Re: A newbie?s survey of the Forno Bravo treasures hiding in the archives

Time to bump
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Bumper time
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

October bump ... time to start thinking Turkey, Ham, & Prime Rib friend/family dinners!
        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Keep in mind that the planning stage of your build is more important than you think. Take your time.
          Wise words for sure. Planning takes time. Tearing down and rebuilding takes more.

Comment

Lee,

There is probably a better place to ask you this question... for some reason I couldn't find your build thread (only your album).

How hot does the granite under your vent get? I am debating on doing something similar, but not sure about surface temps.

Thanks,

John

Comment

John, If memory serves, the granite gets up to 200-230 F, no spalling yet. We can fry bacon in a cast iron pan the day after pizza with pan half on oven floor and half on the granite. I didn't make a build thread, just the albums. HTH
              Last edited by Lburou; 10-14-2014, 08:22 PM.
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Lee, Another Great build was K79 or on you tube the wicked outdoors

Comment

Just an FYI on turkey oven fitting (through the entry). Got a 21.7 pound (9.8 KG) turkey on Saturday sale at Costco after Thanksgiving. Turkey on the rack, in a roaster pan is only about 9.25" (23.5 cm) high ... just an FYI, so you don't have to take a ruler into the grocery store

...and also the December bump for this thread
                  Roseburg, Oregon

Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile

Comment

G'day
                    Monthly bump..... Check out the links at the front of this thread
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

by monthly bump
                      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by owensrj1 View Post
                        Lee, Another Great build was K79 or on you tube the wicked outdoors
                        Thanks....It is an excellent build for sure. You can see his youtube video here. K79's build thread is here.

I didn't put that oven on the list because of the extra mass in the first three courses of the dome. The list does not come close to listing all the best builds, just some of the best that took pains to stick to the plans and did a good job of showing how they did it. The one exception to sticking to the plans is the recent evolution of heat brakes. Thanks for your participation here in this thread! :-)
                        Last edited by Lburou; 03-02-2015, 01:11 PM.
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

March bump for this awesome thread...thanks again for setting this up Lee!

As a thought to other traveling bread bakers...I started making up bread kits for when I'm on road trips. A la Jim Lahey's method, I pack my 5 quart dutch oven, a cooling rack, and various helpful baker tools (bowl scraper, folding scale, etc.) in the car along with several zip lock bags, each bag packed with a single bread loaf's ingredients minus the water.

When I'm at my destination (or whenever I have access to an oven), I add water to the bread kit, mix & overnight it as per no-knead methods, throw the fully fermented dough into the preheated pot & voila - great bread away from home! I also started packing a quarter sheet, EVOO, and focaccia kits which go over quite well away from home when you're looking for that kind of special treat as meal side or hearty appetizer.

Although I miss my WFO while on the road, these options help get me through it...
                          Last edited by SableSprings; 03-02-2015, 11:04 AM.
                          Roseburg, Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by SableSprings View Post
                            ...I started making up bread kits for when I'm on road trips. A la Jim Lahey's method, I pack my 5 quart dutch oven, a cooling rack, and various helpful baker tools (bowl scraper, folding scale, etc.) in the car along with several zip lock bags, each bag packed with a single bread loaf's ingredients minus the water.

When I'm at my destination (or whenever I have access to an oven), I add water to the bread kit, mix & overnight it as per no-knead methods, throw the fully fermented dough into the preheated pot & voila - great bread away from home! I also started packing a quarter sheet, EVOO, and focaccia kits which go over quite well away from home when you're looking for that kind of special treat as meal side or hearty appetizer.

Although I miss my WFO while on the road, these options help get me through it...
                            We too have discovered no knead bread. Still experimenting. The basic recipe is hard to beat! Unfortunately, enjoying this bread comes with a swelling of the waistline. ;-)

Here is the recipe. Enjoyed making it with my grandson over the holidays. I use parchment paper to cradle the dough as I place it into the preheated dutch oven and pour a bit of water in to keep humidity up during baking.
                            Lee B.
                            DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Thanks for the recipe and tips, Lee. Much appreciated.
                              My Build:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Lee --Thanks for putting in the link to the New York Times article of Lahey's bread. I thought it also might be fun/useful to post some variations on the original formula for Lahey's no-knead "Pot Bread". My spreadsheet/pdf version gives you weights in both ounces and grams as well as adds in a 1.5% bump to make up for dough lost in the process. You'll note the baker's percentages are included for the breads as well. The first pdf file is for a slight variation on the original, the second uses a sourdough and rye component, and the third uses both a poolish and levain during the overnight fermentation. I've had good luck with all three versions but the original is certainly the easiest and the third is the best ( IMHO )
                                Attached Files
                                Roseburg, Oregon

Comment

Working...
                                X