Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: second post, lots of reading

Brevan,
    this is an interesting topic and I currently have access to an engineer (who married my immediate neighbors daughter earlier this year and is currently next door for a week) who works out of Canada for a company who designs and builds blast furnaces all around the world using wholly refractory materials (albeit high temperature).
    I will see if I can get either some specific information from him or get him to source through his company contacts regarding the positive characteristics (and also the negatives) of the differences in oven materials.
    I feel quite strongly about this as many people don't have access to the quite expensive materials in some places to build an oven.
    Refractory manufactures do have a agenda to make sell and profit from their goods - understandable, but these materials have only been available for a relatively short time when compared to the traditional fired clay brick.
    I also realise that clays vary considerably through out the world, we might have the best for brick manufacture, and the US the worst, how it is mixed and fired for the final brick will also vary, but even with today's technology, every fired brick will be much superior coming out of a fully automated processing plant than when they were stacked in large (double garage sized kilns) and fired for 3 days with 4 foot hardwood only 50 years ago.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

currently have access to an engineer (who married my immediate neighbors daughter earlier this year and is currently next door for a week) who works out of Canada for a company who designs and builds blast furnaces all around the world using wholly refractory materials (albeit high temperature).
      A Californian gets information from a Canadian through the helpful intercession of an Australian. Geez, you gotta love this stuff!
      :
      Un amico degli amici.

Comment

There is an interesting experiment here: Measurement of Heat Capacity that I plan to do in the next month. It seems to me that there are 3 points to consider with the red brick vs firebrick though - how much heat they can store (which will be answered through that link, I think), how quickly they conduct heat (this should also be easy to test with a thermometer and heat source) and finally the issue of cracking/spalling, which may be harder to test except anecdotally.

I think the colour of materials in an oven does make a difference by the way, although I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. In one of my food science books I read that different coloured or clear baking pans affect how quickly food cooks on the bottom of the pan.
        My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
        My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

jay,
          did you start your oven yet?
          Im in Mendon, and have been contemplating an oven now for 2 years and counting.
          Curious if you started yet.
          Thanks,
          Ed

Comment

Working...
          X