X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: A newbie?s survey of the Forno Bravo treasures hiding in the archives

newbies use these treasures to help you with your builds. A wealth of info and experienceawait you.

UtahBeehiver

Leave a comment:

• winnsb
    replied

I must have missled everyone, I am building a Casa 2G 90 not a Pompeii Oven. We are really excited the oven just arrived only one week from the order, way to go Forno Bravo. We will enclose the oven in a water proof structure. After I learn how to post pics of our build out I will get them on right away.
    Last edited by winnsb; 04-23-2012, 11:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by winnsb View Post
    Hello after doing the typical routine with home owners association and buliding inspector we are ready to start the Casa cg90 project. We are on the Washington coast and plan to build a water tight structure covering the oven. Can we cure the oven inside the structure, we might have a problem finding a long dry window?
    You will have to do the best you can. Call fornobravo for clarification (I'm assuming you mean a Casa 2g90 oven), I'm sure they have the experience you need.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Lburou; 04-23-2012, 05:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• winnsb
    replied

Hello after doing the typical routine with home owners association and buliding inspector we are ready to start the Casa cg90 project. We are on the Washington coast and plan to build a water tight stucture covering the oven. Can we cure the oven inside the structure, we might have a problem finding a long dry window?

Leave a comment:

• welshb2
    replied

Thank you all for the help and giving the empowerment to carry on!
    Welshb2

Leave a comment:

• azpizzanut
    replied

Hi All,

Yep, Craigslist is very useful for finding materials. Something to watch for is that very few sellers know fire brick from beach sand. I answered several ads for "fire brick" that was nothing more than concrete pavers or regular clay building brick. The sellers said they were left over from building a fireplace "so they must be fire bricks....aren't they" ? LOL

Be careful and persistent, eventually your search will pay off with a nice find.

Cheers,

Leave a comment:

• garch
    replied

Thank you for this "Treasure" link--a ton of useful info in one post

Leave a comment:

• Santino
    replied

I've been a craigslist junkie for the past several months getting all of my cinderblocks and regular bricks for free and all of my firebricks for $.50/each. The thing is, it's been TONS of work having to remove old mortar from these used items. I'm getting some of my refractory mortar for free from leftovers from a neighbor's job and got an AWESOME deal for a brand new 36" Dura-Vent chimney pipe for $50....................and I'm still gonna be pushing $800 for my oven. Most people would probably think that's pretty cheap. If you aren't prepared to spend this you should start looking at a cob oven.

PS - The cob oven was my original plan until I found this website. Then I realized that even though it would cost less than $100, I'd have to do practically the same amount of work and have my oven fall apart in a couple years. Thanks for breaking the bank Forno Bravo!

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Download the free plans eBooks & CD ROMs :: Forno Bravo Store it has all the materials listed.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Jascob
    ahh
    I am planning on not making it fancy and just functional.
    To make it functional you need lots of insulation, thats around $200 gone already.

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

Pretty difficult to get it under that amount.. lots of bargain hunting on Craiglist is ahead if you want a true pompeii.

You need to read this whole thread... link in the first post is for FREE plans.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied
    Don't overlook the eBooks at Forno Bravo's Store

The section of the Fornobravo store containing eBooks and Cd's has some good information you'll need to get on with your building project, or start making and cooking better pizza and breads. They are FREE: To get the free eBooks, proceed to the checkout, then download them.

P.S. You can make a donation to the Christopher Reeve Foundation for some of these eBooks if that is your wish
    Last edited by Lburou; 01-04-2013, 08:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied
    If I had a 'do-over' ......

One of the more challenging phases of the pompeii oven build is the transition from the oven dome to the arch opening for the oven landing.

GianniFocaccia, KarangiDude & Sharkey, (and possibly others I haven't seen), have employed a simple and clean way to make the transition a lot easier. They have angled the cut on the dome side of their inner arch bricks.

Karangi Dude's inner arch:

GianniFocaccia's inner arch:

Also in Sharkey's inner arch.
    Last edited by Lburou; 09-04-2013, 07:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied
    More great builds and Concrete Polishing by Neil2

Originally posted by topcrop View Post
    Thanks for the post! I'm such a noob that I'm not even sure what a pompei oven is yet!

I think I like the house-type ovens a bit better than the igloo-type ones, but as long as I can make a pizza, I'll be happy!

ps - I like the ovens that Christo has as his sig, and Dino Pizza has as his avatar. If anyone can tell me which type they are I'd appreciate it. I haven't been hre long enough to find any others, but I'm looking.
    topcrop

A pompeii oven built and finished in the shape of an igloo is usually referred to as an 'igloo' oven. The same oven enclosed in some kind of rectangular or circular shape is 'enclosed'. The ovens are the same, the external encasements are different, and the insulation application also differs between the two.

You will find Dino's oven described here.
    You will find Christo's oven described here.
    Last edited by Lburou; 07-09-2013, 06:27 AM. Reason: Added concrete polishing link

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Both Christo and Dino's fine WFO cooking systems are classic enclosed Pompeii-style ovens. What gives each of these ovens their finesse are solid build quality and individual style on the enclosures.

You would do well to download the free oven plans from the FB site and read through them as well as a dozen or so full-build threads here. You may not become obsessed with the minutiae that surrounds every element of building and cooking in a WFO, but then again there is a good chance you might.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X