Hi all from Aussie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hi all from Aussie

".if it works, i'll be a hero (well...in my eyes), and if it doesn't ....i'll be an idiot."

You can be both, I love idiot heroes the best,... Forest Gump, Maxwell Smart, inspector Clouseau, Mr. Magoo... you can add more.

I"m sure it will work so long as you remain enthusiastic.
    Last edited by david s; 04-15-2012, 06:36 AM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

evening....i suppose i'm ready to put a bit of verm/perl onto the dome now, i am going to use the 50/50 mix with a ratio of 5:5:1:3. "As described by Dave".
      is there a recommended thickness to lay this mix, should it be done all in 1 thickness, or maybe 2-3 layers of similar thickness. What would be the ideal thickness, obviously i'm aware the more the better, but theres gotta be a point where it becomes unviable economically & financially. I was thinking 2 layers of an inch thick, layed down over maybe a few weekends. So a total verm/perl thickness of 50mm or 2". "thoughts anyone??". Or should it be more?
      Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

Yes, that's how I do it and I leave it for a week for each layer to dry. It's main purpose apart from providing additional insulation is to get a nice even shape. Assuming you have used blanket, there will be folds that create bumps. If you tap the surface with the flat of your trowel you will get a remarkably even surface and judging the form by eye is remarkably accurate. Doing two layers also has the advantage of seeing how the first layer turns out. You will think "this'll never work" but it does, so when you do the second layer you're more experienced and skilled.

Comment

Pete,
          Just read back through your thread and you've made no mention of blanket. If you are going with vermicrete alone, I wouldn't go any less than 4" it is approx. 1/2 as good an insulator as blanket so you need it thicker to achieve the same insulation value.

Comment

hey David, no i haven't mentioned about a blanket have i,...but yes i am using a blanket as well. I will be placing the blanket on, then some mesh then doing the verm/perl mix.
            Couple of questions...

when placing the mesh over the blanket thats on the dome, is there a way to secure the mesh tight to the shape of the dome, so it doesn't kind of spring back. Or will the verm mix push down on the mesh enough to hold tight to the dome. never used verm, so not sure how heavy it is or how it will hold.

Once i have layered all the verm/perl mix down, how long should i wait until i render over the top as a final finishing coat. Should the oven be fully cured & functioning before i lay the top final coat of render on.

cheers all.
            Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

It is too late now of course, but some thin wire loops cast into the base of the dome work well to wire in the mesh. Failing this you can probably hold it in with string and snip it off across the entry once the vermicrete has hardened.
              Try to let the weather ( sun and wind) dry the vermicrete and leave it for a week(per layer) to dry. Cure the oven before doing the render. Others may do it differently, but this is the way I do it. You don't want steam pressure build up in the insulation layer or it will crack the outer shell.

Comment

How's the oven going ?????

Comment

Working...
                X