It's Time to Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's Time to Start

Check Ebay for ceramic fiber blanket. I think you can find a better price.

I'm guessing 230 bricks minimum, depending on how precise you'll be cutting your bricks. I think Ken's Old Kentucky Dome thread has a spreadsheet (which I've never looked at) may detail his brick use.

George
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

If you are going to get all the bricks at once, go 300 to be safe. Return the rest if needed, and you also have the opportunity to use best ones too..
      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
        Check Ebay for ceramic fiber blanket. I think you can find a better price.

George
        The prices I was quoting were for 2", 1" would be half that about $44-55 which is less than ebay and I can avoid shipping. I'm planing on going with the 8# , thinking it is just like a heavier blanket.
        RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
        Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
          The prices I was quoting were for 2", 1" would be half that about $44-55 which is less than ebay and I can avoid shipping. I'm planing on going with the 8# , thinking it is just like a heavier blanket.
          8 lb has better insulating qualities.
          My thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
          My costs:
          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
          My pics:
          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Yes, 8#, two inch thickness would be awesome. Sounds like your price is excellent. Perhaps a third inch and do away with anymore insulation such as vermiculite/concrete/perlcrete. My three inches plus around my 36" plus one inch +/- vermiculite/concrete allow no heat transfer at all.

Geeze, I love your property. What water are we looking across? The Gulf, or is that a lake?
            GJBingham

-

Comment

About Vermiculite, I'd advise to take the medium. Mine was too corse and while it works ok, the insulating layer will be more stable with medium, as the cement is more evenly distributed through it.

Talking of bricks, I got 200 and now have about 65 left over... but they were slightly bigger than the US ones and I made hardly any cuts, so don't listen to me on that one
              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Geeze, I love your property. What water are we looking across? The Gulf, or is that a lake?
                We live on Richland Chambers Reservoir, it's the third largest lake in Texas. It was built in 1988 as backup water supply for Fort Worth. We are an hour south of Dallas but the lake isn't overdeveloped. We love it here
                RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Yes, 8#, two inch thickness would be awesome. Sounds like your price is excellent. Perhaps a third inch and do away with anymore insulation such as vermiculite/concrete/perlcrete. My three inches plus around my 36" plus one inch +/- vermiculite/concrete allow no heat transfer at all.
                  I had been thinking about a 2 inch blanket and 2 bags of loose vermiculite over it, but you have change my mind to 3" of blanket. The cost trade off is a push. I'm thinking about a stone exterior later so I could always add loose V later
                  RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Oh by the way I've saved the picture from the previous post from the internet, I think on the FB forum . I'm planning on something like it - it may cost more than the rest of the WFO.
                    RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

RC, I plan on stone exterior too. Who knows though, at time of framing, my mind may change. Sounds similar to each phase of the oven build. We see great ideas to use. Lets see if you keep this idea
                      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

costs a lot.....yes, but it is really cool, huh? Having someone else do the work for you would really cost a bundle. Think about how much money you're saving!

George
                        GJBingham

-

Comment

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm finally done with chapter 4 of the e-book. Only 13 chapters to go. My son was home for the holidays and we mixed and poured the concrete for the stand holes and the hearth. Six bags of portland cement, 60 5-gallon pails of sand/gravel mix(lifted 5 times each) and 5 hours of hard work but this phase is done

I would like to thank Dmun for his concrete tutorial in getting to this stage. I didn't rent a mixer for this stage but the mixing wasn't the bad part it was lifting the sand and then the cement that wore me out.

I'll post pictures as soon as my arms can lift the camera up.

By the way I was in Dallas this week and picked up 2 bags of Heat Stop 50 and a strap of 75 fire bricks, so while the kids sleep in I start on the floor design. Oh By The Way, be careful with these brick shops they will try to sell you anything, claiming it is the refractory mortar that you want. I wish shipping wasn't so expensive so I could have ordered it from FB.
                          RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

You noticed that too about the masonry supply places. They all gave me a dumb look when I asked for low-duty fire brick, then kind of nod and say "yup, we've got firebrick".
                            GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
                              I would like to thank Dmun for his concrete tutorial in getting to this stage. I didn't rent a mixer for this stage but the mixing wasn't the bad part it was lifting the sand and then the cement that wore me out.
                              You're more than welcome. It must be pretty well buried at this point. I put that information together because I couldn't find anything useful on the internet.

Mixing with the mixer is really worthwhile for the big slabs.
                              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I thought I would post some pictures of my progress. First on the stand, my wife was out of town with the camera so these are from my phone, so quality is so so.
                                1) I went with a "H" stand so I can store firewood from both sides, otherwise whatever was in the back would stay there.
                                2) Then I went without a lentil, making the opening larger. I did use angel iron glued on to tie the two sides together and with the center wall I figured the vast majority of the dome will be secure.
                                RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X