design decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: design decisions

Building ovens on any wooden support structure is discouraged. Wood is flexible, sonotube footings move with frost heave, whereas ovens are heavy and rigid.
    The most rigid support has the best chance of success.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the input. I have been surfing around a bit and in general post and pier construction seems to be discouraged. I did find this site, but there isn't any real feedback about how it worked out in the long run. Wood-fired pizza oven

Does the fact that he has a post/slab/block/hearth arrangement (instead of just post/hearth) help to create a solid base for the oven?

Comment

Originally posted by tedzap View Post
        Thanks for the input. I have been surfing around a bit and in general post and pier construction seems to be discouraged. I did find this site, but there isn't any real feedback about how it worked out in the long run. Wood-fired pizza oven

Does the fact that he has a post/slab/block/hearth arrangement (instead of just post/hearth) help to create a solid base for the oven?
        Yes i guess it would, but it also adds enormously to the weight on each post which in turn encourages one or more of them to move, creating stresses. I still think masonary blocks with standard footings would be a superior and cheaper solution.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

"Here is my question, has anyone built a base using "pier and post" construction methods? "

Concrete piers are a very practical solution. See the following thread;

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ucer-3033.html

also check out Georges's (fxpose) build thread here;

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-12677.html

Comment

Working...
          X