Aloha!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha!

These pictures show putting on the vermicrete layer, which I did in several layers. I actually did use some perlcrete, which you can see in the color striations on the dome. The larger size layers actually seemed to do a better job insulating although I found it to be more difficult to work with and/or needed more cement mixed into the larger size. I just wanted to try it out since it was cheaper than the vermiculite. I however, did not want to take the risk of using cinders, which would have been the most cost effective. I plan to try an experimental oven of all local rock and see how the results are. I then lit the second curing fire, although first one in a year, which let the fire get up to about 300 or so, although I know that some bricks were very hot including the front arch bricks. Amazingly there was only a hairline fracture on the front in the mortar!!! I have a feeling the extra bit of lime may have cured nicely these past two years it has sit in the damp Puna rainforest. May not be the best for keeping things dry, but perhaps excellent for curing masonry.
    Next I covered the oven with chx wire with metal ties to the rebar extending from the concrete hearth pad underneath and the CMU below. I wanted to make this dome as water resistant as possible so I slapped on a coat of cement and mortars sand. I also looked into some sealants for cements, nearly every one seems to contain petroleum derivatives. In that regards still looking for suggestions...
    Last edited by Sananguero; 06-03-2012, 09:42 AM. Reason: did not attach all pics

Comment

this is how the oven looks now with the cement coat. Not sure if you can make out the detail but the chx wire is still exposed partially. Hopefully this will allow the next coat of mortar for the lava rock finish to grab onto. I had a thought though. Rather than use a petroleum derivative, would adding a natural oil that is saturated and has a high smoke point soak into the masonry and act as a lipid barrier to water? I am considering to try coconut oil to seal in this sand/cement mix coat from water. There were a couple of hot spots after firing the oven for several hours on the outside of the insulation, but overall the insulation felt cool to the touch even when the thermometer was over 600F. Some of the same areas were still warm on the sand/cement coating as well. Overall I am pleased with the insulation however. The first curing fire was done before the insulation was complete and I was able to observe the huge difference in performance between the two. The thermometer seems ok, although it did seem hotter in the oven than the 600 when we baked some pizzas, but then again, we didnt let the heat equalize, we just went for it! We were so hungry we still didnt care, the pizza still tasted great, all of us searching for a fill after cutting woods and moving rocks.

Comment

Nice build. Your pictures are rightside up, sideways, and upside down. Lay off the Maui wowie What island are you on?
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Lol Mahaloz Les ya apologies about the pictures, believe it or not they actually are downloaded right side up on my screen, but have a feeling since they are camera phone pics thats why they turned out that way. FYI the oven is on the Puna/Hilo side of the Big Island.
          Last edited by Sananguero; 06-03-2012, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Hi Brother,

My family is spread out between Maui and Oahu, none on the big island though. For me I am a mainlander in Utah. Nice touch to use local volcanic rock. I am just starting my dome now so it must be great to be at the stage you are at.

Russell
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
            X