oven stand size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: oven stand size

But, insulating under the oven is the most important. You could even go a little bigger
    Wise words. Go as big as you can, you won't regret it.

You should be able to obtain vermiculite or perlite, which will make an effective insulator base for your calsil boards. This is what I did, and the next morning, I cannot feel any heat under my support slab from a 900F oven the night before.

Comment

bigt

I did EXACTLY what you did. Started to build a Brickwood oven - I built the base and then I discovered this forum so I had to do some serious replanning.

I ended up building a 32 inch Pompeii which I am very happy with.

I'm going to take a contrary view on size... I have had a very large pizza party and made 50 pizzas in my oven and nobody was bored! (they only take 2-3 minutes each). I can fit a 25 pound turkey in my oven and I can also fit about 3 large pots in it (probably more - haven't tried). If I am making pizzas for only my wife and I, I can heat the oven sufficiently in a little over an hour.

I'm sure there are some good reasons to have a larger oven but I am not sure what they are! Of course I have never owned a larger oven so it could be that I don't know what I am missing!

My build is here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html
      Good luck!
      Neil

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
        bigt

I did EXACTLY what you did. Started to build a Brickwood oven - I built the base and then I discovered this forum so I had to do some serious replanning.

I ended up building a 32 inch Pompeii which I am very happy with.

I'm going to take a contrary view on size... I have had a very large pizza party and made 50 pizzas in my oven and nobody was bored! (they only take 2-3 minutes each). I can fit a 25 pound turkey in my oven and I can also fit about 3 large pots in it (probably more - haven't tried). If I am making pizzas for only my wife and I, I can heat the oven sufficiently in a little over an hour.

I'm sure there are some good reasons to have a larger oven but I am not sure what they are! Of course I have never owned a larger oven so it could be that I don't know what I am missing!

My build is here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html
        Good luck!
        Neil
        A 32 is good. My experience so far makes me think I wouldn't build anything under 30 inches, and 36 would be "roomy".
        Of course, over here people expect a "Fat Aussie" pizza, which requires a cooler floor and a longer cook to ensure that the more heavily loaded toppings are cooked before the crust burns, so a bigger oven is helpful..
        Last edited by wotavidone; 02-25-2014, 07:18 PM.

Comment

I think that there are several ovens on this site that have built 42" ovens with just one box (six pieces of 1' x 3') of CalSil. You don't need the CalSil under the flu entry. But, I think there will still be enough from the cuts to include that area.

I just want to add to what has already been advised to deciding oven size. That is fuel (wood) availability. One reason that I built a large oven is because I have plenty of wood resources. I don't know much about your area. From the single pic that I have of your oven stand, I don't see much. From what I have read about your great country, ya'll have a lot .
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I built a 36" Pompeii and it does all that I need and has room to spare. The bigger they are the more wood you will need and the longer it takes to get them hot. I can get enough heat for a couple of pizza in a bit over an hour.

For those of us whose axe has a black snake for a handle that is an important consideration.
            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

I don't like that Spanish bloke, Manwell Labor, either.
              My axe definitely has a black snake for a handle.
              I have a system now. I only pick up thin stuff, 2 inches or less, that I can break across the tow bar of the ute into lengths just short enough to lay in the tray.
              (The beauty of dead eucalyptus is that it is very brittle and you can snap it fairly easily.)
              When I get home, I set up the drop saw with a tungsten tipped blade, cut the sticks into length as I drag them out of the ute. I have the wheel barrow set up so the cut lengths fall into it as I go. Very efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                I think that there are several ovens on this site that have built 42" ovens with just one box (six pieces of 1' x 3') of CalSil. You don't need the CalSil under the flu entry. But, I think there will still be enough from the cuts to include that area.

I just want to add to what has already been advised to deciding oven size. That is fuel (wood) availability. One reason that I built a large oven is because I have plenty of wood resources. I don't know much about your area. From the single pic that I have of your oven stand, I don't see much. From what I have read about your great country, ya'll have a lot .
                I live in the bald prairies so wood is available but I have to buy it...a 1/2cord of split birch runs about $180-200. Would there be much of a difference in fuel between a 32" &36"?

