Clear All

Re: newbie need advise for my oven

Originally posted by gonzo420 View Post
    I just saw an ad on gumtree for ceramic blankets
    Price: $70 per roll 600mm wide x 25mm thick x 3600mm long
    BUY 2 FOR $99
    My bricks+ blanket= 110mm~ of insulation
    So that should be good right?
    Users on Gumtree just phish for your email addy so they can spam you, why else do you think the deal was so good?
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

ummm I didn't give anyone my email addy... just called the number. Probably someone selling a stock shipped from china

How thick do they normally come as?

Comment

Gudday
        This is getting to be an awfull amount of effort and good materials going into an oven that's to be pulled apart in a years time and hopefully be able to save the materials . If it was me I would consider two options
        One ....buy myself a pizza stone, save the materials and research and dream of next year
        Two..... Build an E shaped dry stacked block stand. Bolt together a top from layers of 12 mm compressed concrete and build me a proper ridge didge 25inch oven on that with all the bells and whistles and have 12 months to play. Then ....comes the time, forklift that puppy off and on to a trailer and happily take it to its perminent home.....
        Just saying ......
        Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

The bricks are 32x12 and 80mm thick, they are the same size as the fire bricks.
          If you say 100mm thick then I shouldn't cut them and I'll use them 'as is' on top of the dome. I guess breaking them apart and do the homebrew mix will make the insulation better but wouldn't it be fine just like this?

I placed a firebrick on the stove this morning with the insulating one on top of it for more than an hour. The temp on top of the insulating brick was 30 degrees. on top of the fire brick was 160 and where the insulating brick touches the fire brick it was 77 degrees.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
          They will conform to the spherical surface better if you halve them.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
            forklift that puppy off and on to a trailer and happily take it to its perminent home.....
            Just saying ......
            Regards dave
            If I can use a forklift then I'd build a proper one to begin with.

My design is pretty simple. The heaviest part of my oven will be the dome which will be separate from the cooking floor. It will take a few men to lift up and put on a trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              They will conform to the spherical surface better if you halve them.
              If they conform is that a good thing or bad? Do you mean it will create more mess to take heat into and by that make the oven not efficient? Sorry if my understanding is poor

I bought the ceramic blankets today. I will cover the dome with the blankets and then maybe cut 'em to half and extra insulate the dome

With the ceramic blankets I think I'm good to go!

Bought the refractory concrete and the rendering mix too! Can't wait to get my hands dirty

Comment

If you halve the bricks you should end up with a more spherical form to render over the final coat (presuming you are intending an igloo rather than a dog house). Love to see some photos.

Comment

Hi again,
                  A quick question but I'm re-watching demos of constructing a barrel shape oven, and I noticed all of them place the chimney inside the oven rather than outside like the pompeii shape. Which way should I do it? I was gonna do it outside..

Comment

Outside is better IMO. Outside makes it a crossdraft, inside makes it an updraft. Crossdraft produces more even heating and more efficient. Check out Lburou's build for cross draft. If you put it inside the oven you will need a damper on the flue.This configuration does not have an entry to hav to work past, check out Brickie in Oz's build.
                    Last edited by david s; 07-28-2013, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Ok I see. And also I don't get the damper part.. if you twist the damper on, won't the smoke just escape thru the front door?

Comment

Yes, if the damper is fully closed that is exactly what will happen. But you open it fully to start, then partially close it as the heat builds up, then fully close it for retained heat cooking.

Comment

Will it be still be useful on an outside chimney or have no functionality? Just chucking more labor into the project haha

Comment

A damper on the flue that is outside the oven is not really of much use because it draws both from the oven and the outside. When the door to the oven is placed either partially closed or fully closed it acts as a damper to the outer flue.

Comment

Last night I was lying the bricks on top.. I think my oven is too long what do you think?
                              It's 122 cm long and 61cm wide

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Do you think the distance to the chimney will be too long? The fire will be in the back..
                              My oven looks like a coffin..

Comment

Last night I was lying the bricks on top.. I think my oven is too long what do you think?
                                I don't know what to think. What the hell are you building? The good thing is that it is brick and it will probably stand and last forever...
                                Check out my pictures here:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X