X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John French
    replied
    Re: Oven Build 900mm - NZ

Still using bricks, i expect to buy some more in due course. Cuuently upto the top of the inner arch.

Leave a comment:

• kriso
    replied

Bart
    Thanks mate,
    have the full bug and need to progress, already have the insulation floor down, my dad has built two in Aust with clay from the back yard there, not sure if there is much clay around Rotorua. must be some somewhere.
    Look forward to seeing the link.
    Cheers
    Kris

Leave a comment:

• wemme
    replied

Hey Kris. My old mans already put dibbs on my left overs as he is building an oven after mine. see how mine goes first... besides these are not the greatest and wouldn't think they would travel well also at about 3 to 4 kg each I think it would cost a heap to send up to you... I'm just sending you this from my phone but will send you a link to a book that tells you how to make an oven some brick for the base but the rest From clay
    Regards
    Bart

Leave a comment:

• kriso
    replied

Bart

Do you have any of your fire bricks left over and if can I buy some off you.

Cheers

Kris

Leave a comment:

• John French
    replied

Originally posted by wemme View Post
    Hey John, I'm also using the bricks from Canterbury clay bricks. I'm still curious how well these will preform. did you have some crumbly ones?
    Regards
    Bart
    Hi Bart
    i think all firebricks are pretty brittle and crumbly. However, the ones i am reluctant to use are those with significant cracks running through the brick. I worry that these will fail in the oven lead to lack of structural integrity.

Leave a comment:

• wemme
    replied

Hey John, I'm also using the bricks from Canterbury clay bricks. I'm still curious how well these will preform. did you have some crumbly ones?
    Regards
    Bart

Leave a comment:

• John French
    replied

I bough firebricks - these are expensive in NZ but given the overall cost and effort going into the project i decided not to risk using bricks which will spall in the extreme heat of the oven.Not sure of suppliers in the North Island but they may be cheaper than in Soutn Island. Cheapest quote in Chch was about $5 per brick, although I did a deal with the supplier @ $4-50. Still a lot when using c 200 bricks

Leave a comment:

• wemme
    replied

I'm just going to start straight into the dome.
    Picked up hydrated lime from Place makers.
    Just need to organise a diamond blade and can start.
    Regards
    Bart
    Last edited by wemme; 11-23-2010, 01:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kriso
    replied

Thanks John
    I have just received a email from Brickie in Oz who informed me that the clay bricks that I have will not last at all. I am going to go to get some clay pavers tomorrow. Have you used these and do you think they will work.
    Cheers
    Kriso

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

I laid clay pavers as a first course skirt in my oven and they seem to be standing up to the heat, the only thing that has cracked in my oven is the fire brick tiles I used for the oven floor..?

Search for "Johnny the oven man" on this forum, he knows all his stuff and is here in Melbourne.

Maybe you could do a castable oven as I did, it might be cheaper?

Leave a comment:

• John French
    replied

Originally posted by kriso View Post
    Hi there all
    Can anyone give me an answer to what the reason is behind the soldier course or first corse.
    I have attached some pic of the options I am pondering.
    I have just laid the floor tiles. The bricks I am using go outside the floor tiles and thus the first corse of brick is only 50mm. Should I lay the first course on its side to give it extra height. Should I lay a second layer straight up which will give a vertical of 125mm or just start the curve from the 50mm.
    Cheers Kris
    It is to gve hieght and hence workable space. However, some avdvocate not using soldier coursse but go striaght nto half bricks on the bases. I choseto go the cut down soldier route with a 22deg angle cut across the top. This ave hieght aand a traditional profile but a go head sart in terms of angling the next courses of the dome

Leave a comment:

• kriso
    replied

Thanks brickie in Oz
    I am glad that I did not lay the first corse today. I was tempted to but thought that it could wait till tomorrow. It sucks that they are no good as bricks here in Rotorua are hard to come by, fire bricks are $7 each. I found some clay pavers would these do the job????
    Cheers

Kriso

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by kriso View Post
    Hi there all
    Can anyone give me an answer to what the reason is behind the soldier course or first corse.
    Its to achieve some height before the dome starts.

Also, your black house bricks wont last 5 minutes in a pizza oven, Ive laid similar on houses and they are rubbish.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 11-22-2010, 11:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kriso
    replied

Hi there all
    I have attached some pic of the options I am pondering.
    I have just laid the floor tiles. The bricks I am using go outside the floor tiles and thus the first corse of brick is only 50mm. Should I lay the first course on its side to give it extra height. Should I lay a second layer straight up which will give a vertical of 125mm or just start the curve from the 50mm.
    Cheers Kris

Leave a comment:

• wemme
    replied

That's looking pretty smart Kris,
    cheers for all the lime info guys.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X