My oven Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My oven Plans

Ok, I have been looking at making an oven for over a year now, Problem I have with doing it, is that my house is a "fixerupper," and I am far away from deciding where I would permanently build such a thing. Not to mention I may move out someday.

So I saw in the Forno Bravo store a pre-made pizza oven on a stand that cost around $2000 bucks. After deciding that that was the way to go for me, I came to the conclusion that I won't be able to afford that for a long while.

I am a chef, and I really can get this out of my head, so I was thinking of getting a friend to weld me a a stand on casters then, I could build my oven on that. It would still be smaller than all the ones in the free FB plans, but I think it could compare to the one sold in the FB store. So here is my sketch of my plans. I would love input from you guys as to what you think....
    Attached Files

Re: My oven Plans

The biggest issue I see is the opening. In my opinion a 20" opening in a 30" oven is really pushing it. If the goal is to cook 16 or 18 inch pizzas you are gonna be out of luck regardless. With the fire in the oven you barely have room for a 12" pie with a 30" oven. And yes, I have a 30" oven.

Comment

I thought about the opening too, I'll go down to 16 inches.

I am only wanting to make 12 inch pies, loaves of bread and roast meats.

Not all at once of course!

Comment

a 30" internal oven wont fit on a 36" base. If your working with half bricks (which is the standard) that's 4.5" of brick per side, so 30" + 4.5" + 4.5" = 39" total outside diameter. and that doesn't take into consideration any insulating or finishing materials.

Comment

well, I was thinking that would be my external diameter, before adding the insulfrax and vemiculite. Now that I read the instructions a little more, the outer shell would easily add 4 inches. Not sure if these plans will work...... If I reduce my internal oven diameter to a 19 inch floor, is it still worth it? Yet, the oven Forno Bravo sells has an external width of 38 and an internal width of 24 inches

Comment

Forno's ovens are cast which allows them to create a internal shell that is 2.5" thick vs. the 4.5" shell we build with fire brick. Your best bet from what I can extrapolate might be to buy an unfinished kit oven like the Giardino60 and finish it yourself. The primavera60 which is the oven I think you were referencing uses the Giardino kit for it's guts.

In terms of money, the giardino kit includes everything you'll need for about the same amount of money you'll spend building a pompeii oven of the same size so I would strongly consider it if I were you.

Comment

If I reduce my internal oven diameter to a 19 inch floor, is it still worth it?
              No, in my opinion. With all due respect to James and his little oven, working in that small a space is a PITA.

If you aren't committed to staying where you are, throw together something with used materials and sand/fireclay mortar. Get used to cooking with a wood fired oven, and when you're ready to commit, you'll have a lot better idea of what your want you permanent oven to be.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Okay, I am reviving my thread here. Getting closer to pulling the trigger on a Giardino60, I am on a budget for this, and need to build my stand. I have seen a lot of pictures of oven's built on stands with casters. This is ideal for me for many reasons.

I even saw a few built out of wood. - I know this isn't ideal, but I would love to hear thoughts on a wood built stand with a structural concrete top.

The alternative for me is to have a metal frame welded, still using the concrete on the top.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Take a picture of the metal frame you want to a metal fabricator and he can make it easily.

You will find pictures in the fornobravo store.
                  Lee B.
                  DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Well, I contacted a neighbor who welds professionally who said he'd make the stand for 200$, looks like my plans are coming together.

So do you guys think a 36x36x36 is going to give me enough base for the Giardino60 after the final stucco and everything is added?

Comment

Originally posted by horrocks007 View Post
                      Well, I contacted a neighbor who welds professionally who said he'd make the stand for 200$, looks like my plans are coming together.

So do you guys think a 36x36x36 is going to give me enough base for the Giardino60 after the final stucco and everything is added?
                      The FB.com stand for the Giardino60 is 39 X 47 X 39inches....That would be the most logical size. Call Hiedi at FB.com and ask her, she'll know.
                      Lee B.
                      DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Okay, I called FornoBravo today, and we figured out that a 38x38inch base for the stand would suffice. The only thing she could not answer is weather or not a 1/4" steel constructed/welded stand would be strong enough to support my oven. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by horrocks007 View Post
                          Okay, I called FornoBravo today, and we figured out that a 38x38inch base for the stand would suffice. The only thing she could not answer is weather or not a 1/4" steel constructed/welded stand would be strong enough to support my oven. Any thoughts?
                          I would say yes. Your fabricator will have an idea of the strength of the steel, ask him.
                          Lee B.
                          DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Still mulling my plans over here. Been in touch with customer service at Fornobravo. Seems that a 38 wide by 38 deep stand is sufficient for the Giardano 60 oven. I downloaded the installation instructions and noted that they specify a 37 inch wide by 41.5 in deep. This is because their plans have a 6 inch "oven landing." I am assuming that this is a 6 in space to give room to build a arch, or to have some space in front. I am not planning on doing an arch, nor do I think I need any space in front of the oven. Does anyone see a need for this, or am I missing something?

Also, turns out that angle iron is sold in 48 inch lengths, so I was thinking maybe I should just get the Giardano 70 oven for 200$ more and build the stand 42 wide and 42 deep. Any thoughts on this? seems like the 4 extra inches is not that big of a deal space-wise, and I would love to cook bigger pizzas, say a 12-14 incher would be better. Thoughts? Is it worth it to get the bigger oven?

Comment

Updated plans. Getting closer to ordering the Giardano 60, trying to find cheap deals on angle iron. Might check out a scrap-yard.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X