No announcement yet.

Hey folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You've been around awhile so welcome back. 42" for sure and probably 40" will be too large for you base. It also depends of whether you enclose the oven or not and the type and amount of insulation you use.My CMU base was 78 x 78 x 47 x47 x 44 and my igloo oven with the finish coating goes right to the edge of the hearth base - see attachment (42" id + 9" brick+6" insulation +6" vcrete +2" stucco + 3/4" copper. I would cut out some cardboard templates and play around with the sizes. There is no set inside diameter that are better the others, could be 33.456" if you want it to be. Just need to maintain certain door opening ratios, ie 63-65% height of internal radius of oven, flue size, etc.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Richie, do you have any cad skills? There is a pretty good free program called (appropriately) FreeCad that I used and found very helpful for layout - especially figuring out oven size and placement. If you want to give it a try you can find one of my files here https://community.fornobravo.com/for...en-build/page2. If you read that thread you can get an idea how to modify the file for your stand size. If you do and need help make a post or shoot me a PM.
      Randy mentions having room for a 42" oven on his 70" corner slab. My slab was roughly the same size (~71" on the long sides) but my 39" oven pretty much takes up all my room due to oven placement. If I built an extension off the front of the slab like Randy did I could have gone bigger, but didn't want the projection into my covered space. Doing some layout work will help you decide on size, placement, and landing options before you get too far into your build.
      When I started there weren't too many corner builds (I really learned a lot from studying UtahBeehiver's oven) but there are quite a few that are active on the forum now.
      My build thread
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Thanks for the help folks. I have no CAD skills at all I made a scale plan tonight, the instructions state for an ID oven of 42" it has an OD of 51" what is not clear, was if that included insulation in the equation ? but now that its been pointed out that is the 9" difference for the brick.. for some reason I thought the bricks would all be halved to 4.5" ?

I am having a bare dome on my oven, I saw a youtube video of a chap called David Sharpe that made a beautiful oven and clad it in what I can best describe as crazy paving tiles. I am unsure what to do at this stage ? The pizza oven will be for my family and I, and the occasional party.... perhaps shrink it to 36 or 38" ?

I like the idea of casting an arch into the base, that looks really cool ! my current opening is about 24" - 26" as it stands, the base stand will have grey split face tiles on when completed, I wanted to cast the landing larger than the base plinth, I was going to made the casting frame 62" x 62" then put a diagonal across at the landing area (If that makes sense)

Here is the link to my inspiration David Sharpe

https://youtu.be/ae5_KBBlmZA

EDIT: just realised what I have done... 4.5 when added to the diameter on each side equates to 9"...........crap ! wonder if I can cast an overhang

Comment

Ok folks I have worked out if I extend the rear corner of my plinth out by 5" so 67" x 67" I can fit a 36" oven on the base (just) I am really struggling the instructions as they say the opening should be 19" wide by 12" high for a 36" oven, it then shows pictures later in the book saying 26" ? is there a correct opening, depth and height ?

Comment

Richie, I am not sure where you saw 26"? Below are the FB recommendations for 36" and 42" ovens, and the interpolated 39" oven I built. If by depth you mean distance from the inner arch to the outer (forward) vent arch you have some options. I used a brick and a half distance recommended to me by Gulf back when I was lost trying to figure out all the dimensions, but you can make them with less depth, especially if you do a cast vent. Are you planning on extending out the front too (Like Randy did) or have you gotten that far yet?
            Opening Opening Ratio
            ID Height Width Height
            36" 36 18 19 12 66.67%
            39" 39 19.5 19.5 12.25 62.82%
            42" 42 21 20 12.5 59.52%
            My build thread

Comment

I believe the first table in the eplans show the opening width (19") and the picture of the 49" external diameter (actually dim at shows a 48" OD dimension arrow) corner build shows the outside dimension of the vent area. Assume 4.5" on each side times two would calc an opening of 20" which still isn't the same but close or 19" if you the dimension arrow. The width in not as critical as the height which JR showed in previous post. The plans are dated and contain some errors so don't take it gospel but use as a baseline for your design. Use the more current builds for up to date innovations and designs.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks guys, I have taken a snap shot of the pages I was referring to, and a snap of my crude scale drawing (1mm=1")

Comment

Comment

Yes, I found the diagrams for the corner builds very frustrating. I ended up looking at build threads, seeing what size of oven was built and counting how many cinderblocks were used in the base . Since you are willing to have a 5' overhang in the rear, you could always do a similar overhang along the front edge and have plenty of room. If you get up to 70 you could easily do a 39" if you wanted to go that big. The hard part for me was "guessing" on the fore/aft placement of the oven, as I really didn't have the vent and landing area figured out in advance. I exteded my hearth out in the front a little, and ended up with about 4" of extra space that I will use for a slightly extended landing. i probably could have made the slab "flush" with the stand in the front, but I a still not sure exactly how I am going to finish the oven.
                    My build thread

Comment

As others have said, the plans are for OD, and not terribly accurate.

We really could use a community effort to get the plans updated. Maybe post as a live doc, not a pdf. But I realize it's FB's intellectual property
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I'd be willing to work on the plan update/collaboration. Although as stated before, with the forum as a resource, the plans really just get you thinking in the "correct" direction.

Probably my main push would be to move/add the stand opening for wood storage to the sides of corner builds especially...I just don't like the small access nor the fact that coals & ash are directly inline with the stored wood. I haven't heard of anybody getting a fire under their oven...but as many folks, I tend to overthink some of this stuff.
                        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I agree that it would be nice to update the plans. To include some of the new concepts like heat breaks .

As to the build I was at 70"x70" and I built a lip out the front for the landing. Mine was a 40" and I think I might have been able to do a 42" but it would have been tight. My front of the vent is flush with the front of the stand.

Randy

Comment

We could talk to Mitch and see if FB has any appetite to do a V3.0 to the plans. At the very minimum I'd like to see the information for corner builds updated/clarified, eg. showing at least standard oven sizes and how the shells fit on the hearth (vs current "external width oven" notation), and showing stand sizes that relate to standard CMU dimensions (7 5/8 increments, like 70x70).
                            Possibly a section on advanced techniques, such as brick angles (taper, bevel), heat breaks, fore/aft placement of inner arch etc that would not have to be too in depth, just acknowledging that the design options exist and maybe some pros and cons.
                            We'd have a hard time trying to cover all the options and opinions contained in the forum, but having the plans point builders in the right direction on the newer build techniques would be an improvement.
                            I'd be willing to help too.
                            My build thread

Comment

You are right JR I did struggle with the stand a little and figuring out how to place the oven is a bit challenging. Particularly as to how the vent fits in to the whole thing. There is no way to include all the possible options but it would be nice to have some of the more important \useful ones.

Randy

Comment

I'd add the IT to the manual as well...
                                My build progress
                                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                                X