Part of the decision on will be based on how much room I have in the location where I put the base as I prefer it to not stick too far out into the yard but again probably a pretty small difference between 32 and 36. How much extra space would be required for a small enclosure if I go down that route?

Comment

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
                  I live in the bald prairies so wood is available but I have to buy it...a 1/2cord of split birch runs about $180-200. Would there be much of a difference in fuel between a 32" &36"?

Part of the decision on will be based on how much room I have in the location where I put the base as I prefer it to not stick too far out into the yard but again probably a pretty small difference between 32 and 36. How much extra space would be required for a small enclosure if I go down that route?
                  I will defer the fuel usage, between the two, to those who have built those size ovens. But, I think that fuel usage is also dependant on insulation. I wouldn't compare the fuel usage results from both sizes with different insulation types and thicknesses. That would be "comparing apples to oranges" .

For an enclosure, I would go for 3" of ceramic fiber blanket. And / or, as much loose fill vermiculte or perlite that I could aquire or afford.

A 36' oven: Will be 36" ID, of course. 36"
                  Add 4" for the brick X 2 for each side. 8"
                  Add 3" of insulation X 2 for each side. 6"
                  Add 3.5" for metal studs X 2 for each side. 7"
                  That is 57 " minimum, for the width. You can cheat in a little, if you are careful with the stud placement.

The depth, will depend on those figures + how deep of an entry that you decide. There are thinner metal studs available, but I don't know if they are OK for exterior builds. I work with wood. Had, I have went with a dog house (I meant enclosure ), I would have split treated studs on the table saw for framing.
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

So if I took my 50“ wide slab and make it 60" and extended the 52" depth to 70 inches that should give me plenty of room?

Since my base is 48x48 I'm assuming that 11 inches of overhang on either side will be ok? If I add o to my existing hearth slab to be wider and deeper it will end up being 3.5" thick and has rebar inside.

Only other option would be to expand my depth front of my slab slightly and build a 32" and just go with an igloo. Does that sound right?
                    Last edited by thebigt; 02-26-2014, 07:32 PM.

Comment

So if I took my 50? wide slab and make it 60" and extended the 52" depth to 70 inches that should give me plenty of room?
                      Yes. for a 36" enclosure with a brick and a half deep flu entry plus a 4" face brick and 2" to spare.

Since my base is 48x48 I'm assuming that 11 inches of overhang on either side will be ok? If I add o to my existing hearth slab to be wider and deeper it will end up being 3.5" thick and has rebar inside.
                      That would be fine. Most of the real load will still be sitting inline with the 48 columns"

Only other option would be to expand my depth front of my slab slightly and build a 32" and just go with an igloo. Does that sound right?
                      Yes.

Sorry, for the late reply. I was working a lot of hours this week. My answers are based on a deep flu entry. A brick and a half allows plenty of room for an 8" flu. You may not need that large of a flu for a 36". Surely not, for the 32". But, there are plenty of builders out there with the first hand experience to comment on that .

Comment

Thanks for the help Gulf...no worries on the late reply, im just thankful for the advice

Comment

A few years ago I was given about 600 IXL Masonry clay brick that were dismantled from a chimney from a home built in 1957. Am I correct in assuming that these would be no good for the dome and only good for dressing up the outside of my oven?

Comment

A few years ago I was given about 600 IXL Masonry clay brick that were dismantled from a chimney from a home built in 1957. Am I correct in assuming that these would be no good for the dome and only good for dressing up the outside of my oven?
                            Veneer only.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                            John Ruskin

Comment

That would be my advice. They probably would make a vey good looking face brick. I would try to find a medium density firebrick for the dome and floor. Have you priced firebrick in your area?

Comment

I did a couple of years ago and it was about 2.68 per brick but havent gotten updated pricing. I was also going to check with another supplier and see what their pricing is like on both bricks and mortar.

I think ive finally settled on building a 36" oven since I have to pour new concrete anyways, just need to confirm the number of bricks that will be needed then get my plan drawn up and get spousal approval to proceed.

As for that clay brick it does have some chips in a few bricks but I agree it will look good as vaneer face brick.

Comment

Working...
                                X