finally finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: finally finished

While it is not absolutely necessary to separate treated lumber from the ground (or masonry) it is still a very good idea to use a barrier of some sort. Almost any non-metallic material can be used - heavy polyethylene film, vinyl, house wrap paper, roofing felt, rubber roofing membrane, etc. - as long as it acts as an effective water and vapor barrier and will not rot. These materials will extend the life of the treated lumber.

It is very important to prevent water from entering the structure and getting in between the lumber and the barrier where it will be held and will not easily evaporate.

Good luck!

Comment

Ok bit of an update, re did the the framing in treated pine and feel better for it!
      managed to get a few bricks down and am starting to think more about the concrete top now. Has anyone polished concrete they have mixed themselves?
      I was told you are far better off getting a batch delivered, as mixing it yourself you usually always make it to wet. then it doesnt harden properly and you go through a heap of diamond grinder pads polishing it? Any ideas?
      Cheers

Comment

concrete grinding by Neil2

Originally posted by crwdtb View Post
        ...snip...Has anyone polished concrete they have mixed themselves?
        ...snip... then it doesnt harden properly and you go through a heap of diamond grinder pads polishing it? Any ideas?
        Cheers
        Neil2 posted here about the way he did his concrete grinding to a high standard.
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I've done a lot of concrete counter tops over the last year. Kind of had to, to keep up with industry. Anyway, if you want a basic polished product the easiest way to go is get Sakrete 5000+ 80lb bag mix, Sakrete has nicer aggregate, and more portland than the similar Quikcrete product. This is the best product i have used for polished concrete. you'll also want to search the web for a product called CounterFlo, this is a water reducing agent that will help the concrete flow into the form and reduce air bubbles. Additionally renting a mixer and a concrete vibrator will help big time in getting a consistent mix. my best bag mixes are as follows:

2 80lb sacs of Sakcrete 5000+
          8 oz counterflow
          12 to 14 quarts warm water
          dry color to taste, always use iron oxide based colors not carbon based.

Mix for 5 minutes to activate counterflo.

Vibrate each batch of concrete in before you mix the next.

Trowel surface smooth, but dont worry about over doing it, the polishing will make it nice.

Pop forms 24hrs after pour, and polish within 48 hrs.

A polishing kit like this will finish about 200 square feet of concrete before you need to buy any new pads.

a little of my work......

The Fountain and Table are Buddy Rhodes pressed concrete technique and the Kitchen and Bar are honed and polished sakrete 5000+ as described above.
          Last edited by Nic The Landscaper; 03-23-2011, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Hey nic thanks so much for the post, great looking work you have done there.Very impressive indeed. That info really helped me out cheers.

Comment

Beautiful design and execution. But where's the WFO?
              Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

wasnt sure if you were asking me or nic the landscaper but mine is right next to the new project

Comment

crw, yes sorry I was referring to Nic's photos but yours looks great also.
                  Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

The one with the radius end bar, I couldn't convince the client he needed a wfo to really finish that space off. Unfortunately you cant win them all over. The other project is actually an install I did for one of the Portland Garden shows this year. Everything in that display actually came apart into pieces that I could move and install with a forklift, and strictly due to the fact that everything had to be cheap, mobile, made for an indoor display, and non functional the wfo oven was edited out.

Comment

Looking good there CRWDB coming right along

Comment

Well I was voted down by the missus when it came to the concrete benchtop in the end.However I can see that the wood does go well with the pool decking.
                        Anyway I have cold beer chilling in there now and thats all that matters I guess.
                        CHEERS

Comment

What kind of timber is that?
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Merbau decking wood. with a stain on it.
                            I have it around the pool and restain it maybe once every 2 yrs or so.
                            Its a hardwood that seems to wear quite well outside

Comment

Looks great! Did you seal the counters?
                              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                              My oven build thread

Comment

No I didn't put any specific sealant on it as The wood its self should wear quite well on its own. It probably will pick up a few wine stains along the way but hey all part of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X