Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hi all from Aussie

Originally posted by robertjusher View Post
    Has anyone used hebal for underfloor insulation?
    Thats my current plan. Seems easy cheap way of doing it. 600x200x75 is $4.50 at Masters.
    Just set in place and lay floor bricks right over the top of it. I got a piece and drove my work ute over it, It did crack a bit on the ends but held up with out crushing.

I have not thought about rising damp. Too late for me to worry now!
    I have used Hebel a couple of times between supporting slab and oven floor. One problem is that if placing wet mortar on top of it, then it will suck the water out of the mortar so fast that it makes it difficult to keep the mortar plastic. It does give you a nice flat surface to work over though, so you really don't need mortar. It is about a third the density of standard concrete so isn't a bad insulator, but I don't think it"s as good as vermicrete. Another advantage over vermicrete is that it is dry, so you don't have the extra problem of eliminating the water from Hebel. It is also way more expensive than vermicrete. I used the Hebel Power Panel ie 5mm steel reinforcing rods cast into the middle of the panel, in the floor of my mobile. I was try to get a fairly strong floor that was also an insulator. It has cracked a fair bit, but because it's in a steel cradle all is still ok. I don't know if it cracked because of the weight, the heat, or the big speed bump I hit at speed when I forgot I was towing an oven.
    That is way cheaper than I could get it. Don't forget that Hebel is made from Portland cement and your floor will be pretty hot. If it were me I'd put a 1" layer of vermicrete between the hebel and the floor bricks to take the sting out of it before it hits the Hebel.
    Last edited by david s; 01-28-2012, 12:28 AM. Reason: typos again
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for the tip.
      Is vermicrete just a mix containing portland cement?
      I understand vermicrete is the normal insulation but it just kinda like light airy cement???
      I figured that hebel will do the same job but as you said, dry flat and for me cheaper.

Kinda kills the easy simple hebel idea I had. Maybe insulateing board from total refractory over the hebel is just as good. I really want to keep the flat surface to start brick laying on.
      More planning
      Damm rain will never stop
      Last edited by robertjusher; 01-27-2012, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I have just finished doing a layer of vermicrete. I discovered last year that a 50/50 mix of vermiculite and perlite makes a way better mix that either of them alone. I can't explain why, but it makes a far more plastic brew that is not as crumbly as the perlite or vermiculite alone. I stick rigidly to a recipe of vermiculite/perlite 10 parts, to water 3 parts, although this may depend on the grade of stuff you get. The fine vermiculite needs more water. If you overdo the water it seems to wash the cement off the grains of perlite and vermiculite.Water pooling at the bottom of your barrow or bucket is an indication of too much water.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Gudday
          I used Hebel as my underhearth insulation as it was at the right price...Free
          Does it work ...yep it does and the hearth is staight and true still more than a year on. But its cheaper to use pearlite...no not then 10ltr bags from bunnings. You can get a 100ltr (1m2) bag from a Hydroponics supplier for under $40. Theres a hydropnics place in Capalaba called "Oasis"
          Sorry I'm not that computer savvy so no fancy link to my build,if you look in the Aussie section of the forum its called Cobbler daves build.
          Whilst I admire the dedication and skill of many of the builds you see in the forum...sorry not for me. I'm" Masonary Inpaired" to start with, run my own business so the simple methods worked for me. Ply form, brick bulster cuts, even got a retangular entrance cause I could pull of an arch till later.
          Got a great oven for my efforts though... I recon it doesnt look to bad and it cooks even better. The inportant things to give it a go and enjoy the journey

Regards Dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I've seen your build Dave.
            I will be happy if mine turns out as well.
            Your build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html

So far this build has taught me-

-Pouring a slab is hard work
            -Block work is not easy as it looks
            -Filling blocks does your back in
            -Everything takes longer then you think
            -Every thing will cost more then you think
            -If you think you can get that last mix done before it rains, you can't
            -It will rain on your day you planned to build.
            -Rendering is a bitch !
            -The more you read and the more advice you get the more you notice everyone has different idea's and theory's ( often a good thing)

If hebel works for you Dave then hebel it is for me too. Kinda becouse I have already got it. Enough for my oven was just under $50. No mixing, mess etc. Might be going against some advice but it has worked for enough people to convence me.
            What did you use to fix your hebel in place.

