, but i was amazed how quick it went off. yet, it would stay quite runny in the bucket for some time. I'm quessing the fact that it was about 30C as well, would have promoted early setting as well.
          So....in the instance you mentioned that you dont put water on, i only used it because of that reason, otherwise i probably wouldn't have wet them.
          This is probably common knowledge within the bricklaying community, but i have just learned.
          So make the mortar wetter to cope with the situation.....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

yes....your right...next time
            Aussie Pete

Comment

Its an oven builders myth that you have to wet the bricks before you lay them
              ahem! as an experienced bricklayer ( I must have been doing this for about 5 days now so I think I know what I'm talking about) I have to disagree with that upstart brickie - what could he know?

Seriously - try using an old paintbrush to wet the bricks - you will find it makes a difference. These bricks really absorb (wick) water at a rate and the mortar tends to stck better,
              Brickie probably understands better the correct consistency of the mortar, but for just an amateur I have found it helps or at least I feel better.
              Good luck with the oven - looking forward to seeing the progress
              Amac
              Amac
              Link to my WFO build

Comment

I did wet the bricks liberally with a spray bottle, i probably didnt have to, but i thought if it may help moisten the brick its gotta be good for the mortar. i have seen a few pics (on here somewhere) of the mortar cracking up against the bricks. that could of just been really dry mix (not sure). I made sure my mix was very runny.
                Anyway... thanks all for input and well....i've done it now, lets just hope it stays up.
                Aussie Pete

Comment

I made sure my mix was very runny.
                  Too runny is not good either - so try to get a nice consistency - you'll know when you have it. This link has a bit about mixing mortar - or brickie might give a short tutorial

Masonry - Fine Homebuilding Editors, Taunton Press - Google Books
                  Amac
                  Amac
                  Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
                    Too runny is not good either - so try to get a nice consistency - you'll know when you have it. This link has a bit about mixing mortar - or brickie might give a short tutorial
                    it was runny, but i wouldn't say it was extreme runny, enough to pour into the gaps of the arch.
                    it still set pretty quickly, so i still had to move quickly once it was in contact with the bricks...they really wick that water away huh..It has set rock hard, so hopefully it will be ok when i pull the arch support away...which probably wont be until the weekend now. Give it great chance of full cure i suppose.
                    Aussie Pete

Comment

Getting the mortar just right is one of those things, you have to allow for the bricks, the weather and the way you like it.
                      One brickies mortar wont suit another, Ive had other brickies help me and vise versa, and we all complain about the others mortar.

Every time I get a new labourer to mix the mortar you have to tell them how it has to be to suit yourself, they bitch a lot of course.....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

its definately not a profession you could jump straight into and start building a house.

I have formed the arch now, and i took the arch support away from the arch and ...'hey presto'...we have 1 arch standing up. (pheeewwww).
                        1 problem i have now is because i let it set over the weekend there is now some extra mortar slag around where the arch stood, it looks a little messy, what would be the best way to clean up hard mortar on the bricks and in the gaps...would chipping away be ok, or maybe grind away until smooth, (being careful not to grind the bricks)??
                        Apart from the bits of slag around...it looks pretty darn good for a novice.

(this is my first arch i've ever built)....
                        Aussie Pete

Comment

You can chip it or grind it.
                          I usually try to take the arch profile out the next day to make it easier to clean up.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                            Getting the mortar just right is one of those things.....
                            Every time I get a new labourer to mix the mortar you have to tell them how it has to be to suit yourself, they bitch a lot of course.....
                            As soon as they get it right, promote them to Brick Tender. No more money just the title They will take a little more pride in their work Then maybe you want have to hire so many "labourers"

Just kiddin' Al, Brick Tender (Brick Layers Helper) may just be a local title. As General George S. Patton was quoted as saying (He was addressing a UK audiance at the time) "We are two countries separated by a common language"
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                              As soon as they get it right, promote them to Brick Tender. No more money just the title They will take a little more pride in their work Then maybe you want have to hire so many "labourers"

Just kiddin' Al, Brick Tender (Brick Layers Helper) may just be a local title. As General George S. Patton was quoted as saying (He was addressing a UK audiance at the time) "We are two countries separated by a common language"
                              I told one bloke that if he could mix 3 consecutive batches Id give him a mud badge, kind of like what you get in boy scouts for completing a task.

Well the day came and he actually did mix the said 3 batches so I presented him with his mud badge, it was 3 crossed trowels kind of fluer de lis style.

He was over the moon and took it home to show his flat mates, they all pissed themselves laughing of course, but he was proud....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I had another look at the arch tonight after work, all seems good, (its still up anyway). I will probably do a bit of chipping & grinding the old mortar of and tidy up the arch on the weekend.
                                When i make the sand mold for the dome part, how long should i let it sit & dry before pulling all the sand out & cleaning up inside. Would a week be too much?. I'm guessing it will probably be ok within a day or 2.
                                not that i'm in a hurry or anything, just wanna do it right.
                                I am going to be placing a couple of thermocouples in the dome and probably the insulation. I know a lot of guys on here are saying "you dont need them"...and i know this but, i have a chance to use some and all the wiring for free...."so why not".
                                I'd really like to place them somehow so i can replace if need be at a later stage...can anyone help me with pictures of ways to make them replaceable.
                                I was thinking of some sort of stainless steel sleave to put them into, but doing that, how will that effect the dome as far as losing heat & having holes around the dome?...would it be enough to really worry about?
                                Aussie Pete

Comment

Working...
                                X