finally finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: finally finished

thx taxin , I just cant believe still, that I did it!

Comment

It's not the moisture in the air or the leaking of water inside the frame. The issue is the concrete will wick the moisture to the pine and after a while rot out the wood. Treated should always be used against the concrete or a moisture barrier placed. It looks like you just nailed down the frame to the concrete It won't take much to pry the entire unit up as one piece. Then I would use a vinyl flashing material underneath. Really an easy fix at this point. Then just re-fasten it down.

Comment

If I go to the trouble of prying the whole thing up I might as well scrap it.
        How long will it take to rot?
        Im not a happy camper at this point in time i can tell you!

Comment

How long will it take to rot?
          Try the outdoor kitchen construction forum at Welcome to the Barbecue Source Your online Barbecuing and Grilling Source

Comment

True it wicks from moisture in the concrete and good building practice calls for treated and it will rot and it will take time not going to rot overnight though it will take years depending on moisture and if ther is a vapor barrier under the existing slab humidity etc...
            Last edited by Taxin; 03-03-2011, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Ok its done!
              So do I need a protective barrier for treated pine or can I just put it straight down?

Comment

yes or both LOL I am at my shop chomping at the bit waiting for my modular oven to be delivered

Comment

If I dont need to put anything down I wont , but if I do what is it I put down , plastic?

Comment

Straight down is fine but a moisture barrier would be better vinyl would be best , be sure to use the proper nails that go into the pressure treated pine. A good galvanized will do or a coated screw.

I say vinyl is best because here in the states they changed the pressure treated pine. Some of it is for above ground use and some for direct dirt contact. Both on the other hand do have some corrosive properties when it comes in contact with some metals.

Sorry to see you did the dreaded Re-do. But if it sets your mind free from worry then it was for the best.

Comment

thanks for the heads up, I hate ripping stuff up but I wont get any sleep if I left it as it was. Sometimes it is easier to tell yourself you stuffed it and to start again, I guess that is how you learn, trial and ERROR! and thanks to all who posted so nicely saying change it without actually saying it. Standby for 2nd instalment.

Comment

Now you know you are right good luck gotta go unload my new modular will have pictures coming

Comment

A suggestion...

Lift each section up and put piece of pressure treated wood in underneath....The counter height will be 1.5 inches higher, thats all. If you nailed it down, use a sawsall and cut the nails. When you are done, use a ramset to nail it down again. Big mistake, not a big correction.
                          Lee B.
                          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

It is common for outdoor kitchen builders to place Trex, a wood and plastic composite, made primarily from equal parts reclaimed hardwood sawdust and reclaimed/recycled polyethylene plastic between their framework and concrete slab.

Comment

Originally posted by crwdtb View Post
                              Sometimes it is easier to tell yourself you stuffed it and to start again, I guess that is how you learn, trial and ERROR!
                              Hey yours was just a cuppla sticks, mine is a complete oven redo....
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

don't use a metal flashing under the treated.. it will rot aluminum in a heartbeat. the vinyl should work, or even a scrap piece of roofing felt. Faith is right... be very choosy in what you use for fasteners, treated lumber can be very corrosive

Comment

Working...
                                X