• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jwnorris
    replied
    Re: The Pocono Plan!

Originally posted by mastergene View Post
    That sounds insulated quite sufficiently! I wonder what the cooking floor temp was at that time? was it also 900?
    Gene
    I had gotten side tracked along the way and had not moved the fire to the rear corner of the oven as early as I normally do so the floor was a bit below the 900F mark itself in the center. I am pleased with the level of insulation.

J W

Leave a comment:

• mastergene
    replied

Originally posted by jwnorris View Post
    To help in the decision making process, consider this. My FB Casa110 oven floor sits on a 2 inch layer of SuperIsol board. That sits on a sheet of 1/2 inch cement board.

The other day, after firing the oven to a smokin" 900 F in the dome, the underside of the cement board measured 140 F. While more insulation may drop that some; depending on the method of insulation, it may not add enough value.

J W
    That sounds insulated quite sufficiently! I wonder what the cooking floor temp was at that time? was it also 900?
    Gene

Leave a comment:

• mastergene
    replied

Originally posted by Archena View Post
    Someone else posted this a while back - you might like it: Redneck Pool Heater

Saline system: (can't find the one I wanted... ) Saline Pool Systems - Salt water, 'natural' chlorination for any water. Never use 'pool chlorine' again! Free SYSTEM DESIGNER, quotes.
    The pool heater is priceless . Amazing his dad had it figured just right!
    Thanks for the saline link I have info coming now!!
    Gene

Leave a comment:

• jwnorris
    replied

<snip> I was wondering if there is benefit to increasing the thickness of the oven floor hearth insulating layer from 4" to 8" ? I studied civil engineering in university and always overdesign. <snip>
    To help in the decision making process, consider this. My FB Casa110 oven floor sits on a 2 inch layer of SuperIsol board. That sits on a sheet of 1/2 inch cement board.

The other day, after firing the oven to a smokin" 900 F in the dome, the underside of the cement board measured 140 F. While more insulation may drop that some; depending on the method of insulation, it may not add enough value.

J W

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Someone else posted this a while back - you might like it: Redneck Pool Heater

Saline system: (can't find the one I wanted... ) Saline Pool Systems - Salt water, 'natural' chlorination for any water. Never use 'pool chlorine' again! Free SYSTEM DESIGNER, quotes.

Leave a comment:

• mastergene
    replied

Thanks for all the well wish's. It is beautiful here in the poconos for sure. Our Indian Summer is leaving us this week and the cold is on the way. I will look into the saline system reguarding the filter system. It sounds neat. With the saline in it I wont have to worry about boiling the water by to much heat from my wood system! salt raises the BP!!
    Gene

Leave a comment:

• Pannabecker
    replied

I can't wait to hear more about your wood heated pool as you move forward. We have a friend who has a wood heated hot tub. I haven't seen it yet.

I love the Poconoes. That's where my family vacationed (camped) when I was a kid. Also, my husband and I met there. I lived in Bucks County, 2 hours from the Poconoes.

Good luck with your projects. Karen

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Cool.

Actually, the salinity is well below that of the ocean. It's high enough to prevent algae/bacteria growth, however.

Anyway, best wishes on your projects.

Leave a comment:

• mastergene
    replied

Hi there, Thanks for the insight's. The mass of the different cooking/heating units wont be shared. The pool is existing and currently clorine yet next season I think bromine will be the choice. I am not aware of the saline type yet pictures of me fishing in the pool come to mind when I think of it!! I poured 90 yds of 4500psi concrete 6"min to 12" at my shop and the extra cost was $300 on a $13K job so it dosn't cost much more to go first class!

I will take pics for sure as it develops!.

Gene

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Ah, okay. In that case, I like the idea I'd rather heat the oven and not the wood storage underneath.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Archena View Post
    Um, wouldn't that increase the need for insulating the hearth? I mean, that extra mass would just make the hearth a bigger heat sink, wouldn't it?
    I thought that at first too, but I think he is talking specifically about the insulating layer.

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

As a top member of the "overdoers ananamous" club I was wondering if there is benefit to increasing the thickness of the oven floor hearth insulating layer from 4" to 8" ? I studied civil engineering in university and always overdesign.

Gene
    Hi!

Um, wouldn't that increase the need for insulating the hearth? I mean, that extra mass would just make the hearth a bigger heat sink, wouldn't it?

Oh, and on the pool, are you considering saline? I sooo want to try that (if I ever a) get property and b) get anything built! ). They say it's a lot more comfortable than chlorine and easier to maintain, too.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

As a top member of the "overdoers ananamous" club I was wondering if there is benefit to increasing the thickness of the oven floor hearth insulating layer from 4" to 8" ? I studied civil engineering in university and always overdesign.
    Gene
    Well it sure wouldn't hurt. Everyone always says, "insulate, insulate, insulate!!"

That being said, I don't know if the benefits outweigh the costs. I.E. overkill..

But there are many others around here who are much more experienced and knowledgeable than me. And I'm pretty sure they will be happy to weigh in on this issue.

So... anyways

Nice to have you on board. It will be fun watching your project, both oven and especially this pool heater gizmo.
    Take lots of pics.

Leave a comment:

• mastergene
    replied

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
    Hi Eugene and welcome aboard,
    it looks like you are well are of the way this forum works. There are plent of members more than willing to offer assitance and advice.
    Sound like you have a fair sort of work ahead of you.
    How are you planning on heating your water, from your oven or a separate wood fired heater?
    Are you planning on heating your pool?
    How cold does it get up your way?
    (from someone who is not familiar with the US climate).

Neill
    Hello Neill and thanks for the welcome. I plan to heat the water in a separate wood fired masonary heater with a stainless heat exchanger i will design and fabricate. I have a endless supply of wood,mostly all hardwood and after analyzing the expense and btu exchange of propane pool heaters its a no brainer. The outdoor kitchen will be an extension of the concrete pool deck so i think the pool/pizza parties will be many! Mid january typically sees -25F yet summer temps(june,july,aug) dont go over 90. The water never gets much over 72F. My property has a endless supply of feild stone that was stacked on stone walls indicating old property lines in past centuries and thus the raw materials for the finishing surface and the mass for the heater.

Gene

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Hi Eugene and welcome aboard,
    it looks like you are well are of the way this forum works. There are plent of members more than willing to offer assitance and advice.
    Sound like you have a fair sort of work ahead of you.
    How are you planning on heating your water, from your oven or a separate wood fired heater?
    Are you planning on heating your pool?
    How cold does it get up your way?
    (from someone who is not familiar with the US climate).

Neill

Leave a comment:

Working...
X