Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 27th Invitation

Everybody,

As I told James, I'm justifiably famous for doing first things last and last things first. It's probably way too late to mention it, but I'm having a launch party for my bread business, working title: "Mary G's Artisan Breads," on Saturday, May 27th, 2 pm-8 pm, and any forum members are certainly welcome here if they're nearby. Might even be some bread around somewhere; certainly Canadian beer, plus French and Italian wine.

I'm located about 70 kms northeast of Toronto city centre; a bit further from the airport, which is in the northwest.

In any event, wish me luck. Might even have to clean the house, rats.

By the way, my mother's name was Mary GERTRUDE; if I really wanted to get her attention and under her skin, I'd call her Gertie. She passed away two years ago, so it's kind of an honorific.

Now I guess I have to print all those paper invitations I've been meaning to get to. No, maybe I'll paint the door first, or....

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

I'll be there, I'll be there with rings on my fingers and bells on my toes. Add to your list a couple of bottles of California wine - one literally up the road from James.

je, je's wife and of course Kermit (my avatar)

Comment

Chalk Hill Winery?

Patrick,
      Is it Chalk Hill Winery? I should had recommended them. If you are thinking of someone else, take a look at them anyway. They're good -- though a little pricey.

This is off topic, but we're in an interesting spot. We are in one of a few areas that is in two different appellations. We are in both Russian River and Chalk Hill. We grow Pinot Noir, which is excellent in the Russian River valley because of the cool nights and fog, so the wine maker calls it Russian River. But just around the bend in the road, it is a little hotter, and they make good warmer weather wines, like Cabernet Sauvignon. So if we had Cabernet, we would tell everyone were in the Chalk Hill applellation.

The urban legend is that the owner of Chalk Hill Winery is a lawyer, and saw the appellation definitions through the approval process.

Jim, I hope your event is a smash, as your bakery will be.

James
      Last edited by james; 05-18-2006, 02:09 PM.
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Chalk Hill - yep

per your suggestion I went with a bottle of CH - Pinot. Yes the small vineyards are a wee bit pricey but I was assured they are worth the coin. When we were living in Colorado my dad commented that California wine is cheaper in Colo than it is in California. I also picked up a 90 pointer from a small winery in Santa Cruz, A little closer to LA. I don't know of any wineries close to home as most are east of here, Temecula comes to mind.

20 years ago there were still some grape fields in Rancho Cucamonga (East of LA proper). I had an interview with General Dynamics they were in the middle of some of the fields. Lots of bees buzzing about hot smoggy. GD got a bought up by another company and the plant was closed. The fields now have been plowed over for cookie cutter homes - ugly in my book.

We are looking for the trip north as we have 3 virgin passports. The wife wanted to go to Italy for a month, She has a friend that does research in Rome each year and asked Lisie to join her. Unfortunately her grant was scheduled for a time where the wife is still in school. First time in 5 years that that has happened. So it was decided to do a weekender to Toronto. fares are a bit cheaper and most of the population speaks a language that I can understand, eh!

Will have pictures to post when we get back of making/baking and finally SMELLING the delicious bread from Jim's oven!

PS was tempted to bring some Two Buck Chuck - great for marinating

je
        Last edited by jengineer; 05-18-2006, 03:07 PM. Reason: spell cheker - what else?

Comment

Trip Report

Members - WOW if anyone gets an invite to another member's oven demo/celebration I would strongly suggest you take them up on the offer. I will post some pics that I took while we were there on this thread. There may be a few others that I will post on other threads such as Boule babies resting before the fire, a closeup of pointing (nice detail), a handy dandy digital probe for your breads both pre cook and post cook.

This comment from my wife sums it up,
          "I sure wish Jim lived closer, his breads are so hearty"

je

Comment

Originally posted by jengineer
            Members - WOW if anyone gets an invite to another member's oven demo/celebration I would strongly suggest you take them up on the offer.
            Thanks for the open invitation Jim I hope all went well and I look forward to pictures. I wish I could have gone, as I have relatives in Brampton. I even had a Great Aunt Gert in the area, she passed years ago though.

Comment

Working...
            X