Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floor heating problem - help!

Originally posted by ahmadyousaf View Post
    By referring to accident, do you mean it could blow up?
    Yes, if the flame goes out and you relight it without realising you could damage yourself.

Originally posted by ahmadyousaf View Post
    I have given the oven breath hole and an exhaust as well.
    Maybe thats why its not heating, too many ways out for the heat.
    A picture would help.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

"But I was thinking it should be cured after 3 drying fires."

Curing can take some time and should not be rushed. You have to be patient at this stage.

Comment

"I have given the oven breath hole and an exhaust as well."

I think your right Brickie, no breath hole necessary.
        Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

@brickie

No, its not a round burner. I have built the burner myself. Its a 2 feet long steel pipe with around 12 holes in it for the gas to come out and burn. I'll share some pics on weekend

And I was aware of the gas blowing risk, that's why if the flame goes out, I turn the gas valve off and I have a 4 feet long torch to ignite the flame keeping myself at a safe distance from the oven opening

@lwood

I'll shut off the breath hole and narrow down the exhaust as well. And I'll be adding more powerful burner in the oven this weekend

Thanks & Regards,
          Ahmad

Comment

Its a 2 feet long steel pipe with around 12 holes in it for the gas to come out and burn.
            It is the position of Forno Bravo that homemade gas burners in pizza ovens are unsafe. Please take all discussion of how to fire your oven with gas offline. Thanks.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

dmun, AMEN & THANK YOU!

Ahmad - no disrespect intended, I just hope there are fantastic healthcare and life insurance options available in Pakistan. I have a bad feeling your family will need one or the other very soon.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
                dmun, AMEN & THANK YOU!

Ahmad - no disrespect intended, I just hope there are fantastic healthcare and life insurance options available in Pakistan. I have a bad feeling your family will need one or the other very soon.

RT
                Yes, there are really great healthcare services available in Pakistan and we do have life insurance available. But you gotta clear your point, why would I need one of these by just building an oven?

I am an engineer and I built my oven myself without any plans or layouts. I know very well how things work and I'm absolutely sure about what I've built.

I just came to this forum to find an expert opinion.

But you gotta explain to me, why would I need a healthcare or a life insurance to fire a pizza oven?

Ahmad

Comment

I'm not discussing the gar burners. I was just trying to figure out why I couldn't heat up my oven floor.

I won't share my precious thingi (you know what) details online .

No offense, but just for your information, its not just homemade, it's an engineered thing (you know what) and it's more engineered than an ECU and much more safer than those available commercially

Hope you let it through...

Regards,
                  Ahmad

Comment

@RT

If you need any help regarding any design issues or any other issues of a brick oven, please feel free to contact me. I'd love to help you & it wont void my insurance

Regards,
                    Ahmad

Comment

Ahmad,

We aren't trying to give you a hard time. We really are trying to help.

If you built a dome-type refractory oven similar to the others built on this forum, your oven will likely perform better (and less expensive) using wood instead of gas as a fuel source.

We would enjoy seeing pictures of your oven.
                      Ken H. - Kentucky
                      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Dear Ken,

I'm really happy to see your reply . I'd surely share my experiences and pictures of my oven on this forum. Rather I feel really excited to show some of my humble work to others.

I appreciate your help and your gesture.

Thanks & Regards,
                        Ahmad

Comment

I am interested to see your work. I am still in the planning phase for an oven. (And likely will be until I get out of grad school) I am interested to see the materials you have available. I imagine that a few things are different than in the states or down under. Thanks for sharing.
                          Bevan

Comment

Is this Ahmad's oven ?

Comment

Sorry Neil - that was my oven

Ahmed, I used a weed burner torch for doing my original heating. Here is the link to a similar unit: Propane Torch

What I learned from this is that the very large flame without an impingment brick during the curing caused a hot spot and a crack. When I put a 12"x12"x2" impingement brick in, the flame hit it and allowed the heat to circulate better. Cool thing was that the flame hitting the brick (made in 1911) started to glow.

When I start the oven (or my smoker), I use the weed burner with the wood in the front half of the chamber and moderate the flame. Once the wood is going, I kill the flame and let the wood take over.

My estimate is that I would use nearly 2.5 gallons of propane to heat the oven based on my curing fire notes. Using a small burner ring would take quite a bit longer (basic reaction chemistry) as I can burn much more fuel than a ring burner. Also, the ring burner will blow its flames out due to the inability to maintain a proper flame front (too high of gas velocity out of the orifices) which is what you are probably suffering from!

Not sure where you are in PK, but if wood is available, by all means use it with gas as a supplementary starter.

Hope this helps

Chris
                              Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for a detailed explanation

I'm not using a ring burner. I have a pipe sort of burner with 3 flames and I've now placed it on the left side with the wall of my oven. (My oven is not an oval shaped, it's barrel)

I also have a burner by the back wall of the oven but when I put the both on, the left one starts to go off; it is having trouble maintaining its flame for some reason while the back one is on.

Yea, burnable logs are readily available in my area, I'd surely give a try by burning wood in the oven as well.

I also have redone the opening. My oven originally had a high opening which I thought was releasing too much precious warm air out of the oven.

Now I have 8" high and 15" wide oven opening and my doom height is around 18" at the maximum.

Thanks,

Ahmad

Comment

Working...
                                X