Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building my 1st oven on Tickfaw River in La.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building my 1st oven on Tickfaw River in La.

Appears that he has 4-5 inches of vermicrete under the oven, no? Am I misinterpreting? Seems like that should be sufficient.

I would be more concerned about the potential for that base to absorb water in those torrential LA rainstorms, as I think other builders have experienced this when they recessed their insulation. But I guess that depends on how it is covered/sealed.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
      Appears that he has 4-5 inches of vermicrete under the oven, no? Am I misinterpreting? Seems like that should be sufficient.

I would be more concerned about the potential for that base to absorb water in those torrential LA rainstorms, as I think other builders have experienced this when they recessed their insulation. But I guess that depends on how it is covered/sealed.
      Correct, i have 4-5" of vermicrete underneath the floor
      The insulation will be totally encased.
      I found this image on the site and my outer shape will be similar to this.
      Last edited by Crawfish fest; 08-19-2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Hi DJ,

It's under the slab as per the Scott's design, not under the hearth and wall. So in essence he has a heat sink. That design works fine for someone that use the oven day in day out and it consume a great deal of fuel, but for casual users like most of us, it takes forever to heat up and maintain temperature. So, placement of the insulation is vital.

Comment

"A lental of 3" angle iron will be used as a suport over the door opening."

Because of its much higher thermal conductivity, it is wise to leave a 5 mm gap on each end of the angle iron to allow it to expand without creating stress on your brickwork. The steel gets hotter way quicker than the bricks.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
            Hi DJ,

It's under the slab as per the Scott's design, not under the hearth and wall. So in essence he has a heat sink. That design works fine for someone that use the oven day in day out and it consume a great deal of fuel, but for casual users like most of us, it takes forever to heat up and maintain temperature. So, placement of the insulation is vital.
            We changed our design somewhat, after reading so much here on the board.
            The insulation is on top of the slab.
            I do appreciate your thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              "A lental of 3" angle iron will be used as a suport over the door opening."

Because of its much higher thermal conductivity, it is wise to leave a 5 mm gap on each end of the angle iron to allow it to expand without creating stress on your brickwork. The steel gets hotter way quicker than the bricks.
              Good tip, thanks!!!!!

Comment

ah. Perhaps I have misunderstood. If the way it is built (from bottom to top) is vermicrete --> Concrete --> Firebrick then I totally agree - Laurentius' advice is spot on. Should be Concrete --> Vermicrete (or CF Board) --> Firebrick - which is what I thought you'd done.

Cover looks good. I've experienced some of your rain showers down there, and Seattle has nothing on you. We get mere sprinkles.
                My build progress

Comment

ah. Perhaps I have misunderstood. If the way it is built (from bottom to top) is vermicrete --> Concrete --> Firebrick then I totally agree - Laurentius' advice is spot on. Should be Concrete --> Vermicrete (or CF Board) --> Firebrick - which is what I thought you'd done.

Cover looks good. I've experienced some of your rain showers down there, and Seattle has nothing on you. We get mere sprinkles.
                  No, concrete is on bottom
                  I think we are all on the same page now.
                  We were very careful not to make the base into a heat sink.
                  M

Comment

Originally posted by Crawfish fest View Post
                    No, concrete is on bottom
                    I think we are all on the same page now.
                    We were very careful not to make the base into a heat sink.
                    M
                    Cool. Probably feels like a nanny-state with all the comments - but there have been quite a few builders with finished ovens who come here complaining that they can't get them hot, and it turns out they haven't used any insulation. Not much you can do that that point except for start over.
                    My build progress

Comment

Cool. Probably feels like a nanny-state with all the comments - but there have been quite a few builders with finished ovens who come here complaining that they can't get them hot, and it turns out they haven't used any insulation. Not much you can do that that point except for start over.
                      I appreciate people who have dome this before looking over my shoulder.
                      I have read thru many threads on here to learn more. Of what to do and not to do. I do not mind learning from others.
                      This is going to be my last oven, i want it done right the 1st time.
                      I can't stand the idea of a do-over.
                      If nothing else, i have the fb mantra, insulate, insulate, insulate.
                      I am hoping to post more pics next sunday.
                      Thanks
                      Michael
                      Last edited by Crawfish fest; 08-19-2013, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only trying to help. I when back to the photos you posted, there was one of you recessing the insulation into the support, then one of it covered in concrete or cement, smoothed out, next with fire brick floor and wall started, right? So, in the mean time, did you chip off the concrete or cement and not show photos of that? If not, you're going to have a problem.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only trying to help. I when back to the photos you posted, there was one of you recessing the insulation into the support, then one of it covered in concrete or cement, smoothed out, next with fire brick floor and wall started, right? So, in the mean time, did you chip off the concrete or cement and not show photos of that? If not, you're going to have a problem.
                          No worries, yes, we got down into the slab, then added the 5:1 vermi-crete
                          The slab u are referring to is the vermi-crete, not concrete.
                          I think we are ok
                          Thanks for posting
                          I am learning a lot
                          Michael
                          Last edited by Crawfish fest; 08-19-2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crawfish fest View Post
                            No worries, yes, we got down into the slab, then added the 5:1 vermi-crete
                            The slab u are referring to is the vermi-crete, not concrete.
                            I think we are ok
                            Thanks for posting
                            I am learning a lot
                            Michael
                            OK, Michael.
                            So, your post with Photo, on 08/12/2013 at 09:35am, was of ver/crete, right?

Comment

OK, Michael.
                              So, your post with Photo, on 08/12/2013 at 09:35am, was of ver/crete, right?
                              Yes, it was

Comment

It has just been suggested to me that my floor is too thick and i should set the bricks on their face, and not the sides.
                                Thoughts? Ugh
                                Thanks
                                M

Comment

Working...
                                X