cooking floor type material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooking floor type material

New to forno today, happy oven day to me, my concern is the cooking hearth area being constructed with fire brick and the materials used in there construction (ex. alluminum) and health risks of alszimers. Can i use sandstone dry stacked on top of a firebrick mortared together base

Re: cooking floor type material

Can i use sandstone dry stacked on top of a firebrick mortared together base
    No. Any natural stone except the pricey soapstone will fall apart in contact with direct flame. Really, there's nothing wrong with firebrick. From the Alzheimer's Association website:

Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.
    Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for a reply do u know wat the ancient cultures used pre -firebrick was it soapstone and or materials that were indiginous to region

Comment

by the way dmun reads like demon should i believe a response from evil (ha ha)

Comment

by the way dmun reads like demon should i believe a response from evil (ha ha)
          Or you could assume I have premature senile dementia from eating off of firebrick.

Dmun is a contraction of D. Munro. It was my father's fraternity nickname. All the Munro men in my family have "D" names, Donald, Douglas, David, Daniel...
          Thanks for a reply do u know wat the ancient cultures used pre -firebrick was it soapstone and or materials that were indiginous to region
          A lot of them used mud. Who knows what was in that, but you can assume that since alumina is one of the most common minerals on the planet, that there was some alumina in it. The Romans used volcanic rocks, both hard versions like basalt for the interior, and light versions like tufa for insulation.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

the Romans also used lead pipes.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Alumina-silicate firebrick are the standard here. Most of the ovens here are constructed with AlSi, don't think you have anything to worry about. However mine is not. lol But my next one will.
              Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Great stuff many thanks friend, im still building mine in my head im a mason by trade many things to consider, have u dreamed of using your or another oven to have a pizzarea bussiness

Comment

love your idea, this is a high dome configuration and thoughts on the low dome being better reflection as it is closer to top of pizza or too close for burning the top of breads

Comment

A doctor visited and old bloke in hospital and told him "I'm sorry, but you have Cancer... and Alzheimers"
                    They old bloke replied, "Well at least I haven't got cancer".

All clay products and glazes contain Alumina and they are considered safe.
                    Last edited by david s; 09-02-2011, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                      the Romans also used lead pipes.
                      and you may note, they're all dead now.........just sayin'

Comment

Hey Phil, what part of Ohio?
                        I'm in Fayette County........just south of Columbus about 30 min....

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyebreadman View Post
                          and you may note, they're all dead now.........just sayin'
                          Wow! if you were 2000 years old and you were still alive, that would be something.

Comment

Working...
                          X