Won't be starting - Pizza ovens banned by local council

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Won't be starting - Pizza ovens banned by local council

Start a new church/cult that makes the wood fired oven the working symbol of your religious beliefs. Then you can claim they are infringing on your worship.

Now that is a church that I would attend regular.

(intended with tongue-in-cheek)

Comment

At the point the green flax is in place, the fire itself is out and you're using radiant heat from the stones.

Comment

I'm trying as it's only changing a few words in a policy but ultimately the councils aroud here have much bigger items to deal with.
        Need to remember I'm in city where we had massive earthquake, there are thousands of homes in need of complete replacement, majority of other hiouses & buildings need repairs, basically no central business district left as 75% of the buildings (both low & high rise) have been or need to be demolished, etc. Rules changes to allow a fairly recently introduced form of cooking aren't high priority

Comment

I can't find any of the really good before / after images but here's just one link. Majority of CBD is gone
          Christchurch CBD: Before and after - iWitness Story - iWitness - Home - 3 News

Comment

Thats a good point - it could be fought - But is that the right thing to do at this point.

Im guessing from your post that you do not think it is (And I think most in NZ will agree).

Kia Kaha.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Tank View Post
              Thats a good point - it could be fought - But is that the right thing to do at this point.

Im guessing from your post that you do not think it is (And I think most in NZ will agree).

Kia Kaha.

Chris
              Yes, rather than repeatedly hassle council over something petty like approval to use a oven I'd rather their full efforts went into fixing roads, sewers, public services, etc. My house got damaged 2yrs ago (fortunately only minor & still livable) but still it could be another 2-3yrs before it gets fixed by insurers / EQC. In meantime we live with it, can't really sell it in damaged state, can only remain with current insurer (cab't shop around for best price premiums),etc. Not ideal but far better than what we'd be living through in other countries & I suspect much better than say New Orleans as at least we'll be full repaired in time by insurance / govt

Comment

Appears like the Environment Canterbury (ECAN) regulation will never change
                Buyers could be burned | Stuff.co.nz
                Can I light an outdoor fire or brazier on my residential property?
                So now thinking about gas. Has anyone fitted a LPG gas burner into a WFO ? How effective ? Taste similar ? We've currently using a ceramic plate in a hooded gas BBQ & it works ok. Pizza takes about 5mins to cook.

Comment

Have you considered building a pizza oven rocket stove virtually no smoke and very little wood required.
                  Dont tell council

or
                  https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...651872f275.jpg
                  Last edited by TropicalCoasting; 01-06-2015, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Looks interesting TC. What happens to the gasses generated? They have to go somewhere.
                    Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

When designed properly length of pipe width etc they are very efficient
                      This isnt a pizza oven but you can imagine if the end of the chimney was inside the oven there would really only be the smoke from a burning pizza
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52d5BhxCbRk

theres a few more ideas here

This one is closer to a trad oven but with a rocket stove adaptation

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gV1YAJjknt...0/IMG_2769.JPG

heres more stuff
                      http://donkey32.proboards.com/thread...et-pizza-bread
                      Last edited by TropicalCoasting; 01-06-2015, 05:03 AM.

Comment

G'day Uk-exile
                        Using a BBQ to cook pizza just doesn't do it. All the heat from underneath heats the stone to reasonable heats but the top heat to cook the top has to be reflected off the hood.... Sorry results, especially as soon as you raise the hood to check you lose the heat ! Yes I've tried a webber Q 200 and hooded 4 burner.
                        Best results I've got with a pizza stone. That is the nearest to a WFO is with a domestic gas stove grill . Mines a domestic gas not a bottle so it runs slightly slower and lower. Cook the hell out of the stone under the flame grill for a good 20 mins/30 mins. Pull out the draw with the stone pop the pizza on. You can get pretty close to perfect in 5 mins.
                        Problem with the flame so close to hot oils from cheese and meats you run the risk of a small oil fire which is solvable by pulling the draw out straight away. But burnt oil doesn't add to the flavour.
                        Forno bravo has added stainless steel domed oven too, Bella outdoor range. Quick heat up pizza ovens with minimal heat retention I'd recon but one of those with gas would be great. ( that proper gas cut off like a a domestic oven)
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Had a friend stay here who I made a pizza for on a pizza stone in an electric oven,
                          Full whack for 20 minutes to get the stone and oven hot then put the pizza on 10 to 12 minutes and out
                          She couldn't believe you could get a pizza out of a regular fan forced electric oven that tasted as good as her wood fired pizza oven at home

Comment

G'day
                            That's interesting, cause before settling in my current house nearly 16 years ago, I lived in Sydney and the house oven was a gas cook top and a fan forced electric oven. That was pretty much the standard for housing in Sydney at that time. A 3mm thick baking tray was the "pizza stone " the thermal mass" and me and the kids cooked a pretty good pizza.
                            My boys still come around and we enjoy cooking pizza with them and there friends. That's what it's all about .... Seriously .. Good food
                            If you don't want a wood fired pizza oven... Fair enough. I love cooking for my friends and all welcome... That what its about.
                            Regards dave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once
                            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                            My Door
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I still want a WFO its not just about making pizzas, its about everything else too.
                              The theatre and the long cooks and burning wood and making something with your own hands and the smell of smoke.

Comment

I do want a WFO but can't have one :-( Council would find out about any type of solid fuel burning so it's not even worth considering the rocket oven or other variants. Would just take 1 neighbour to report it. Fines are fairly large plus they would force demolition of the oven.

I am truly surprised how effective the terracotta plate is. It's about 15mm thick & is glazed. Made in France. Can't recall brand. Works much much better than when we used to use 30mm granite in electric oven on maximum temperature heat soaking for 1hr or more. We put the plate in hooded gas BBQ & on max for minimum 20mins, typically 30mins before cooking anything. By then the plate is well heat saturated & hood thermometer showing about 300degC. Takes about 5mins to cook & get really crispy bases, however a bit more heat from above would be good with some toppings.

If there's a decent plan somewhere for fitting a gas burner to a brick oven I'd still consider doing it, but not willing to spend $1500 for kit & materials on a hunch that it might work (plus another $3000-$5000 for outdoor area walls, paving, bench, etc). With uncertain performance unsure it's worth the time & money cost to get the social & food rewards.
                                Last edited by uk_exile; 01-06-2015, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X