Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello from Adelaide

Hi Guys,

Haven't been able to get onto the site due to other commitments but great to see all the info. Thanks Neil for the info on vents as I have wondering what I was going to do with mine. I'm gong to visit Thermal Ceramics today and see about buying some perlite or similar before everything closes for Christmas/New Year which is when I might get some time to do more work. I'm still building the stand & it is slowly growing but I've realised my initial foundation may be a little small so I'm looking at pouring a larger base for the oven floor. This is going to be interesting but I will let you know how it goes. Got bricks to lay so will get on with it,

Chow. Benny

Comment

Hey Benny,

Welcome back. Good to see that you have made some progress. I ended up going with the besser blocks for the oven stand and they are now up. I hope to pour the cement hearth on Saturday. Let me know what you end up doing about your vent and chimney - It will be interesting to compare notes. I was going to go down the route Neill suggested but when I was talking to the company I am going to buy the flue from they reckon they can custom make a chimney anchor plate. If it's not too expensive this is what I will probably go with. I am looking to post some pics soon as well.
      Also tried some wood fired oven pizza at a place on the Parade called Gusto - it wasn't too bad - my six year old son loved his pizza. I took a good look at the oven as well.

cheers

Salv
      Salv

my wood oven build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...uild-5896.html

Comment

If it's any help, Lobethal sheet metal quoted me $80 to make up a simple stainless anchor plate for the flue (to fit 6 inch). I was thinking about it but unless you make a short brick chimney then fix the anchor plate/spigot to the top, you don't really get the benefit of a wider opening transitioning to the smaller chimney opening which helps create better suction. The guy from Lobethal seemed to think it would work though.
        Last edited by Tim F; 12-15-2008, 04:59 AM.
        My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
        My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

I ended up going with a place in Welland called Air Diffusion Agencies. They charged me $77 to make a stainless 8 inch anchor plate. I also bought a 900 mm length of stainless steel flue from them which is crimped to fit into the anchor plate. Thanks for the info though Tim - at least I know that I am at about the market price.
          A quick question about the flue, which is not double walled. Does anybody know whether this will present major problems. Did most others go with a simple flue or is double walled the norm? I assume the main issue is that it will get very hot.

cheers

Salv
          Salv

Comment

Mine is single walled and yes it gets very hot so you need to warn guests not to touch it. I actually get flames sucked up to the start of the flue!
            My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
            My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

I thought heat might be the issue. If I can work out how to do it I will probably try insulating the area in a similar way to the rest of the dome. I'm sure I saw some builds where this was done just cant remember where.

By the way Tim I had a look at some of the Pizzas you cooked up - they looked fantastic!

Cheers

Salv
              Salv

Comment

Salv,
                if you really want to make it much safer (if it is ever touched when hot) you can get a larger diameter flue and pack some insulation between the two.
                I did that where my flue runs up through the new patio roof. It was done as I want to seal the flue and roof and the neoprene flashing would burn being put up against the hot single 8" flue. I had a 9" flue flue length, I cut around a foot or so off, hammered the ends over, inserted some left over superwool between the two and slid them through the colorbond roof. It still get pretty warm but not (I hope) hot enough to melt the seal.

Neill
                Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                Neill’s kitchen underway
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hi all,
                  I am yet another oven builder from Adelaide. I have sourced most of my materials without any problems up until now. I note that one of the Adelaide builders (Hendo) used Bondek or KingFlor under the hearth. This is the heavy steel permanent formwork that you see used under suspended ferro-cement floors (looks like roofing sheets). This strikes me as a great idea but finding short lengths is impossible. I have rung around the salvage yards with no luck. If anyone knows where I can get some I would appreciate the advice

Thanks

Michael

Comment

Hi all,

Great to have the SA group so active - I appreciate the information and everyone's generosity in sharing information. I am just in the planning stages and being on Kangaroo Island the whole freight deal with heavy stuff is a pain. I have a whole swag of solid clay paving bricks and I think I am going to go with that and then beef up the insulation to try to minimise the cracking. Question - has anyone used dribond high impact fibreglass reinforced render on their WPO? I have used it a lot on masonry repairs and was thinking of using it at least as the outside waterproof layer...

Comment

Hi Capt Kangaroo, and welcome to this great forum.
                      There are around 18 fellow mwmbers in Adealide or surrounding areas.
                      Go for broke with your fired bricks but not if they crumble when broken rather than slitting in two. Russell Jeavons uses these bricks in all his ovens including his 2 in his Willunga Pizza restaurant. He even uses a double layer of 2" clay pavers for his hearth.
                      You need to read his book on brick ovens.
                      Instead of using the same materials as Hendo as a support for his concrete hearth base, use oedinary galv corrogated iron but use a temporary support until the cement sets. We used to use thid before brownbuilt or spandeck was used some 40 years ago in suspended concrete house floors.
                      I can't offer you any advice on the fibreglass, but if you wanted to waterproof your outer dome, I would not use it until you thoroughly dried it before sealing it.

Rastys
                      If you don't succeed the first time, try again and again until you get it right!

Comment

Hi Rastys,

Thanks for the info - I have Richard's book - and the detail on the download from Forno Bravo combine nicely to give more construction tips. Looking forward to having a crack at it! Will keep you informed!

Regards,

Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X