X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTflorida
    replied
    Re: new guy on the block

For the inexperienced mason, dry stacking is the way to go on this project as long as you do as mentioned - at least fill every other core and use rebar. Getting your mortar lines even and keeping the blocks level and true can be tricky, so the dry stack method has been recommended on this forum. As far as stability, I've heard of no one that has had any issues (including myself) as long as you are starting with a good slab or foundation. The overall weight when you are done will not allow anything short of an earthquake to move your stand.
    The other great benefit - you can complete the stacking process in 10-15 minutes (basically saving yourself about a days worth of work, compared to mortaring between the blocks). Filling the cores and rebar would be recommended with either process.

RT

Leave a comment:

• jimmyjam
    replied

Originally posted by staestc View Post
    This thread popped back up, and I saw that I had missed the slab question. A slab from the 50's with no cracks that is still level? I would say go for it, but just for the record, do you know how thick it is? If not, did a bit by one side, and you will either find out how thick it is, or find out that it has footings. But I would guess you are probably good to go.

Travis
    It is around a foot thick with a couple of cracks-nothing to big.

Question-
    as far as the cement goes with cinder block- is it true to fill every other holes with cement and rebar? so, no cement between the blocks?

Leave a comment:

• jimmyjam
    replied

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    It depends on what a guy (or girl) likes doing - well, that and how much money they want to spend. If you think you'll enjoy the challenge of building your own dome from scratch, do it! Its really great fun!

But there are plenty of people here who've got precast ovens, too - you'll get to cook pizza a lot sooner that way.
    Dusty,

Thanks for the info..Did you build yours with brick or Pre-Cast? JJ

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Originally posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Les,
    Thanks, went to the site and will be going to Sac Town soon. JJ
    Great place to buy firebricks. They generally don't sell to the public, but will sell you "seconds" for 30 cents each. The seconds are very, very adaquate.

I have been there many times. Let me know if I can help.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

This thread popped back up, and I saw that I had missed the slab question. A slab from the 50's with no cracks that is still level? I would say go for it, but just for the record, do you know how thick it is? If not, did a bit by one side, and you will either find out how thick it is, or find out that it has footings. But I would guess you are probably good to go.

Travis

Leave a comment:

• JConk007
    replied

Hi,
    The slab may be fine but you may want to dig around the outside and see if there are any footings (thicker and deeper than slab) or drill a small hole to determine the thickness of the slab. Chances are it will be fine, you dont have the frost issue? as I do in NJ were my footings are 3 ft below grade the block work is built up from there.
    If you are really Fired up and want to make pizza sooner than later go with the dome casa models. A bit more $$ overall but go together so much easier and quicker than the brick/barrel build and provide great results. I have heard as little as 2-3 wks from delivery to first pies.
    pizzamaking.com has some great info on building as well. Good luck with whatever you choose. The sooner the better.
    John
    Last edited by JConk007; 11-03-2008, 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Originally posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Do most Forum guys use the brick dome or buy the pre-cast...seems like a guy can save some serious $$$ going with Brick.
    It depends on what a guy (or girl) likes doing - well, that and how much money they want to spend. If you think you'll enjoy the challenge of building your own dome from scratch, do it! Its really great fun!

But there are plenty of people here who've got precast ovens, too - you'll get to cook pizza a lot sooner that way.

Leave a comment:

• jimmyjam
    replied

Les,
    Thanks, went to the site and will be going to Sac Town soon. JJ

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Jimmy - you're in luck. H.C. Muddox is located in Sacramento. A member of this forum (acoma) went to their yard and got a pretty good deal on seconds.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• jimmyjam
    replied

Dusty & Travis-
    Thanks for the advice- I was pretty sure the cement patio was strong enoungh.

I down loaded the plans and doing my DD.

Where is the best place to order all the Bricks and materails? from FB? Where is FB located in CA?

Do most Forum guys use the brick dome or buy the pre-cast...seems like a guy can save some serious $$$ going with Brick.

I hope these ?'s are ok..

JimmyJam

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

Hi jj, and welcome to the forum. Best advice is to start studying the forum, right after you download and read the FornoBravo plans as Dusty suggested. Just following though some of the thread here and watching how people build their ovens does wonders.

Here's a link to where to get the plans if you have not allready. They are free, require you to register (different registration that the forum), but don't require a credit card or anything. Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick Oven

Good luck,
    Travis

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Welcome fellow Nor Cal-er!

Regarding the foundation:
    Sounds perfect to me. Remember that the oven hearth, slab and oven itself are very heavy. Most foundations are reinforced with rebar. If this slab was built to support a heavy fountain, and has remained sound since the 50's, it should work fine.

I think we would all here recomend the round dome oven shape.

I started by down-loading the Forno Bravo oven plans. These will answer 95% of your questions. Probably help you with the foundation too.

I am sure someone here can help with the other 5%.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• jimmyjam
    started a topic new guy on the block

new guy on the block

Hey from Nor Cal. I am really fired up to build a WFO- I have a old concrete slab for a foundation from the 50's. flat,smooth- will this be ok to use?

I feel the round dome is the way to go- any suggestions on getting started?

jimmyjam
Working...
X