Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medium vs Fine grade Vermiculite?

Originally posted by Polo View Post
    I am currently curing my oven as well. I went the more traditional "Alan Scott" route and cladded mine with 3+" of concrete for mass. After curing I will add insulation and enclose it. I built it mainly for bread.

I had to look at your location twice. I Live very near Canton too, but the one in Ohio. Go Bucks!, but you might want to keep that quiet as close as you are to Ann Arbor

Polo
    What does Alan Scott recommend as far as cladding for the dome, vermiculite mixed with portland cement and then on top of that concrete? Sounds like you did the reverse, concrete and then insulation. What type of insulation you plan on using?

I have heard others using loose vermiculite as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
      Absolutely not. There are posts (pictures) here with fire in the belly and snow on the roof. Personally, I'm kind of a fair weather guy. I have had snow falling on the pies before I slid them in, wasn't fun. There is no reason you can't use your oven when the dogs are clawing to get inside.

Les...
      Your outdoor kitchen looks awesome. Is your oven door custom built?

Also, what type of stone are your countertops?

Comment

Originally posted by Rolaed View Post
        What does Alan Scott recommend as far as cladding for the dome, vermiculite mixed with portland cement and then on top of that concrete? Sounds like you did the reverse, concrete and then insulation. What type of insulation you plan on using?

I have heard others using loose vermiculite as well.
        The Ovencrafters plans call for a minimum of 2.5" of concrete cladding on the top of the barrel vault for mass, and then insulation on top of that. Many have varied this based on their planned usage for the oven. Adding the concrete adds a lot of thermal mass that is useful for retained heat cooking and baking, but it does require longer firing times and more fuel to attain suitable temperatures. It all depends what you are going to use the oven for.

I plan to insulate the outside of the cladding with an inch of 8# density kaowool blanket under 8 to 10 inches of loose vermiculite. I am enclosing my oven so the vermicrete won't be necessary.

How's the weather up there? We've got some snow this morning.

Polo

Comment

Originally posted by Polo View Post
          The Ovencrafters plans call for a minimum of 2.5" of concrete cladding on the top of the barrel vault for mass, and then insulation on top of that. Many have varied this based on their planned usage for the oven. Adding the concrete adds a lot of thermal mass that is useful for retained heat cooking and baking, but it does require longer firing times and more fuel to attain suitable temperatures. It all depends what you are going to use the oven for.

I plan to insulate the outside of the cladding with an inch of 8# density kaowool blanket under 8 to 10 inches of loose vermiculite. I am enclosing my oven so the vermicrete won't be necessary.

How's the weather up there? We've got some snow this morning.

Polo
          Sounds like you are placing a lot of emphasis on insulation. It is the right thing to do. In my case, I just got done putting 4" wet vermiculite around the dome exterior. Waiting for it to dry. I also plan on having a NG burner inside the oven. Whenever I go to a Italian pizzeria restaurant, there is always a gas burner in back of the oven to keep things hot. Not sure if the burner is used to fire the oven. In my case I will use wood to fire it and the burner to keep things hot once the wood turns to ashes. Maybe in the hot days of summer the burner can fire the oven if I close the door. I will need to experiment.

The ashes are a mess!!

Comment

Working...
          X