Re: Using Steel Plate for dome

A new thread is a good idea.

I will take photos and post them on a new thread

Comment

(The Romans did have steel.)

Comment

Forming a dome out of brick is a lot easier than out of steal, even today. I think the reason these ovens have been made from refractory materials as opposed to steal is for than one reason. Maybe not for those of you that have a metal forming shop in our backyard. But for the DIYers brick is a doable project. Steal is something for the skilled craftsman with a lot of tools. I see nothing wrong with steal, ovens have been manufactured for ages. So feel free to venture out on your own.

This forum primarily exists to discuss WFOs and characterize them through the experience of others. Steel framed, even subtle differences are discussed here at length. Not sure how much the knowledge base applies to the steel oven. The best way to understand your oven is to use it. You will find the cold and hot-spots and start to understand the heat management issues the more and more you use it. If you plan to manufacture 1000s of these ovens, then some sort of finite element analysis may be in order. Which I don't believe has been done. Would love to see that with empirical data. Feel free and share it with us. Don't forget to make some pizza.
        Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

I have pushed my (brick) oven to 1400 F.

Some steels start to lose their strength at temperatures as low as 450 F. Ordinary steel re-bar starts to lose strength at about 600 F. Other types of steel are good for somewhat higher temperatures, but, generally speaking, steel is not designed for high temperature applications.

If you insist on using metal, cast iron is a better bet.
          Last edited by Neil2; 12-31-2010, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X