Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New guy from NJ

Looks great - I bet it was delicious!

I fired mine a bit more aggressively last night and some small cracks appeared. I'm not sure there is any way to prevent it with such a tick, heavy structure.

I'm going to make pizza this weekend, I'll report back with my success or failure, lol..

Comment

I found that having the fire to the side rather than at the back of the oven made it easier to get the pizza cooked more evenly.

I used dough from the book Artisen Bread in 5 minutes a day.

Good luck with your Pizzas.

David

Comment

Try getting your ovens up to 900F. Bet it will be very difficult. Dome ovens are not that difficult to build, particularly with the "indispensable tool" (IT). Sorry to say, that design wasn't given much thought. It may cook a pizza but that's about it. Of course, if you have never cooked with a properly designed oven, you wouldn't know the difference.

With a properly insulated oven, the exterior should not be warm to the touch.
        Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Heat transfer depends on the delta T btw the interior oven surface and the outside of the bricks in your case. That is 650 - 110 = 540. The bigger that number is the more you are trying to heat up the universe. Insulation will help, but then you have the two big holes (door and flue) that are dumping your heat out of the oven. The second law of thermodynamics says the the universe moves to disorder (randomness). An oven is a very ordered system and is all the time trying to move in the direction of disorder, unless you do something to prevent that, like insulation. If you throw a bucket of tennis balls into a room they will come to rest in a random manner, they will not all rush to one corner of the room. It just doesn't happen. That is what you are asking the heat to do, stay in the oven. It's not going to happen.

This forum has a vast knowledge of WFOs and expertise in making well designed WFOs. If you don't want to take their advice, you should go elsewhere.
          Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Originally posted by lwood View Post
            Heat transfer depends on the delta T btw the interior oven surface and the outside of the bricks in your case. That is 650 - 110 = 540. The bigger that number is the more you are trying to heat up the universe. Insulation will help, but then you have the two big holes (door and flue) that are dumping your heat out of the oven. The second law of thermodynamics says the the universe moves to disorder (randomness). An oven is a very ordered system and is all the time trying to move in the direction of disorder, unless you do something to prevent that, like insulation. If you throw a bucket of tennis balls into a room they will come to rest in a random manner, they will not all rush to one corner of the room. It just doesn't happen. That is what you are asking the heat to do, stay in the oven. It's not going to happen.

This forum has a vast knowledge of WFOs and expertise in making well designed WFOs. If you don't want to take their advice, you should go elsewhere.

People are having a nice conversation here. Im not sure where the comment "If you don't want to take their advice, you should go elsewhere" came from. Did it make you feel good to say?
            Last edited by DJVoorhees; 09-15-2012, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X