daves build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: daves build

Well, like I said, I know nothing about the bag mixes and Les's comment suggests it should harden quickly, but if it had been homebrew, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it were soft only half a day later. I would often rag-wash my mortar (to clean my joints) up to 48 full hours after mortaring, even 72 hours, although I had to rub pretty hard at that point. The homebrew really takes a long time to become "rock-like".

But I just can't speculate in the case of premixes. Maybe someone else will chime in.

At any rate, you can certainly work on top of mortar that hasn't cured to a rock yet. My oven was often hardening several rings below where I was working.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
    Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Originally posted by crwdtb View Post
      Hey les, love your build, awesome!
      I might have to speak to you later on about how you tie the barby into that benchtop!
      Not a prob - just send me a PM.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

OK - maybe it's an issue of humidity. My home brew was hard in less than 24 hours (it will get harder in time, but there was no way I could push my finger into it). I am in the desert with very little humidity. In regard to the purchased mortar. Ref Mix fired on me in minutes from a point of workability -heat stop was not far behind.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

The stuff I have got is refractory mortar bought from brick refractory so it should be the bee's knees! It is a bit harder than I originally thought I might ring the brick refractory, thanks for your replies
          Cheers
          Dave

Comment

I just spoke to brick place , and they assured me that being soft the next day is perfectly normal and more likely if its cold overnight which it was last night , so feeling much better.They also said it can go back to putty like if it rains and will totally harden after first burns.

Comment

getting a bit done its amazing how a few rows doesnt look like much but can take up hours of work!

Comment

Originally posted by crwdtb View Post
                I just spoke to brick place , and they assured me that being soft the next day is perfectly normal and more likely if its cold overnight which it was last night , so feeling much better.They also said it can go back to putty like if it rains and will totally harden after first burns.
                Looks like it is one of those heatset mortars. You shouldnt have any problems with that unless water
                seeps into the dome. Frances and dvonk have used the same type of mortar. It has expansion qualities that cement doesn't have and it doesn't set like cement.
                sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
                Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

thanks raffy liking your build forum, its hardning up well now , I think I was just being inpatient!

Comment

Todays update! Im not even sure if anyone is even reading this but what the hey I will post it anyway maybe someone will get something out of it down the track!
                    I managed to get a bit done today. I tapered bricks leading into chimmney like I saw on this forum, Im not sure if it makes the flow any better? has anyone done the same thing?
                    cheers
                    Dave

Comment

couldnt resist had to go out and finish it, the arch that is! will leave it now and let it cure for a few days while I take a well needed break and up the beer count.
                      Have a good weekend!
                      Chhers
                      Dave

Comment

A question regarding chimmney!
                        Reading through the forno plans it says that the flue should be 3 or 4 times the area of the opening height? does that just mean that if my opening is 30 odd cm that the flue ht should be 90 to 120 cm high? would appreciate any help with this.
                        cheers

Comment

Cant believe I went out last night and pulled the form out from the arch to see if it would support itself! then gave it a shove to see how strong it was! needless to say here is the new arch!

Comment

update , must admit finding joining the dome to the arch a challenge!

Comment

I admit it can be challenging but I guess that's where the fun is... trying to cut the brick to the right shape to make it fit was a fun obsession of mine. You're doing great. Just remember measure twice, do once
                              Last edited by Raffy; 03-29-2010, 04:50 AM.
                              sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                              WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
                              Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

well I managed to work out the inward moving circle with reference to joining up with arch , be it a little unconventional it seems to be holding and strong so , I will move forward!

Comment

Working...
                                X