sizing help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sizing help needed

I will be adding on a bluestone shelf about 16''-20'' deep and 30'' wide that i can use to hold the entry arch if needed(which it probably will). I found some mantel hangers and I will be welding up some angle iron to help hold the weigh of the stone.

Comment

I went to the brick place got prices on the brick and mortar. This week I hope to have my buddy pick them up in his truck. I have the barrel jig cut, and the entry jig cut.
      The only thing I am kind of stuck on is chimney size, I think 6'' will be fine.
      Once I get the brick and can lay the floor out then ill have it all gel in my head.
      I cant wait to see your stand.
      I also had to go and pick up a new lp stove and build a stand for it to sit on also started making the solar air heaters we will be using to supplement the LP. Its been hot and busy. But I cant wait for the oven to begin.

Comment

Update: finally got the firebrick, my buddy with the truck was out of town. We unloaded 125 firebrick yesterday and I cut the herringbone pattern for the floor. Will post more pics once I get more done.

Comment

Where's the picture?

Comment

Im kind of hitting a wall in my head on the dome height.
            my floor width is 27.5. does that mean that my dome Inner height will be 13.75, which is 1/2 the width, or does it need to be higher,
            13.75 that gives me a golden ratio door of 9'' that seems snug. Is there a ratio for the dome height i guess I am asking.

Comment

It will be helpful for you to see what i have done atm.
              picture 1. shows the herringbone pattern of the floor.

picture 2. shows the front, loading view of oven

picture 3. shows the side view of barrel vault.

picture 4 shows an arch that is 13.75'' high.

Comment

picture 5. shows one arch that is 17'' high

not sure on the size of the arch.

Comment

Hi
                  My 42 in pompeii has a door height of 320mm (12 3/4 in) and width of 490mm
                  (19 1/2 in) its a square entrance with a angle iron lintel and trust me Ive not got a tray or baking pan anywhere near that size.
                  My friend has a barrel oven that has a 9 1/2 in opening and he doesnt know any difference so he just uses it and everyone enjoys his food.
                  I can see any reason why you cant squeeze another 2 ins in roof hieght to gain another 1 in to give you 10 ins. A 36 in pompei with a low dome has a door hieght of 10 ins and width of 18 ins.
                  One thing to think of is not to make anything outside the oven opening to narrow, keep the entrance/chimney area real wide for ease of access to the oven.

Regards Dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thank you both, also a big thanks to tscarborough for his help on cutting the arch take off bricks.
                    I was thinking that the height was a "function" of the arch, in otherwords to go up you made your arch taller, but I understand now that if I raise the sides, keep the smooth 13'' arch shape I can still go with the 17'' height. The door is going to be about 16'' wide.
                    What is also not in the pictures is the landing that will be out of bluestone and it will hold the chimney and front arch. also the two small wedge shaped bricks were just there for me to visualize where the inner arch would start.

Comment

figured out the dome and the final inside sizes.
                      it will be 23 wide by 40 long by 17high. the inner door arch will be 21 wide by 10 3/4-11 high. (17x63%=10.71~11)
                      Was able to get this done before the rain, and my 2 yo took a spill running in the yard.

Picture 1:The arch I will be going with

Picture 2: The templates cut, the bottom is also cut off so that I can wedge/shim them and build on them with 2x4 in between them.

Picture 3:Side view of lay out

Picture 4: new front lay out, basically moved all the bricks in a half a brick.

Last edited by Forgeblast; 08-07-2011, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Everything looks good so far, just make sure you have a plan to support the outward force that vault will put on walls. I'd also switch to a running bond for the vault, it will be much stronger then the stacked bond you've used to this point.

Comment

Thank you shuboyje, didnt notice that I had it that way Its in my notes to fix.
                          I am hoping that the outward force will be held in check by the outer row of bricks. If I have enough I am planning on doing a double arch. (Like tscarborough's oven).

Comment

day one of mortaring, it was amazing watching the arch hold, 7 years of planning and preparing are coming together.

Comment

Yes they are the standard firebrick 9x4 1/2 x 2 1/2. I went out today to check and very solid. Was getting my cut list togther for cutting the side of the roof arch when it started pouring. The form really helped but once they were mortared I took the form out to clean up the inside. It hasnt moved since I placed the bricks.
                              The front arch is 1/2 bricks so that I could make the transition smoother.
                              Pizza Anarchy I did a lot of planning from his oven great site too.

Comment

Between rain and more rain I was able to get this far. And since its raining this morning I can post some pics.
                                picture one shows the corbels and the shelf of bluestone that I will be using.
                                I put them into the concrete slab with 2'' masonary screws and a 3500psi epoxi.
                                The corbels and bluestone are also held in place with landscape block adhesive.

Picture two shows most of the oven done.

Picture three shows the layout. I need to make the front arch and then the chimney transition. Since I have the chimney guy coming today to hook up our stove for the winter I will ask him his advice.

My next question is what type of cladding. Is it portland/perlite again, or do I have to put an insulation down. first and then cover it?

Comment

Working...
                                X