Pompeii Instruction String modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompeii Instruction String modifications

I am still at least a year away from starting this project - gotta convince the wife first. I was reading one of the thread about crack problems from dissimilar materials and reviewing the Pompeii instruction on the mother site. So if I get the thread right once you have finished laying the fire brick you will need an expansion joint of sorts for the rest of the structure. On the lines of where the instruction could be more clear I came across this rather confusingly put together sentence.

The Oven Opening
    Set the from house wall back such that the brick arch at the oven opening projects forward by a couple of inches.

http://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii_ov...led_house.html

In my copiuos free time I will print out the full set of intructions as I believe there are other places where the instruction string is a bit confusing. I know that is what the forum is here to fix - all our unanswered questions.

Side note - Robert - was up in Magalia/Paradise the other weekend for the parental units 50th wedding anniversary - I waved by as I blew through town did you see me ;-). Unfortunately a weekend trip does not allow short side trips. I would like to show the wife your handiwork sometime. She's seen the photos and still I need to convince her....

instructions !?!? we don't need no stinkin' instructions ... muhahahaha

i have to admit that i wanted more and clearer instructions when i started but after you begin you realize that its just a dome with a hole in the front. one of the very charming aspects of this whole pompeii oven thing for me is that, as we go along and more and more people build them, its becoming apparent that pompeii ovens are like fingerprints; no two alike.

my oven has no expansion joints (but does have a slip plane which i suspect has never "slipped".) i did get a small crack in the rear of my dome but i just covered it up with mortar when applying the vermiculite layer to the outside. out of sight / out of mind.

i really don't think that anyone has a crack "problem". they just have a crack "feature".

i think the one thing you might need to be concerned with is that living in gardenia your proximity to neighbors might create a situation where you could smoke em out, so i'd be more concerned with vent construction and oven placement.
    my site for our pompeii and tandoor ovens
    www.killdawabbit.com

Comment

Smok'm neighbors

the back yard is about 25 by 100 feet 1 side and back wall is 50 yr old salmon cinderblock. Other side wall is the neighbor's stucco covered garage. Upaginast that "wall" is a row of lilly's. Overhead electrical wires are hung on the far wall between me and the neighbor behind me. There is a 5 foot set back right of way for SoCalEdison (our PG&E or SMUD equivalent), that kinda rules out putting it up againt the back wall. Porobably wouldn't be too good to overheat high tension lines anyway. That leaves the other side wall which is currenlty sporting a victory garden of plants to attract butterlflies and assorted herbs. Right now that is my prime candidate. The side neighbor just built out to his home and comletely filledup his backyard with his house. I feel sorry for his dogs. I will have to check to see if there is a set back from the common wall, I bet it is 5 feet there too. I would prefer to build in the far back corner as he has put his bathroom back there and my little project would not interupt his view as his bathroom windows are opaque.

No worries about smokin' out the neighbors in Gardena - the hood loves a good que and every weekend someone is out cookin' da ribs. Being 87% Sicilian I think it is only fair I return tha flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Musa
        i have to admit that i wanted more and clearer instructions when i started but after you begin you realize that its just a dome with a hole in the front. one of the very charming aspects of this whole pompeii oven thing for me is that, as we go along and more and more people build them, its becoming apparent that pompeii ovens are like fingerprints; no two alike.
        Yay! Exactly. To be honest, none of these is going to Venus so this is an opportunity to exercise your creativity & let your inner child out to play. One advantage of the lack of formal "must follow one step at a time" instructions is that everyone gets to make their oven a reflection of themselves.

I could publish a how-to book with those kind of instructions but the ovens built to "spec" wouldn't work any better and in some cheesey way I think we'd be losing something special - after all we're doing this because we don't like cookie-cutter pizza or bread. Remember, there will be no other oven in the whole world just like yours when you're done.

This is true of all good ovens by the way. Check out Kiko Denzer's book for some really cool pictures of oven's he's built or has come across in his travels. Some are just unbelievably wonderful.

Jim

Comment

Jim, Robert,

I agree. The individuality is wonderful. Using the POMPEII Site as a guideline was a great help. I found that during this buiding process there is flexability in the plans for the occasional "tweek" or even the occasional "OOPS" with the result of a great oven nonetheless.

Bob C
          Great pizza, a cold beer,a great cigar and great friends...my idea of a great time

Comment

Limited space? Consider a piomike design.

jengineer wrote in part:

"the back yard is about 25 by 100 feet"

(M) So it seems that space and/or location is a strong constraint for him.

(M) I remembered seeing a portable design by piomike that follows the sentiments voiced below: "The individuality is wonderful.", and "everyone gets to make their oven a reflection of themselves. "

(M) Since piomike has listed his email, invited questions and posted his pictures, I'd like to recommend that jengineer (name?) follow the Copy-Paste links that follow:

[img]images/misc/navbits_start.gif[/img] Forno Bravo Forum > Pizza Oven Installation Forum > Modular Refractory Oven Installation [img]images/misc/navbits_finallink.gif[/img] I decided to build it different
            piomike@yahoo.com

(M) MIke wrote, in part, ...
            "
            ......then cover it all in natural stone and porcelain tile and keep the whole thing light enough to roll on the heavy duty casters. It's all done now, I have photos posted up the point of the roof tiles ready to be installed. I put those on today and stained the wood trim. burning the small break in fire now. It took 4 full weekends and a couple of extra weekdays to complete. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/piomi...h9vkwCBbBI.DCgi
            Click this address for start to finish photos and take a look, let me know what you think. I'll post the final pictures in the next day or so."

(M) I hope that this "publicity" is OK with you Mike?

Ciao,

Marcel
            "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
            but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Working...
            X