Hello from Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello from Minnesota

It worked. Offer is still open to come take a look and talk. Send me a PM if you want.
    Chip

Comment

Well, first I should ask .... is it a bad idea to place the oven near my pine tree and my shed?

I think its OK.

how large of a concrete base is needed?

I'd like to ensure I have some workspace on one side or the other....

In regards to oven design given I live in Minnesota does the dome need to be covered by another structure or can it be domed/stucco'd?

Comment

Originally posted by knackjack View Post
        Well, first I should ask .... is it a bad idea to place the oven near my pine tree and my shed?

I think its OK.

how large of a concrete base is needed?

I'd like to ensure I have some workspace on one side or the other....

In regards to oven design given I live in Minnesota does the dome need to be covered by another structure or can it be domed/stucco'd?
        Check with your local building inspector tell him it is a built In BBQ. Here if you go larger than 120 sq ft foundation you need to pull a permit. 5 ft to back lot line and 15 ft to side lot line. 12 ft to street. All setbacks so I had one place in my back yard I could put the oven. I am glad it was a good place.

Base depends on many factors. House or igloo, oven diameter or dimension, type of walls, counters, etc. etc. etc..

Our city requires 15 ft from other structures and stack 24" above roof.

I would build a house or roof over it if you want the igloo look.
        Last edited by mrchipster; 05-13-2015, 12:32 PM.
        Chip

Comment

Our town is pretty small and not sure they have a defined set back for something like this.... I know for the storage shed it is to be 3ft from the property line.

If I build around it... does it require the second course of bricks?

I am thinking not, looking at some of the builds they build the dome, insulate and then back fill with some sort of insulating pellets.

Comment

I sent you a couple of PM's please read them.
            Chip

Comment

C
              Originally posted by knackjack View Post
              Our town is pretty small and not sure they have a defined set back for something like this.... I know for the storage shed it is to be 3ft from the property line.

If I build around it... does it require the second course of bricks?

I am thinking not, looking at some of the builds they build the dome, insulate and then back fill with some sort of insulating pellets.
              Order of build from inside out with a house

Inside of domed just
              Dome
              Insulation - usually ceramic blanket
              More insulation - usually perlite or vermiculite
              Metal studs or structure - fire proof
              Framing sheathing usually cement tile backer board - fire proof
              Siding - many use stone or brick (mine is brick) but there is everything from stucco to tile as the weather layer and may other materials have been used even copper shingles.

Hope this helps
              Last edited by mrchipster; 05-13-2015, 02:43 PM.
              Chip

Comment

Make sure you go and talk with your local city building department. I am sure that you have set backs but might not need a permit. I was told by my city I did not fall in to a permit required build. I gave them a copy of the fb plans and was told I needed no permit. Just to check with the fire marshall and he said it did not need a permit from them either. But make sure you check because it is too much work to do and then be told to tear it down .

Randy

Comment

So I contacted the local building/zoning city official and this is his response:

"I would view this similar to an outdoor fireplace which wouldn?t require permitting, however I would strongly suggest observing the IFC (international fire code) setback requirements for recreational fires, which specifies 25? setback from combustible structures."

If I observe a 25' set back I would need to build in the middle of my yard.

Looking for thoughts from other folks on this... at the end of the day I am wanting to place it between two combustible items (Tree and Shed).

Comment

My fire marshall said with a proper flu and chimney it was basically considered an appliance and then not governed by the fire code. I am probably 40 feet from my house but only 15 from my garage. Did you let them see the plans? People do outdoor fireplaces right on the outside wall of the house.

Randy

Comment

No, I didn't send any plans. He didn't ask for any. I'm will need to ponder for for awhile. I too look at it like a fixture... no more so than if I moved my grill or smoker into that area too cook.... The grill would be more likely to start a fire as well as my fire pit than these oven based upon my understanding.

Comment

That is how my fire marshall took it to. I am not saying that I am right here of course, but it seemed logical. But there are a lot of people on here are a lot closer than what you said. You may want to run you chimney up a few feet past any roof line that is near by. Just my thoughts.

Randy

Comment

After discussing with the local inspector and describing as a BBQ he said 15 ft from other structures for openings that could emit sparks. And 2 ft above lower roof lines in immediate area (thus the flue stack).
                          Chip

Comment

When I called the City of Minneapolis to see if I would need a permit, they consulted the fire department and said that they considered pizza ovens like a BBQ and that I would need to follow ordinances for those, which is 18" from structures and not sitting on combustible structure.

The 25' distance is for recreational fires. Here is a quote from Minneapolis code:

178.50. - Applicability.
                            This chapter shall apply solely to recreational fires (including portable freestanding fireplaces and "chimineas") but shall not apply to barbeque grills, incinerators, barbeque pits or any other appliances or burning otherwise specifically regulated by the Minnesota State Fire Code. (2003-Or-143, ? 1, 12-15-03)

I've attached the Mnpls regs on BBQ grills. Securely fastened grills must maintain an 18" clearance.
                            Attached Files
                            George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

That is good to know for Minneapolis, the Crystal inspector was more strict but then again we cannot even park on the streets overnight here. We have had several $80 parking tickets for parking next to our house overnight over the years.
                              Chip

Comment

It is very good that they were pretty open to what you w er re planning. It just kinda weird that the building and fire marshalls have such different takes on the same thing in 3 towns that are almost next to one another.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X