• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brickie in oz
    replied
    Re: New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg

G'day Steve.
    When building the dome start from the back and work towards the front, that way all the little cuts end up out of sight and not in direct view when you look in the oven.

With ceramic blanket I use a disposable coverall, they cost about $5 but it beats taking the fibres into your house.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Steve
    Thermal break is a break between the brickwork of dome and hearth and the brickwork of the entrance and entrance hearth. Gap being filled with an insulation material so to slow heat lose to those external bits. Not completely necessary but a nice to have. Check out the aust section new build in Werribee there's quite a discussion on it.
    A common ball use to make a dome guide is one of those inflatable exercise balls the ones women buy, decide they look silly on and never use again. You can inflate it carefully inside the dome to fill the space. You could also cut a ply disk hold in in position inside the dome with a car jack and use it to build a dome shape from wet sand with a cover of plastic. Either way it good to be able to remove this temporary dome guide quickly so you can clean the inside of excess mortar when still damp.

Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Thanks for the heads up Dave. Good to know about the potential for irritation from this stuff. I found the place and have contacted them for a price.

How would a brick chimney fit in with a thermal break? Can it all work together? I expect that I would have to beef up the brickwork on the sides of the arch to deal with the extra weight and wonder how that would work.

Might be time to do some more reading about thermal breaks. I have read some of the discussions but I have not gleaned enough to get a clear notion of what I need to do. Probably be like the transition thing, at some point the penny drops and I will 'get it'.

One more question - what size ball is best to use to close a 36" dome?

Cheers........ Steve

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Goggle total refractories if I remember rightly there in Springwood , Brisbane. They have 50 mm as well 25 mm blanket go the 25 mm it's easier to bend around the curve. Wear a mask the little particle are an irritant , don't apply the blanket fresh from you morning shower and definitly don't shave.
    I don't know you plans but you have a bit of room till the edge of you slab might consider a brick chimney? With you new found brick skills.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

As the build is progressing nicely I need to source material for an insulating blanket. Can any of you Queensland/Australian WFOers provide any information on suppliers?

I am also interested in details of how to organise the flue. I was thinking of fabricating a steel one but could do with some clues on what a good one looks like.

This is a very satisfying project, and what has struck me is the depth of knowledge of the participants in the forum. Sort of hits the humble button for me. Today marked the first full chain above the inner entrance. Happy to have negotiated the arch and transition. It would have been 'interesting' without the wisdom of this forum.

Happy days

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Thanks Fabby. It is very satisfying when it works. Have had to stir up some grey cells that have been idle for a while.

Leave a comment:

• fabby
    replied

that looks great. I love the tight joints and the attention to detail.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

These bricks are a little softer inside than the fired surfaces so I will stick to the makers edge facing in.

I have made some progress and am up to forming the inner arch. This is all a very steep learning curve and the equipment and materials are also new to me. The saw and I are now well aquainted and I was surprised how user friendly it is. The angles involved in the dome walls meeting the uprights of the inner opening are a challenge no doubt. Could rewrite the adage about measuring and cutting but it is all good now.

Tomorrow I will have a crack at assembling the arch.

I am pursuing the notion of a thermal break between the inner arch and the entry. Can these be totally isolated or does there need to be an attachment somewhere there? Can anyone point me towards any pics of a well executed thermal break?

I will attach a couple of pics of progress so far and welcome any feedback or tips.

Cheers

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Steve,
    Cut side facing inwards is a good question. If the brick is fired all the way through why should it matter?

I'm doing the same for my build as the hardness if the seconds I am using seems consistent all the way through. Tough as nails theses old things are, possibly are higher duty brick than the floor tiles I bought new.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

You probably already know but you can use a mix of sand and fireclay as a leveling medium under your floor.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Thanks Russell - I will build around the floor. The floor bricks ended up very close to flat and level at the dress rehersal, a few rock on an imperfection but that will sort itself out when laid.

Onwards and upwards when I get to it this afternoon.

Cheers

Steve

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Steve,

IMHO, If you building and enclosure around your oven then building the dome on the floor bricks are easier since your floor cuts need not be as precise. If you are not enclosing your oven the you can go either way on the floor or around the floor but you need to factor in how the floor bricks will affect the overall shape of your oven. I did around the floor.

When I placed bricks I chose which face had the cleanest face regardless of cut or factory face. Can't comment on mixed bricks, did not use in my build.

If you have any high spots/edges on your floor you may want to use an angle grinder with a cupped diamond wheel to smooth out. This is so your peel will not catch the edge of the brick. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Had a good day with the saw and the floor bricks aren't tapers anymore and are ready to lay and enough are now cut to get the dome started. I figured on putting a thermal break outside the inner arch so I pulled the floor up there for now.

Can I get clarification about laying the floor inside the dome rather than building the dome on the floor bricks? The FB instructions talk about doing it that way but most of the pics show the dome on the floor. I have cut the bricks but it is not laid yet.

Another question I have is about consistency of bricks in the dome. I have mostly light bricks but I do have some smaller redish ones that I thought might be handy higher up the dome. Is is ok to mix them or does that create problems with different heating/cooling rates?

And finally, is it imperative that the manufactured surface of the brick face the interior of the other or is presenting the cut surface ok?

That is another load of questions but I figure it is better to ask first. Used up my quota of 'act in haste, repent at your leisure' for this life.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

No worries. I can only aspire to that quality of work.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Sorry, just re read the post, I saw Beehivers post and thought it was yours.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-31-2013, 02:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X