cast in place with home-brew ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cast in place with home-brew ??

Castable refractory is to soft for a floor unless it has been fired, you can scratch the floor easily. Fired castable is still not the ultimate. Fired bricks is the way to go. The homebrew is a poormans sustitute and whilst it will "work ", it is not recommended. Heck, Cal.Sil board would work, but who the feck would use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
      Castable refractory is to soft for a floor unless it has been fired, you can scratch the floor easily. Fired castable is still not the ultimate. Fired bricks is the way to go. The homebrew is a poormans sustitute and whilst it will "work ", it is not recommended. Heck, Cal.Sil board would work, but who the feck would use it.
      Castable refractory (unfired) is softer than firebrick, but harder than soapstone, which is often used for floors.
      Cal. Sil might be refractory enough, but has no density to store any heat and is way too soft.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi,
        I built my oven 2 years ago using a concrete mix made from Blue metal (crusher dust), Ciment Fondu, water and Antec melt extract fibers. It works out a lot cheaper than castable and after 14 firings it has no cracks. The recipe is on the Kerneos Ciment Fondu site Ciment Fondu?
        Regards John

Comment

Hi Johnb,
          can you post some pictures of your oven?
          Also, do you own a sloop?
          Dave

Comment

Dave, Sorry I don't own a sloop. Don't like water and probably too expensive. I have attached 3 photos to give you an idea.

Comment

Nice work, I particularly like the job you've done on the cast arch at the front. I wish we could fast forward ten years to see how it's holding up.
              I suspect it will out last you.
              Excuse the teasing re sloop john B

Comment

The arch is made out of the same material but with a higher fiber content and a slightly wetter mix so it flows into the corners better.

Comment

nice casting

Comment

Well, I have bitten the bullet and started. After much debat, research and questions here I have decided to do a full FB build....
                    Stay tuned

Comment

Working...
                    X