Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermal mass across whole floor or biased centrally ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thermal mass across whole floor or biased centrally ?

Originally posted by uk_exile View Post
    ATK406, I assume the middle of your floor is getting hotter than remainder of floor due to dome heat reflection. Does that hint toward it being better for me to add more heat retention in the middle rather than making the whole floor heat retaining ?
    No. As a practical matter, it is important to fire your oven to temperature, sweep the fire to one side and close the door to let the heat equalize for 30 minutes or so. That sequence pretty well equalizes most of the variables you are concerned about. That is the way I do it anyway. When I don't equalize the oven for that 30 minutes, oven performance suffers and (for me) it usually means burned or uneven cooking of the pizza. HTH
    Last edited by Lburou; 02-05-2013, 12:53 PM.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Hi Lburou,

Why sweep them to one side rather than spread across the entire floor to equalize?

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone
        Damn right. When you see the news coming out of China, where the smog is so bad they have major pile ups on the freeways due to zero visibility, you can't help but think that anything the cousins across the ditch do is just a single drop of rain in a very big ocean.
        The wife and I are going there in April - I've heard the smog was bad, is it that way all over the country? I've seen some pic's from Beijing and it is UGLY!
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
          Hi Lburou,

Why sweep them to one side rather than spread across the entire floor to equalize?
          It probably doesn't make much difference, but I don't like burned pizza bottoms -depends on how soon you are going to be cooking. Perhaps I could have labeled my process as 'technique' instead of 'procedure'.
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Les,

I was in Beijing earlier this year and yes the smog is awful in the "City" but outside the metro area it was not as bad, Shanghai was not bad. Xian, pretty bad. There is a reason why many people where masks in China and it is not due to having a cold. Word of caution, I have to China several times and each time I seem to come home with some type of respiratory illness which takes me a month or so to shake off. Maybe its me but I have a sneaking suspicion its the PM10 levels. Have fun great sights to see.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi UK_Exile
              We've just bought the Fozmex kitset - due to arrive in the next day or two. Am interested in the thread you started re thermal mass across whole floor or based centrally with the cooking tile. Am keen to hear where you are up to in your thinking on this one and whether you did go for a Fozmex kitset in the end.

Comment

Working...
              X