Hello from Connecticut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Connecticut

I'm so happy to have found this site. I'm kicking around the idea of building a brick oven for pizza and breads in my back yard. I used to cook professionally, but I've not done this before. My husband is convinced I can't do it which is all the reason I need to plow ahead and try it.

Couple of questions from you experienced types: I have an old fieldstone fireplace in the back yard that was there when we bought the house umpty-upm years ago. It is on a stone slab and has an arched opening. Is it possible to build some type of simple oven inside of this? I want to do something really cheap and simple, maybe even temporary just to get started. Any thoughts, ideas? Thanks!

fireplace

My guess, based on no evidence, is that an outdoor fireplace wouldn't be big enough to support a brick oven. Also, building it inside an existing enclosure like a ship in a bottle would be well nigh impossible. Just as a guideline, a three foot inside dimension brick oven needs a five foot slab to support it and its insulation.

As I say, these are just guesses. Give us pictures and measurements and we will tell you more.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
    X