How cheaply can an oven be built?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How cheaply can an oven be built?

I have an almost completed [indoor] 36" that is still under US $500. It has a [mostly] clay dome with a single ring of firebrick at the bottom for durability against fuel and tools. I would say that a clay dome is probably trickier than firebrick in terms of longevity unless you know a lot about your local clay. This is my second clay dome WFO so most of the mistakes have been made. Do a prototype if you try a clay dome. Another cost saving measure in my case is because of space restrictions (it's inside a lowish part of a greenhouse) the hearth is only ~20" off the ground and pit in front corrects for hearth height. I have ~8" of perlcrete on top of a 4" slab and used ~10" of perlite in a light clay slip over the dome and am covering that with a thin cob shell.

My first choice would have been a firebrick Pompeii but I don't have enough electrical resources to run a brick saw and don't want to modify my lifestyle enough to do so. My second choice would have been cast refractory dome and even though I live practically next door to where castable and firebricks are made I can't actually buy castable closer than 300 miles away and would have to pay ~$2/lb. in total to have it shipped.

I'm still pushing the 40+ gallons of water out of the dome insulation but have already done pizza at 800+F hearth and dome temps. Dome has gone over 1000F on my non-contact thermometer. Since the dome contains silica it theoretically could spall at 1600F but even the most intense fires (osage!!!) in the first WFO didn't do this. I am also doing some interesting things to capture and control heat from the exhaust flue, hopefully providing heat in the winter and running a large dehydrator in the summer.

Comment

Robert, If you're looking for a cost-effective way to build one, I just completed a 27" round oven with firebricks for the hearth for about $200. The firebrick came from a manufacturer here in Georgia and was about $80 for 5 x 3" thick 15" x 15" pavers, so I had fewer seems. It was a lot of work for just one person, but I used Kiko Denzer's cob method for the rest of the oven. The base was built from old broken concrete; then I poured a slab with quikcrete and rebar for the base of the oven. I could have left the base filled, but I wanted a place to store firewood and some tools. Dirt with high clay content is easily found in my yard; and wood shavings are usually free from any workshop.
      Don't get me wrong though; cheap is relative . . . I did throw out my back as a result of moving all the concrete blocks. My recommendation would be to enlist some help, or pick an easier material for the base.

All in all though, the oven performs very well so far (it's been only about 2 months). I can get it over 1000 in a little over an hour, and it retains decent heat for about 2 days.

Comment

Thanks again.
        I am going to go the fire brick dome and do it right the first time I think. Going to take a lot longer and cost more but I think it will be worth it in ht elong run.
        Hopeing to break ground this weekend. I need to sort out dome local dranage issues first to have somewhere to build.
        I will keep you all informed
        Rob

Comment

DavidS
          ......Still can't spell for shit.....thats whey I spend my days hitting shoes with hammers. Interesting point about the bricks....is there something different in both the brick and climate that make building a "common brick" oven in Aust more successfull??????

Regards Dave
          Last edited by cobblerdave; 09-23-2011, 03:24 AM.
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

So , are we better using a simple clay brick for the dome, or is a fire brick still the best answer ???
            In the ye olde days, the ovens were clay/ earth etc and firebricks not invented,,,
            so is fire brick required ???

Comment

Robert, for about $20 US, or a trip to the library, you should look into Kiko Denzer's "Build your own Earth Oven" book. He went through a lot of important principles and compared various oven types. The clay dome with brick first layer was pretty easy, and these types of structures can last for hundreds of years if cared for.
              The one major difference I can see in the clay versus brick/concrete debate is that clay will need to breathe, so you'll have to do a roof or keep under a tarp rather than seal the dome.

Comment

Firebrick has a higher aluminum content than regular clay bricks. This makes it more efficient at soaking up and dishing out heat than clay bricks. Yes clay bricks can be used to make a functional oven. However, the firebrick gives much more efficient use of fuel and retains heat better, even with insulation.

Comment

The Olde days were labor intensive.....
                  Thats the thing that put me off clay was the amount of effort required. Sourcing suitable clay (Im on sand) getting it back, crushing it to powder mixing in water and straw, making cobs to construct the dome. Lot of effort from the little reading I have done most of these construction inlist the help of friends and neibours. With brick ( firebrick or common) that parts already done and the clays fired rock hard as well so you can get on with the construction single handed. I enjoyed me sat morning construction time... did things bit by bit with no time pressures...the oven could just sit in the rain till next week.
                  The main thing is to build an oven whichever type and enjoy the journey

regards again...dave
                  Last edited by cobblerdave; 09-23-2011, 04:16 PM.
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once

My Build
                  My Door

Comment

Hi
                    Check out "QLD pizza oven" in the oven photo section of the forum.....Its built with brick commons and has seem service now for a year with no ill effects it seems.
                    You'll like the base...round brick very cool

Regards Dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

I have bild my for 300?

Comment

Well I have broken ground!
                        I had to fix up the drainage in the area where the oven is to go. I am aiming to get boxing and steel done this weekend coming and pour base the week after.
                        I have a length of SS tube 6 inch in dia, 100 besa bricks ( cheap off eBay) and kinda got a plan together. Cast in place 900mm ID.
                        Will let you all know as I go.
                        Rob

Comment

I really dont think you need too much rebar in the vertical hollow blocks? Or even need to fill them? The weight of the base will hold everything down! I have seen somewhere that you can use ordinary CLAY bricks for the dome. Yeah, I live in an earthquake zone, but the oven would be the least of my worries if we had a rattle! I have not checked out if the oven will effect your house insurance in any way, anyone know?

Comment

Well the oven is still underway !
                            Grounds dug for the slab, but several days of storms in a row has made the site very wet.
                            And if the weather was against me, it seems my body has plans to stop me also. I have a ganglion on my wrist thats been fine for years but now has decided to give me hell. A trip to the doc and he has sent me to a hand surgeon as the damm thing is in a spot where no one want to operate. This is makeing my Christmas day cook off looking a little shakie,,,,,

I do have a question for the crew.
                            My 2x20 pound gas bottles for the house are apx 10 m from where the oven will be.
                            Is this a problem?
                            I am thinking no as the gas BBQ I own has a flame 2 foot away from the gas bottle and I can always check for leaks at the gas bottles before lighting wfo. LPG is also heavyer then air so any leaking gas should remain a ground level and is out in the open, never had a gas leak... Am I just worring for nothing or find another spot for the wfo???
                            Any thoughts
                            Rob

Comment

"So , are we better using a simple clay brick for the dome, or is a fire brick still the best answer ???"

The true fire brick will last much longer, probably forever. Normal clay building bricks will tend to deteriorate over time and you may find yourself rebuilding your dome after 4 or 5 years of use.

Comment

I am still planning the oven, thinking cast in place still. Enough people have done it to make it a proven method. Just need to get the other issues sorted

Comment

Working...
                                X