Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo

looking good!
    I stored the cut clay in a bag and it seems to dry quite well! I have used it to fill small places and the like but used real refractory mortar for the build and have so far had no cracks or problems with it. I cant really comment on the home brand mix as I didnt use it but Im sure it will be fine as others have said. One thing I will say is the whole project has taken alot longer than originally planned but to see the looks on peoples faces as they ate the food tonight it is well worth it! I thought I would fire it once a week , but its turning out to be 3 times a week as the food tastes so much better.Also I originally built it for pizza but have only used it twice for that. I have found it cooks roasts and the like just so well . Enjoying watching your build.
    cheers
    Dave

Comment

You look like you are having fun and that is only the beginning, I have only just caught up on this thread and see you were looking at red bricks. I used second hand red bricks from a fence that was over 90 yrs old and they are working very well. I could not be happier with the way they hold heat for baking the next day and pizzas in 3mins after a 1hr 45 min heat up time.

Picasa Web Albums - rodneyaf - Pizza oven

Comment

Hi Dave ,
        Thanks for that info will see how it goes but reading other threads that have used home brew , they have not had any problems.
        It sounds like your enjoying the fruits of you work,well done.

Hi RodneyF
        Just looked at your photo album and looks very good,I like the deco brick work and arch very nice.Wish I had seen this prior to buying the fire bricks !!!!! ,but saying that i am very pleased with the fire bricks and how easy they are to work with.

regards Gary

Comment

Hey Aussie there is nothing stopping you from putting decorative bricks on the outside and fire bricks on the inside! Thats what I did , although they hopefully will look alot better once I clean them up.

Comment

just an update where I am up to with the build.
            1st photo shows where myoven entrance arch will be.
            2nd photo shows the first 4 courses.
            3rd photo shows how I intend to attempt to tie the arch into the oven.
            I am going to attempt to shape the arch bricks to continue the full circle of each ring rather than tie into the straight edge of arch.
            4th photo shows my indisposable tool .rugged but effective.
            well better get out and start to do the arch will post more photos later

dave ,
            I do intend to continue the brick work up the sides to enclose the oven,but at this stage unsure weather to go verticle with a pitched roof or dome over the top of the oven.plenty of time to worry about that.

regards Gary

Comment

Hey Aussie looking like your really getting into it!
              I didnt do a soldier course on mine and found that on the 4th or 5th course that the actual ring went inside the Arch itself so I had to cut a few bricks using the imagination and this is what I came up with. Not probably the best solution but you never see it and it held strong.Anyway just a thought in case you encounter the same thing.
              Have you thought about staggering the bricks so there isnt a single mortar line running vertically to eliminate the chance of it cracking? Just a thought.
              cheers
              Dave

Comment

hi dave,

sorry so long to answer

been busy trying to get the arch done and tying into the dome.
                finally got there after much cutting and recutting !!!!!!!!!

btw been that keen on the build I didnt take any notice of the joints until you pointed it out,bugger!!!!!! will look a bit harder from now on.

hows your finishing of going,or are you still cooking to much to get time to finish???

regards Gary
                ps will update photos soon.

Comment

Looking good Gary.

This part is a bit of a challenge tieing into the inner arch but you seem to be on track.

Staggering the bricks where possible is a good idea but not always possible in some instances as I found out

What overall height are you aiming for?

Keep up the good work and look forward to your photos.

cheers
                  John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Hi John,
                    thanks for the support.I am aiming for an 18" height but may end up slighltly higher , but not over concerned on this.Main problem is working against gravity and not knocking bricks already laid off.Partly done ring six and nearly need to be a contorsionist ot lay them.not as neat as first 5 rings but as they say , what you dont see wont hurt.
                    I have updated photos of progress,didnt get one before doing ring five to show transition from arch to dome but photo 4 shows the end result .By using a full brick in the arch and sloping it to match the 4th ring of bricks it worked out ok.A bit of tidy up work to be done on the arch underneath where the support frame was and it should come up ok.

regards Gary

Comment

Looking great! I had to do the same kind of tidy on my arch - I smeared refmix or heatstop (can't remember which) and used a thin piece of wood to shove the mix into the crack as much as possible. I leveled it off and came back 3 or 4 hours later and wiped the surface clean. Looked just like anyother joint. After a couple years of use - I have no idea which joints I filled and which I did not.

As far as the contortionist - I think we all have the beauty shot of us on our backs wriggling in through the pie hole.... Mortar in the eyes, filthy dirty from head to toe.... wriggling back out and almost knocking over the latest work. Marvelling at how good it looks in there when you get out.... how I miss those days!

Sounds like you're doing better at keeping your size within design goals than I - mine started as a 36 and ended up as 39 inches!

Christo
                      Last edited by christo; 05-27-2010, 04:31 AM.
                      My oven progress -
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Christo ,
                        amazing what a bit more mortor can achieve.will follow that advise to tidy up the arch entry.

I have just finished reading your whole thread and like everyone else , admire and congratulate you on such great workmanship. I am not going to show the chief bottle washer your build or I may never see light at the end of the tunnel.

regards Gary

Comment

hi all,
                          just a quick update.
                          managed to get the 6th and 7th rings completed after a lot of trying times.
                          ended up making a brick support out of a piece of styrofoam and it worked like a treat.see attached photos.
                          all set for the major milestone , the KEYSTONE.
                          due to photo limits , i have included photos of the proposed keystone on the next post.

regards Gary

Comment

follow up on the keystone photos.
                            by cutting 4 quarter bricks and then joining them to form a pyamid shape ,without the sharp point , i was able to get a very nice fitting keystone.wired up and mortored together , ready to close off tomorrow.
                            will post finished photos tomorrow nite (hopefully)

regards Gary

Comment

YES,YES,YES
                              KEYSTONE fitted like a glove,
                              Great to be finished the dome, Thanks John K for your advise
                              In the end I used a styrofoam support for the last 2 rings.
                              This made the job so much easier, not as smooth as I would have liked
                              but it adds character to my oven, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
                              I was aiming for an 18" dome height but ender up at 18 1/2" height but I can live with that.
                              Now for the oven opening and vent transition (who said the hard part was finnished)
                              Time for a celebration drink on closing the dome.
                              I will keep you posted on the rest of my progress.

regards, Gary

Comment

Nice one Gary - congratulations!
                                My Clay Oven build:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html

Comment

Working...
                                X