Artigiano 100 in North Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artigiano 100 in North Texas

I wanted to thank all of the wonderful, knowledgeable people here that make this a terrific source of information!

We're in the downhill stretch of our pizza oven installation, so I thought I'd post a few details. We had an existing small barbecue open on two sides which contained our gas grill and wood smoker. After getting enthused about wood-burning pizza ovens here, I decided to expand the barbecue into a large full-fledged covered outdoor kitchen with a corner installation of the pizza oven. I have tons and tons of admiration for everyone here who has built their own oven (and it seems that just about everyone does it themselves!) but I have neither the ability nor inclination to do the work myself. I wasn't sure whether we could find a local mason who knew how to properly build an oven, and there seemed to be plenty of contractor horror stories, so I decided to go with the Artigiano, which has the dome part pre-built. It is a gorgeous oven. The masons built a stone surround using Oklahoma Silvermist stone.

The up side of buying the oven partly pre-built is that I know it's constructed correctly. The down side is that it's really heavy. It took four strong men and some ingenuity to lift it into place.

Another difference in having the oven structure constructed by someone else vs doing it yourself is that there is no time to ponder anything! I was glad I had read a lot on this forum before construction began.

There is still some work to finish the counters, plumbing, and electrical, but I'm looking forward to our first pizza!

P.S. It turns out that our mason had built a wood burning pizza oven once before a few years ago, and he had kept the instructions that the owner had provided him, which he brought to show me. Guess what it was? A Forno Bravo Pompeii oven!

Re: Artigiano 100 in North Texas

I'm too computer dumb to do it but if you know how to, why dontcha post some pictures and show'em how we roll in Texas.I haven't seen a lot of Artigianos done so I'm looking forward to see you alls take on one.

Bill

Comment

Thanks, Bill. I put the pictures to date in an album, and let's see if this links to it:
      PhotoPlog - Artigiano 100 in North Texas

Hope it's not too boring!

Linne

Comment

Posting pics.

Down the bottom of the post or reply page, same beast, there is a manage attachments clickable, click, browse for pic, upload.

The pic needs to be small otherwise it wont upload.

Any links to the web with pics will be moderated just in case they are unsavory.
        Last edited by brickie in oz; 08-04-2013, 01:34 AM.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks, Al. Do you think I should post pictures here in the thread instead of in the album, or were you just saying how to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by lhs View Post
            Thanks, Al. Do you think I should post pictures here in the thread instead of in the album, or were you just saying how to do it?
            Pictures as part of the thread are helpful because you get to see things at the same time as reading the post.

Not all pictures need to be posted in the thread but ones that help with clarification or those that are so beautiful that you just can not resist putting them up at every opportunity.
            Last edited by mrchipster; 08-05-2013, 05:12 AM.
            Chip

Comment

Gotcha. I don't know about "too beautiful to resist", but here's a before and after.

Comment

Very nice work looks like a great place to get some real cooking done.
                Chip

Comment

Yea that's a nice little Texas set up.Please keep the pictures coming.This looks epic

Bill

Comment

Looks very nice! Any pics of the insides ? Gotta insulate and separate the oven from that combustible wood frame. They get very hot.
                    Texman Kitchen
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

I didn't get a lot of inside pictures because they were working fast and I was trying not to get in their way. The closest clearance to the wood frame is 6" and it's that close only on the left and right sides towards the back as it curves around. The ceiling is 10' high, so there's a lot of clearance on the top.

The installation guide says the oven must have a minimum 1" clearance to combustibles from all sides, and 14" clearance to combustibles from the top. And the area directly above the doorway and 6" to each side of the doorway must be covered with noncombustible material. (1" seems pretty close, but that's what it says.)

The Artigiano comes with a bunch of the 1" FB insulating blanket, and we put all of it on the dome and secured it with wire. There are at least 3 layers all over and 4 layers in some places.

The Duratech chimney is supposed to have a 2" clearance from combustibles, and it's not quite that at the moment once it gets up about 6' above the oven, but I'm working on solving that problem.

Comment

that sounds good. good insulation is something you will benefit from in efficiency and peace of mind. i was really concerned with insulation because my oven is under roof and next to the house like yours. i added some passive vents to allow air exchange mainly for humidity control but also to prevent heat build up outside the oven. That dome will hit 1000 degrees and that means a saturated dome will be that hot on the outside as well. 3 and 4 layers of blanket is way good. just wanted to be sure you had that dome all tucked in.

Great job.

Texman
                        Texman Kitchen

Comment

I did see one thing in the pictures I thought I'd ask you about.In one picture it seems as though the floor tiles of the oven are spread apart.Was this picture taken before the mason was finished, or is it still that way?

Bill

Comment

Here's what it looks like now. It's closer, but there is still a little gap - maybe between 1/16" and 1/8". What should it be?

Comment

fill it with ash/fireclay-no worries.

Texman
                              Texman Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                              X