It has begun, finally.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It has begun, finally.

Is regular thinset ok for setting a 8X8 tile on the half block blank sides? Or do I need a special thinset for outdoor applications?
    I think regular thinset will work fine. I tried a bag of the fortified stuff, and I found it hard to work with. It's just extra sticky mortar mix: it should be weather resistant.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

It continues.......

The top slab is poured, the tulips are blooming and the snow is on the ground.

No perlcrete today.

Comment

Here is the perlcrete floor insulation. It is funny stuff, just like everybody says. I found that folding the dry together and then folding gently the water worked well. Here's hoping to a good cure.

Comment

The hearth is finally set, a new roof and a bathroom tile job interupted the progress. If the good weather continues the plan will remain on schedule. I hope the bees do well this year so there will be lots of honey for the honey butter and future wheat bread.

Beautiful 4X4 orange and blue tiles to cover the block ends turned out matching pretty well,

Derk

Comment

Hi Derk,,

Your build is looking great so far.. keep up the good work

Cheers
            Mark

Comment

Another big step, the arch form is as good as it is going to get. I am hoping my mortar joints will make up for the extra space between the top bricks.

I figured go big or go home. The whole neighborhood is now informed of "that thing in your yard". They are all looking foreward to Pizza, little do they know that they are all going to be involved in the after pizza bakes, bring your oven proof overnight dish and we will fill the oven up.

Derk

Comment

Here is my attempt at brickwork. At quite a distance it looks ok.

How do I remove the mortar from the face of the bricks? Or do I live with it?

Comment

You can buy muriatic acid and dilute it 10 to 1 with water to clean the brick or buy a product called Sure Clean 600 and use it at the same dilution. Both work, but the 600 is a tad safer to use. In either case, wear protective clothing including eye, lung, and skin protection.

Comment

Tom,

Do I need to scrub with a wire brush or does it just dissolve the mortar? What is the best practice with the solution?

Comment

It will remove the haze and up to about 1/16th of mortar, above that you will have to wire brush it (for a small application like this, I would get a disposable spray bottle so you can spot apply it to thick areas).

I also would not use either on firebrick unless they were 100% saturated. The brick and everything around it should be thoroughly saturated anyway, to prevent the acid from soaking into the masonry or killing grass, etc. Always use a lot of low pressure water when washing to dilute the acid after use. DO NOT use a pressure washer!

Comment

1. Scape excess and wire brush if necessary
                        2. spray/soak surface with water
                        3. apply solution
                        4. wash off

Is that correct?

Comment

That will work, but it is more work than needed:

1. spray/soak surface with water
                          2. apply solution
                          3. Scape excess and wire brush if necessary
                          3. Repeat 2 and 3 as needed
                          4. wash off
                          5. wash off some more

Comment

The brick is done.

Cleaning is next.

Comment

Sorry, Here are the photos, the structural engineer is at work keeping the mortar moist.

Cleanup is next !

Comment

Looking good! The sweet spot for cleaning in the summer is within 2 days, after that it gets progressively harder to clean.

Comment

Working...
                                X