• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
    Picked up the ceramic fibre "wool" on Friday after an adventure to the city. Had the opportunity to have a look at a local precast oven and was somewhat perplexed by the flue placement (well up the dome). I suppose it works but it looks strange after everything I have read here. It was interesting to see what refractory products are out there.

Happy to have gone down the trail of stacking bricks now! I will start curing my oven tomorrow.

Cheers........... Steve
    Gudday Steve
    There are heaps of different ovens at there. A lot of those "commercial" oven kits are built to a price and ease of built I suppose. I know of 6 ovens now. They all work and there owners are proud of them and I would never be critical of there work.....but I know enough to say here I recon the forno the better design.
    So onto curing fires now good idea I recon to cure now before insulating the dome.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

That's what I thought when I saw it.

First fire in mine today and pleased to report that most of the smoke went up the flue and only a couple of hairline cracks. I expect that they will grow as things hot up during the week.

Cheers ............ Steve

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
    and was somewhat perplexed by the flue placement (well up the dome). I suppose it works but it looks strange after everything I have read here.
    But it wont work well, thats the difference.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Picked up the ceramic fibre "wool" on Friday after an adventure to the city. Had the opportunity to have a look at a local precast oven and was somewhat perplexed by the flue placement (well up the dome). I suppose it works but it looks strange after everything I have read here. It was interesting to see what refractory products are out there.

Happy to have gone down the trail of stacking bricks now! I will start curing my oven tomorrow.

Cheers........... Steve

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

I took the arch out in a couple of pieces, built the pillars again and 'reinserted' the arch pieces (with a little adjustment) with the assistance of the arch form.

Lesson for the day - Do it right and do it once!

At least I am confident that it is there to stay now.

Cheers ............. Steve

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Version 2 looks a lot better, did you cheat and wedge the arch for in to hold it and just take down the side bricks?
    I would have......

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Good one!
    .....wouldn't the termites love that house. Couldn't do that in QLD
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

The ultimate arch! Just found a load of creative wood stacking pics.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Thanks Dave - Now that's sorted it is onwards and upwards again. Just got advice that the ceramic blanket material has arrived at the place you recommended. Might go get it on Friday.

In the meantime it is perfect weather for drying things here at the moment and perfect for chasing a fish and crab while the oven dries some.

Cheers ............. Steve

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Steve
    MK 2 ..... I like it,its balanced both in its buttressing strength and the " low line" of the front . I think it will work well with the slim steel chimney.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

A lesson learned. After much agonising I dismantled the arch and started again with pillars at the entry that will handle the arch, adequately I think.

All part of the journey, a small detour.

Version 2 looks better anyway.

Cheers.............. Steve

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

I think I will need to to tidy things up after I buttress the arch. Best I can work out I need provide support up to the brick the arch rests on. That will leave it a bit chunky out front.

I have some red bricks that are as hard as nails and thought about doing something with them. A veneer of some sort. I don't have any experience in decorative brickwork. Might have to look through some more pics for inspiration.

The flue pipe has improved the look of things as well. Reasonably priced at a local sheet metal shop at $85 for 1 metre of 8" stainless.

The bricks stacked up on the side of the entry are dry run thinking about shoring up the arch.

I would welcome any suggestions.

Cheers......... Steve

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Are you going to add a decorative brick front at all?

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Thanks Brickie - Only had a cursory look at that site so far but will scour it later this evening. It certainly is comprehensive.

I built the front arch today and it is isolated with stainless RHS so it is freestanding. I have room to buttress the straight sides. Any advise about how far up I would need to go?

As you can see, I am know little of bricklaying. I have a newfound respect for that trade. My previous experience with bricks was contemplating their use as a projectile. Somehow the dome was different, sorta like stacking rather than laying. Easier to build a heap than a straight wall.

Anyway, this is my progress picture and I now have a shiny stainless flue pipe ready to go. Can nearly smell the smoke!

Cheers............Steve

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post
    But
    Once you build the outside arch you don't have this "side ways" support and need to do it somehow.
    Correct.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X