Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Enough Lurking - time to commit

Rick, suggesting 46"? How big is yours?
    An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

I've just laid out my floor (42") and it seems huge. I imagine with the dome it does get smaller. I can't imagine a 46". we will see
      RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
      Oven Thread

Comment

Sounds like we're in the same boat. I did my landscaping last year, in a rush to get plants/trees into the ground. As the old saying goes, the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. Anyway, the place is still a mess, especially so, considering I'm only concentrating on the oven these days. Lots to do elsewhere, but that can wait. The trees I should have planted 20 years ago are in......

My slab was only 4 inches thick, but it was place inside an existing footing that was 8ish inches wide. Half of the oven stand sits on that footing, so I think I'm OK.

Here's my take on Duratech. Like your's, my oven is close to the house, on a slab 12 -13 feet wide. I built it into a corner and once it was built, the chimney ended up about 8ish inches away from the roof of the adjacent pool enclosure, so I needed 8 feet of chimney to get the two feet over the roof as dictated by code. I'd planned for this all along but it still ended up being $500! Definitely the most costly part of the oven. Put that in your budget or plan on something less costly. The flue liner may be a better choice, but has it's own issues that you must deal with.

Send me an IM with your phone number if you want to come by. I'll push some of the cut bricks laying all over the place out of the way so you don't hurt yourself while visiting.

George
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by oventhusiast View Post
          Hi 'BroCoo'
          ditch the 36" idea and go for a 46" Pompeii.
          Rick
          Unforetunely I have only 9 ft 6 iches to work with. In that space I need to install the pizza oven and leave a walkway between it and the house. The most efficient use of the space requires a corner install. This should leave me with a 3 ft walkway betwee the oven and the house. It also limits me to a 36 in oven. However, with the BBQ and the smoker I should still be able to feed a small army .
          I started looking for my septic tank today. I know it is in the area and if I am not careful I could end up with that sinking feeling. I have heard of garbage pizza but I never want to see a septic pizza .
          Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

They say you want saturation of heat (not septic). Be careful looking, you don't want to have a scene similar to "Meet the (Fockers) Parents". 36" will be fine for that small army. You will develop a system efficiently able to accomodate.
            An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by brokencookie View Post
              The most efficient use of the space requires a corner install. This should leave me with a 3 ft walkway betwee the oven and the house. It also limits me to a 36 in oven.
              Just chiming in here to say that I originally planned on building a 42"... But due to one thing and another it ended up as a 40" oven... And it is still ample for feeding family and friends! Just the other day I was thinking that 36" would have been enough really...

So I'm sure 36" will work out for you. And personally, I like corner installation ovens. And the igloo style.
              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

DUH! Sorry All! The 46" was a typo, (or a 'middle-aged moment'!) I meant to put 42", That's what I built.
                Rick
                View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Bruce,
                  I just went out and measured mine. It's a 37" corner installation oven with a slightly too long entryway (in my opinion), and medium sized landing. I misspoke about the dimensions of my slab area. It is only 8' 6" wide. My oven ended up closer to the wall than I thought it would be - the corner of the landing is only 29 inches away. The corner of the decorative arch is 33" from the wall.

I think that you will be fine with the space that you have and still have plenty of room to design your finish.

BTW, if you're planning on stucco, plan way ahead. No one carries it in the NW as far as I can figure. Even Mutual Materials doesn't have it. If you need it, maybe you'll have better luck finding it up North. I had to special order mine at Lowes, but they can only get it on a re-stocking shipment. It's been about 3 weeks so far and it's still not here.

G.

G.
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Thanks for all the input. My wife and I are still dicussing the finish of the oven. I may have made a mistake and showed the the photos of finished ovens She is currently lobbying for "natural" stone or brick for the exterior. I have done both types of work around the house and yard so I can't quite claim ignorance. I am held captive by my own success Oh well...keeping the wife happy is all part of the oven building scheme. Happy wife = pizza making - unhappy wife = building dog house to live in
                    Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Working...
                    X