Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hope I've found this forum in time!

Originally posted by melvynhoare View Post
    That what I did with my oven, it works fine and holds heat for ages, the most pizza I have produced in one evening is 28 over 2 hours.

Regards

Mel
    Hi Mel,

I'm hoping I'll have the same luck! Oops - planned result! 28 pizza's in 2 hours sound great to me, reckon I can only manage 2 though at a push! Did you use loose vermiculite on top of the finished (bricked up obviously) oven ie after the foil and cement/vermiculite oven covering? and how did you cap the top off? I want to put a roof over my and was concerned with the heat and wooden roof?

Thanks for reply

Geoff

Comment

I want to put a roof over my and was concerned with the heat and wooden roof?
      If your oven is well insulated there should be no appreciable heat nearing the 450 needed to char wood. If you're concerned, you can build your roof/sheething with metal studs and cement board.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi Dave,

I just checked out your build and I'm amazed! You must and should be so proud.

From what you say, I should be ok to build the oven, build up the outer sides above the dome, which doesn't touch the oven, fill with loose vermiculite and cap it off with fire board, then construct my roof? Is my thinking correct?

Cheers

Geoff

Comment

Hi Geoff.
          I live in Cardiff, so not far from you?
          My base was designed for barrel oven, but when I found this forum, decided to go for a pompeii, I;ll send you some pics on PM - may be of help?

Nb... general consensus here is not to bother with foil, as it retains moisture...

regards
          Jon

Comment

Geoff,

Yes, your thinking is correct. Take a few minutes and you'll see the construction sequences of builders on this site who wrapped their finished domes with refractory blanket, then covered the blanket with vermicrete. The loose vermiculite is finally used as a void fill between the vermicrete and your cement board walls.

Comment

"If you're concerned, you can build your roof/sheething with metal studs and cement board."

I would also recommend this. Somewhat safer than a wooden enclosure. Be sure to allow for good ventilation to the inside of the enclosure.

Comment

Working...
              X