Red Bricks and Mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red Bricks and Mortar

"So you tapered tapered bricks? While I've got some tapered ones I plan to halve, I am still undecided whether to cut once or four times per brick. Was it worth the trouble? I like the idea but ...."

The dome curves in two planes so you will need a "beveled taper". Just start in on it. The first 3 or 4 courses you can get by with rectangular bricks. Above that you will soon start to see why you will need the beveled cuts. It's actually easier than it sounds when it's all there in front of you.

I would not cut them ahead of time (except mass cutting into 2/3, 1/2, 1/3). After that cut them as you go. Soak the bricks before cutting to save wear on your masonary blade.

Comment

Red Bricks and Insulation

No luck yet finding firebricks, so I may have to go with red bricks.

If I understand the stuff I've picked up on the forum right (this is a great forum by the way) the red bricks won't be as good with holding the heat. Can I compensate with more insulation? How much more insulation should I plan on? Is double the thickness of the insulation called for in the FB plans a reasonable thing to do?

Hoping for an answer from the collective wisdom that is out there.

Thanks,

Comment

Red bricks will have less tendency to retain heat for baking, but their main problem is that they are not designed to withstand the constant heat cycling, and that they will crack, and spall. Spalling is the chipping off of the surface of the brick. Not a good thing when you have a pizza underneath it. Our Australian friends have had good luck with something they call "pressed reds". I don't quite know what this is because, of course, all bricks are made by pressing clay into moulds. I suspect that they are bricks fired at a higher temperature, what the English call engineering bricks, with a more glossy, rather than chalky, surface.

When you're looking for bricks, you have to go for ones without holes, of course, and that limits you right off the bat. In the states there is usually only one no-hole red brick available, which is made for paving patios and such.

Once you have your bricks chosen, you have to figure out what mortar is going to work with it in a high-heat situation. If you can't get firebrick, you probably can't get refractory mortar or fireclay.

It was said of the Phillipines that they spent five hundred years in a convent and fifty years in Hollywood, refering to the Spanish and American occupations. That American influence must have had some effect on your industrial infrastructure. Have you talked to people who use refractory products? Potters? Glassblowers? Furnace and boiler repairmen? I can't imagine an entire modern nation without refractories.

But if not, take heart. People made ovens and bread for milleniums before the invention of modern refractories. People have made workable ovens with mud and straw. Good luck with your project. Keep us informed.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

hi Iam Dave
          and new to this forum but sounds like I about the same spot, which bricks? I'm in Brisbane so our local maker of Fire Bricks is Claypave located in Dimore (just short of Ipswich) they supply down into Nthn NSW. E-mail claypave@claypave.com Ph 07 3282144
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
          X