Suitable Pressed Reds (photos)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suitable Pressed Reds (photos)?

Cool, they are pressed then. I couldn't turn up anything on them other than some were imported into Australia, and the company also made fire bricks, so it bodes well.

Comment

That's really interesting. Must have been a fair sized company then. Thanks for your help on this. Hopefully get building in the next few weeks and get some pics posted.

Cheers Ross

Comment

Ross,
        If they don't crumble then they're fine.
        I would use those bricks for the build and you might also look for some fired clay pavers, either 4" thick or a double layer of 2" pavers. Russell Jeavons who has a pizza restaurant in one of Adelaide's southern wine areas builds ovens with pressed red bricks and uses a double layer of 2" clay pavers for the hearths.
        Good luck.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

It is the material the bricks are made of that is the most important factor, rather than the temp they are fired to. Just because a brick is harder does not mean that it is more suitable. The method of manufacture of the brick, pressed or wire cut should not make much difference, although most wire cut bricks are full of holes and therefore unsuitable. A firebrick is not vitrified and may be softer than a pressed red, yet is able to withstand greater thermal shock and much higher temps. Clays containing a lot of iron (red) are often unsuitable and have a tendency to melt because of the fluxing effect of the iron,although this will not occur at the lower temps we use. The problem we face is the rapid temp increase and resultant thermal shock. Clays with a high alumina content are more suitable and generally these tend to be lighter in colour. I've seen plenty of fireplaces with red bricks that have spalled, although these are pretty old fireplaces and have no doubt seen way more service than we give our ovens. Therefore, I suspect that the pressed reds are quite suitable for our purposes.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

If I were looking for a cheaper alternative to fire brick my main criteria would be a creamy coloured solid brick.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

london bricks ?
              Why oh Why Did I stumble across this forum- its going to be expensive

Steve

Comment

nice one, thanks for all the help and advice guys. I take it these clay paves are the ones used for driveways? It seems that they are mainly available in big quantities, although, I haven't had a chance to really look into it yet. Nonetheless, I am going to have to spend a little money on the floor as the old bricks i have aren't square enough to make a smooth floor.

Once again, thanks for all the help guys

Comment

Working...
                X