No announcement yet.

Guanajuato Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm able to source a couple of insulating options for under the oven. I've attached the PDFs for what is available locally and highlighted the ones that they have in stock (HD board + K-23 & K-25). Hopefully these load correctly. I'd appreciate the expert's opinions on the pro's and con's of the three choices available. MORGAN Board Products TDS.pdf Morgan IFB Datasheet.pdf

Comment

With all my tools in hand, materials finally located and ready to purchase, and my paper design hopefully complete, I thought I would post again and run some design and construction issues up the flag pole.

I hope to start in a week or two and I plan to post photos of my progress along with inquiries.

Floor insulation will be 2x2" Foamglas with 2" calsil on top, total 6". If I could have obtained 3" calsil I would have gone with 7". I found that it is easier to find calsil if you use the brand names. Some sales people connect better that way. I think home oven builders get different sales people than commercial and industrial customers. It was quite an adventure to locate sources for calsil and foamglas in Mexico.

Herringbone oven floor extending beneath the dome. This just seems easier with less precise cuts needed. Also, (probably of little consequence) there is more bearing surface to transfer the dome weight onto the calsil. I don't think I will wear out the floor bricks in my lifetime and, if necessary, I could veneer with the porous basalt stone slabs available here.

The vent arch and landing are completely isolated from the oven dome. There is a 2" insulated separation. This gap will have an insulated stainless channel on the landing. I am undecided what insulation material to use on the arch gap - foamglas, calsil, or perlcrete, perhaps with refractory cement or perlcrete veneer. I'll make a decision when I get these materials in hand and with serious consideration of input from this forum. I've never worked with these materials. The concern is spalling down onto the landing and keeping the insulation in place. This area will be serviceable; so I think there is little risk in the experiment. The most complicated solution might be to fit a stainless channel over the entire insulation perimeter.

There has been a fair amount of forum discussion regarding a thermal break. My thoughts are based on my experience with industrial furnace design. The relatively wide break will lower the heat loss and also mitigate high temperature gradient and thermal strain. A narrower gap would allow for movement, but do less for the temperature gradient. The 2" width can be compared to the 6" or 8" dome insulation thickness. In my oven 2" it fits well into the design with the 6" chimney and excess 2" thick insulation materials.

The vent arch is only 6.5" long. I am keeping it short for oven access, while the landing extends out, 11" total, (9"brick, plus the 2" thermal break area). Since I have no wfo baking experience, I wonder what others might think of this.
      The chimney will be custom made 6" square double-wall, insulated with perlite. It bears on the vent arch and cantilevers onto the oven arch with insulation islating it from the oven arch. I plan to use high temperature caulk to seal at the brick services and lateral bracing above the oven.

Comment

Working...
      X