Aussie Pete- What are you using for under floor insulation?
            Rob

Comment

Rob, i have gone the soft way, i've made a refractory base, (about 2-3"), then i've layed down crushed granite, then 3" fire bricks....
              If i had of read more before starting my project, i probably would of use some kind of insulating blocks then fire bricks, but this way was in magazine that i've got. My father in-law has built one the same way, except, he didn't use granite or fire bricks...and his oven is a pearler!!. gets too bloody hot i reckon.
              I'm hoping the crushed granite will help with some kind of insulation (probably not..)

Oh yeh...your right about the rain....IT WONT BLOODY STOP...aarrgghghh..

Am planning on tiling the top of my base tomorrow though...stuff the rain!

hey Al, how does sandstone hold up against heat...will they be ok on the top of the bench around the oven....(please yes,please say yes,please say yes).....YEH, i said it 3 times, it must be ok.
              Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

I know of a few ppl who have sandstone around their ovens and it works fine, just make sure you seal it.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                  I know of a few ppl who have sandstone around their ovens and it works fine, just make sure you seal it.
                  When you say "seal it", do you mean, make sure its grouted, or tile glue to the bench.
                  1 thing i was going to do, is put some sika firerate around the tiles that butt up against the firebricks on the floor, it is fire proof & flexible, and will help with expansion & contraction within the floor, hopefully might stop sandstone from cracking. I have some Davco professional tile glue that i will use for intial glueing of the tiles to the bench, then i'll use grout on the top, then i will use a sealer to help protect and will bring out the sandstone colors really nicely.
                  Aussie Pete

Comment

There is a special sealer for sandstone that stops dirt and grease from penetrating the surface and ruining it, you probably need to talk to a paving seller/expert as I dont know what its called.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Aaarrgghhhhh....go away rain will ya...geez.

bugger it...i'm going out to tile, whether its raining or not
                      Aussie Pete

Comment

Ok, pics were promised (not sure i promised actually ), so here is some of the tiling i did today, please dont look too careful, because you professionals out there, will think....OMG, what is he doing ).
                        Hopefully once the missus fixes up the grouting for it, it will look sweeeeet.
                        hope the pics work. Wasnt my fault anyway, the bench was all out of wack.

Ofcourse...i'm always open to any suggestions or nice touches to any work thats done, i know theres a lot of artistic ladies & gents out there.
                        Aussie Pete

Comment

Nice, we can get sandstone here but it costs your first child to buy it.

Make sure you protect that nice rolled edge while you build the oven, there would be nothing worser that a chipped edge to keep staring you in the face everytime you used the oven.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Nice, we can get sandstone here but it costs your first child to buy it.

Make sure you protect that nice rolled edge while you build the oven, there would be nothing worser that a chipped edge to keep staring you in the face everytime you used the oven.
                            The sandstone we got from a local stone/sandstone dealer, we were looking for something else entirely different, we were just in the right place at the right time, only cost about $120 for a pallet of them (i think about 67 pieces in total), they were in a corner & looked lonely. 400 x 400 x 30mm
                            well....i thought it was cheap anyway.
                            I just thought they looked awesome, and with some clean up & a sealer to enhance colors, it would be good for the oven top.

I know what you mean about the rolled edge....not sure how to protect, other than be very careful around them .
                            I suppose if one does break, i can just cut it out and replace, i have spares

I was going to lay a strip of LED lighting along the underside of the tiles of the front, but i dont think i've left enough room now...bummer.

I do like lighting to add character & ambience to a place...still thinking of ideas...input most welcome at this stage
                            Aussie Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Pete View Post

I know what you mean about the rolled edge....not sure how to protect, other than be very careful around them .
                              Thick fluted cardboard and sticky tape.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thick fluted cardboard and sticky tape.

Done!!..
                                Aussie Pete

Comment

Working...
                                X