Joint finish ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joint finish ?

Al , my terminology may be wrong , thats the beauty of being a noob . What I am talking about is the concrete and wire mesh that is put on , on top of the foil thats on top of the outside of the brick oven .
    My Oven Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/s...ult-18532.html

Comment

Originally posted by jim81147 View Post
      Al , my terminology may be wrong , thats the beauty of being a noob . What I am talking about is the concrete and wire mesh that is put on , on top of the foil thats on top of the outside of the brick oven .
      I am also unclear, what book or reference are you using for your design? Do you have a drawing you could share? Few, if any of us use foil on top of the brick, directly on the brick is normaly insulation of some type. And a waterproof layer, stucco or house after that.

Your design may be sub standard compared to the way things are standard practice now.

Chip
      Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
        Your design may be sub standard compared to the way things are standard practice now.
        I completely agree, do some more research on this forum before you commit to a build that may end up second rate.

See my barrel build for some ideas.
        Last edited by brickie in oz; 10-13-2012, 11:09 PM.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Jim means "cladding" as the extra thermal mass layer added over the top of the bricks before insulating. I also think the foil idea is bad, having learnt from the experience of trying it myself. It acts as a layer to trap moisture inside the oven and could have damaging consequences if that water suddenly turns to steam.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David is correct , the extra thermal mass is what I am calling cladding . My 2 resources are this forum and "the bread builders" book
            My Oven Build

Comment

Originally posted by jim81147 View Post
              David is correct , the extra thermal mass is what I am calling cladding . My 2 resources are this forum and "the bread builders" book
              To quote others on this forum "Alan Scott is a great baker but not a great Oven Builder"

What do you plan to use the oven for? Bread, Pizza, All around cooking? And how often do you intend to fire it? Daily for mass production? or home use.

The reason I ask these questions is, Thermal mass = more wood and time to get it hot.

The oven will stay hot for long periods of time with lots of mass and lots of insulation but if you are not a production baker. 20 - 40 loaves of bread a day it is overkill. If you have lots of mass and little of no insulation under and over the oven I hope you own your own forest.

You would be much better off using more insulation and forget the 4 extra inches of mass. And ditch the foil it is a really bad idea.

If you primarily bake bread you may want to stand your bricks on their side to get a 4+ inch thick floor to match the thickness of the dome. but that is the only thermal mass I would add.

My Two cents.

Chip
              Chip

Comment

My plans are for mostly bread baking at this point with the occasional pizza or general cooking . I dont see myself using this oven every day , probably more like once every 7-10 days during summer months with a bit more frequency in the winter months . I have more time in the winter so thats when i would use it more . I see from looking at some of the build threads here that cladding ( thermal mass ) does not seem to be standard , or even important ( other than the mass of the bricks themselves ) but my brain just does not seem to understand this concept I guess .
                My Oven Build

Comment

Put the book on the shelf and do not reference it for an oven unless you plan on making multiple batches per day every day.

Comment

So what kind of heat retention could i expect with just the firebricks sitting on 5 1/2 inches of perlcrete with 7 inches of perlite covering the sides , back and top?
                    My Oven Build

Comment

If I fire mine on Sunday evening for 2 hours to 1000 degrees and door it off after cooking, it will take it until Thursday or Friday to reach ambient, and is usable for cooking through Wednesday. You should be able to do the same.

Comment

Hi Tscarborough,

Your oven will maintain usable heat that long, with the door off? Mine with the door off and there a breeze or a windy day will be sapped of heat within 1 1/2 days. With the door on I can cook for a week.

Comment

No that is with the insulated door on.

Comment

Tscarborough , what kind , and how much insulation do you have? And does it make a difference being a vault instead of a dome? Thanks.
                            My Oven Build

Comment

It is a built up door of heatstop refractory cement and perlite. Vault vs dome, no. I put this in 4 hours ago after a low fire to 300 degrees:

Comment

This is what it looks like now, I closed the tinfoil over it and it has a couple more hours to go. The oven is at 275 degrees.

Comment

Working...
                                X