Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hi all from Aussie

Originally posted by robertjusher View Post
    or just get the diy kit from bunnings....
    Dont do that, Ive looked at them and they are way over priced and just rubbish.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

They're also made in China, so your hard earned leaves the country.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks Brickie and David s
        I was hopeing someone experenced and has seen one would comment. The kit is only $850 but....
        The floor insulation is thin and the floor bricks are only 25mm thick. The built ones seem to have the floor loose and floating. The one on display is cracked and never been fired ! Not sure if it's ment to be that way or not. ID is also 660mm. If I went that way better floor insulation and extra bricks in base would be required.I have friends with one and they are happy but not sure if I would be, kinda fussy after using a great one in a resturant a few years back!
        Be keen to share notes with another local in the build
        Rob
        Last edited by robertjusher; 01-27-2012, 04:15 PM.

Comment

hey Rob, i definitely agree with Al, i'm sure you would much more appreciate building your own oven anyway...besides, wheres the fun in building your very own wood-fired oven with your own blood/sweat & tears (although, hope there not much blood involved, come to think of it, i dont want any sweat or tears either..).
          Rob, i am very much a novice and the new guy around here, so i'll try not to give you too much advice (because it will possibly be wrong ).
          My oven will also be a castable refractory style oven over a sand dome, i was going to go the full brick dome, but thought this was easier for my first attempt at an oven. Besides, if i'm not happy with it, or it falls down, i'll just make another one, with more experience under my belt, i should get it right the second time around. I know theres a few builders around here that have made a second oven, so i wouldnt be the first.
          If your close to Brissy Rob, maybe we can help each other out a bit, moral support if anything .
          This bloody rain is relentless here, i want to get out and do more to the base (have to tile top), but just cant, i'm hoping it will ease today.
          I've rigged up a temporary 3x3 gazebo over the top of the oven & base, its helping to keep rain off the work site.
          You got any pics of your project so far Rob?. I keep saying i'll put pics up ( & i will), i'm just forgetful .
          Its always great to see other peoples ideas and imagination at work with their ovens.
          Last edited by Aussie Pete; 01-27-2012, 04:31 PM.
          Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

Aussie Pete,
            If you are only at the supporting slab stage consider coating it with Bondcrete 4:1 or similar to prevent rising damp. In incessant rain as you do experience in Bris. Water can wick right up the stand and into your oven. Particularly if you have a thick vermicrete layer which holds stacks of water, it's like sponge.
            Dave

Comment

HI
              Have you priced going a full castable dome, $40 a bag and a lot of bags required to get 900mm ID that I am after. Fire brick build is almost cheaper at $3 a brick.
              I am afraid to add up what I have spent so far and thats just the slab and base.
              I spent a lot of time going with the sand dome idea till I priced castable, and have been convenced that home brew castable is a poor option.
              My full castable was to be build on a fire brick base with brick for the first course. So brick work was still to be done.
              I know I am no brick layer (my block work is proof) but I have seen brick ovens from amazing master cut jobs to almost no cutting and lots of mortar jobs and they all cook well.
              I will post some pics of my build so far

Comment

Here's about where I am up to before the rain beat me. I hope to get some done but everything is so wet, might at least clean up the site a bit..
                Last edited by robertjusher; 01-27-2012, 05:25 PM.

Comment

"but I have seen brick ovens from amazing master cut jobs to almost no cutting and lots of mortar jobs and they all cook well."

An italian friend of mine built a brick oven using half, solid red bricks, cut with a bolster (rough edges out). He used wooden wedges under each brick on the outside, placing each brick against a sand castle in the middle. Went through heaps of homebrew mortar, but it was an easy way to build and far less labour than cutting each brick. Apart from not taking my advice about insulating under the floor, which he had to later retrofit, he's ended up with a pretty good workable oven.

Comment

My father in-law is helping me with the build, and he already has the blanket and 7 bags of the refractory cement, so.....its a pretty cheap option for me the moment.
                    If i was to build another oven, i think i would go the full brick type, something like "Brickie in Oz's" oven, (i think its the gargoyle that makes it the best oven ever).
                    Rob, your base is lookin fine from here.
                    Dave..thanks for the advice on the bondcrete, but unfortunately i'm passed that stage of build, i just hope i dont have too much probs with that side of it.
                    I wonder if theres anything you can paint on the besser blocks for rising damp?. I'm going to render the whole base anyway.
                    Yeehaa...rain has stopped, i'm off to cut some tiles
                    Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Pete View Post
                      on the bondcrete, but unfortunately i'm passed that stage of build,
                      Just as well because Bondcrete isnt a water proofer, its nothing more than PVA glue with a high price tag.
                      Bondcrete FAQs

My Build.

Books.

Comment

OK thanks, seems you have to use Silasec and GP portland cement or similar product. Thanks for the correction,Al

Comment

No probs Dave, you like putting me in my place so I reciprocate.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Has anyone used hebal for underfloor insulation?
                            Thats my current plan. Seems easy cheap way of doing it. 600x200x75 is $4.50 at Masters.
                            Just set in place and lay floor bricks right over the top of it. I got a piece and drove my work ute over it, It did crack a bit on the ends but held up with out crushing.

I have not thought about rising damp. Too late for me to worry now!

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                              No probs Dave, you like putting me in my place so I reciprocate.
                              Touche, Al

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                                Touche, Al
                                Thats funny.... at least we agree on one thing....
                                Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-27-2012, 09:05 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X